Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Do GUPs have to be in the same folder as the clients they are updating?

• 1.  Do GUPs have to be in the same folder as the clients they are updating?

Posted Dec 08, 2009 08:47 AM
    I would like to put GUPs inb their own group purely for orgnsiation reasons, but does they have to be in the same folder as the other clients that will update from them?  I am thinking no, but you never know.

• 2.  RE: Do GUPs have to be in the same folder as the clients they are updating?

Posted Dec 08, 2009 08:55 AM
    yes has to be in same group

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/multiple-gup-sepmr5

Best practices for Group Update Provider (GUP) from Symantec Endpoint Protection MR3 or earlier builds

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/230d1cf8e23d01e2882574a90062d485?OpenDocument

• 3.  RE: Do GUPs have to be in the same folder as the clients they are updating?
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 08, 2009 09:11 AM
    If you are taking about GUP in RU5 the answer in NO
    In RU5 the GUP is no more GROUP dependent. The GUP is dependent on the SUBNET. the client will  get update from the GUP that is in its subnet, irrespective of the group they are in

• 4.  RE: Do GUPs have to be in the same folder as the clients they are updating?

Posted Dec 08, 2009 10:33 AM
    Thanks Pra

• 5.  RE: Do GUPs have to be in the same folder as the clients they are updating?

Posted Dec 08, 2009 10:36 AM
    As Prachand pointed out there were major changes with RU5 and I have not personally had a chance to test all of them out.

Prior to RU5  you needed atleast on client in the group with the GUP to force it to activate and pull definitions down.    This also would be what caused the updated definitions to pull down too.   Once activated machines from other groups could be made to point to it because it was alread a GUP.  Works but doesnt sound like it will do what your wanting to do.   I will have to test out what Prachand says yet and see if it works as I am using a sever as my gup and would prefer to have it following a different scan schedule than it is now.

• 6.  RE: Do GUPs have to be in the same folder as the clients they are updating?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 08, 2009 11:04 AM
    GUP can be part of different group, but it needs to be in same LAN as that of client takingthe updates from GUP.

• 7.  RE: Do GUPs have to be in the same folder as the clients they are updating?

• 8.  RE: Do GUPs have to be in the same folder as the clients they are updating?

Posted Dec 09, 2009 04:11 AM
    Its all fine, answered perfectly.

Was having an issue with a GUP that I had grouped outside of the main group.

But is working fine - yes, we are using RU5 and muktple GUP options.

• 9.  RE: Do GUPs have to be in the same folder as the clients they are updating?

Posted Dec 10, 2009 09:01 AM
    NOTE - THEY DO NOT BEED THE SAME GROUP.

THEY HOWEVER DO NEED TO BE IN THE SAME POLICY AS THE DESKTOPS I.E. WHERE THE GUPS ARE DEFINED

• 10.  RE: Do GUPs have to be in the same folder as the clients they are updating?

Posted Dec 10, 2009 09:10 AM
    If they are not in the same policy, they will not appear in the globalist.xml and hence SEPM cannot tell the clients to use GUP xxxx...etc

• 11.  RE: Do GUPs have to be in the same folder as the clients they are updating?

Posted Dec 10, 2009 09:48 AM
    GUPs do not have to be in the same group.

Example - you have a group that contains a bunch of systems that you would like to act as GUPs for other groups.  Typically, this occurs if you are using AD sync for group management.  You create an LU  policy for that group which specifies "localhost" as the GUP.  This makes all clients in that group a GUP.  You can then apply an LU policy to other groups which refer to one or more of the GUPs in your GUP group.  Simple and it works - RU5 or earlier.

• 12.  RE: Do GUPs have to be in the same folder as the clients they are updating?

Posted Dec 10, 2009 11:10 AM
    As long as 2 conditions are fulfilled then clients can update from GUPs. (RU5)

1. The GUP gets a LiveUpdate settings policy that identifies it as a GUP, and reports its status to the SEPM.

AND

2. The client gets a LiveUpdate settings policy that tells it to use the GUP list, and there is one in its subnet.