Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Licensing of V12.1.3 SEPM

• 1.  Licensing of V12.1.3 SEPM

Posted Jul 02, 2013 06:43 AM

Hi Everybody,

In our environment i do have almost eight SEP Manager console accros India. Currently we are using the SEPM version 11.1.6 with approxmitely 1700 users, we are in progress of migrating from V11 to V12. Since there is no licensing terms in V11 of SEPM so we don't worry about product activation but in version 12 of SEPM we do have a licensing term and the product activation.

My question is how do we split the lisence of 1700 users for all manager console, averagely we have 300 users per manager console.

Thanks and Regards.

MRF FMS-HO

• 2.  RE: Licensing of V12.1.3 SEPM

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jul 02, 2013 07:01 AM

Hello,

Are these 8 SEPM Managers across India replicating with each other are they independent.?

Let's consider as "Group" any independent SEPM or SEPM array. Here is an example:

- Group A => SEPM1 and SEPM2 are in replication
     - Group B => SEPM3 and SEPM4 are sharing the same single database (failover/load-balancing)
     - Group C => SEPM5 is stand-alone

You need to import your license file on one SEPM for each group (for instance: SEPM1, SEPM3 and SEPM5).

You just need to ensure the number of seats in your license file cover the number of SEP clients managed by all SEPMs (SEPM1 + SEPM2 + SEPM3 + SEPM4 + SEPM5).

Reference:

How to manage license file when there are several Symantec Endpoint Protection Managers in place?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164392

As per the Article HOWTO80852A Symantec Endpoint Protection license applies to the Symantec Endpoint Protection clients. For instance, in a network with 50 endpoints, the license must provide for a minimum of 50 seats. Instances of the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager do not require a license.

A Symantec Endpoint Protection product license is applied to an entire installation regardless of the number of replicated sites or domains that compose the installation. For instance, a license for 100 seats covers a two-site installation where each site has 50 seats.

If you have not implemented replication, you may deploy the same .slf file to multiple Symantec Endpoint Protection management servers. The number of clients reporting to your management servers must not exceed the total number of licensed seats.

If you are planning to upgrade or migrate to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.3, please take a look at the latest how-to article created by our very own SEP content council team.

Best practices for upgrading to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.x

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH163700

Secondly, check these Articles - 

Licensing Symantec Endpoint Protection

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO80778

About the licensing enforcement rules

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO80852

SEP 12.1 and License Concept

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/sep-121-and-license-concept

Hope that helps!!

• 3.  RE: Licensing of V12.1.3 SEPM

Posted Jul 02, 2013 07:03 AM

Hello,

are those eight SEPMs connected in somehow? I.e. are them in replication or sharing the same DB or just autonomous installations? Once I know this information, I'll answer to your initial question more accurately.

Note: 1700 users can be easily managed by a single SEPM, it you need to strictly separate clients management (for example by region), you can create multiple "domains" in the same SEPM. I suggest you to simplify your architecture to simplify its administration and free resources, whatever was the reason to install 8 SEPMs for 1700 clients (please, share it), I am pretty sure we can suggest you a better solution than that.

• 4.  RE: Licensing of V12.1.3 SEPM
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 02, 2013 07:57 AM

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Symantec community.

I would be glad to answer your question.

SEP 11.x licensing is basically just a "paper" license product. However, with SEP 12.1 the licensing is a "software" license product and uses a  license file.

Depending upon the license vendor, you receive either a product license serial number or a Symantec License file. License files are either sent to you in email or downloaded from a secure Web site. The license file uses the file extension .SLF (Symantec license file ). When the license file is sent by email, it is attached to the email as a .ZIP file. You must extract the .SLF file from the .ZIP file.

Save the license file to a computer that can be accessed from the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console. Many users save the license on the computer that hosts the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager and also save a copy of the license to a different computer or removable storage media for safekeeping.

Refer this article: SEP 12.1 & License concept

Helpful Articles: How to manage license file when there are several Symantec Endpoint Protection Managers in place?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164392

About product upgrades and licenses

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55308

• 5.  RE: Licensing of V12.1.3 SEPM
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 02, 2013 08:51 AM

What described by Mithun is correct but not exhaustive, consider that same scenario but with an example about number of clients too:

- Group A => SEPM1 and SEPM2 are in replication => 300 clients
    - Group B => SEPM3 and SEPM4 are sharing the same single database => 400 clients
    - Group C => SEPM5 is stand-alone => 1000 clients
    i.e. 3 SEPM indipendent sites for 1700 clients

If you install the same single license file for 1700 seats on each of the above indipendent SEPM sites, you will have 3 autonomous seats counters up to 1700, i.e. the product won't be able to verify if in total you are within or beyond the max number of seats and notify you of that for remediation on the overdeployment.

That is, if your SEPMs are "connected", i.e. they are sharing the seat counters, one global license is enough, if they are indipendent, you should use indipendent license files too.

• 6.  RE: Licensing of V12.1.3 SEPM

Posted Jul 03, 2013 12:28 AM

@ Beppe

The reason for this structure is, we do have eight manufacturing plants accros India. I know the SEPM can capable of centerlized management but we do have some other application which requires the centerilized management like SAP, LOTUS, KESAYA and ect. So we cannot create some more burden for network. This is the reason we build the structure.

All manager console are independent and they dont have any communication between them.

Regards.

MRF FSM-HO

• 7.  RE: Licensing of V12.1.3 SEPM

Posted Jul 03, 2013 07:41 AM

Hi, 

In the case of Separate SEPM's you may require separate license for each SEPM.

for SEPM level replication you can schedule SEPM and from network level you can put a cap on the bandwidth of the SEPM to SEPM.

Also refer 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO80778

Regards

Ajin

• 8.  RE: Licensing of V12.1.3 SEPM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 03, 2013 10:32 AM

Hi,

I guess you can purchase single license as it will be cost effective because while purchasing bulk amout of license you can get better pricing.

Can request them to split single license file into multiple license files as per the business requirement.

• 9.  RE: Licensing of V12.1.3 SEPM

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jul 05, 2013 05:00 AM

Hello,

As per the Article HOWTO80852, A Symantec Endpoint Protection license applies to the Symantec Endpoint Protection clients. For instance, in a network with 50 endpoints, the license must provide for a minimum of 50 seats. Instances of the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager do not require a license.

A Symantec Endpoint Protection product license is applied to an entire installation regardless of the number of replicated sites or domains that compose the installation. For instance, a license for 100 seats covers a two-site installation where each site has 50 seats.

If you have not implemented replication, you may deploy the same .slf file to multiple Symantec Endpoint Protection management servers. The number of clients reporting to your management servers must not exceed the total number of licensed seats.

Hope that helps!!

• 10.  RE: Licensing of V12.1.3 SEPM

Posted Jul 05, 2013 05:17 AM

• 11.  RE: Licensing of V12.1.3 SEPM

Posted Jul 19, 2013 11:08 AM

Hello MRF FSM-HO,

did you find a comment more valuable than others to flag this post as resolved?