SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Migration User

Migration UserApr 10, 2009 09:36 AM

Migration User

Migration UserApr 10, 2009 09:41 AM

• 1.  SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Apr 09, 2009 11:21 AM

In a separate post, Paul Murgatroyd wrote the following:

"SEP 12 vs. SEP 11.  Firstly, lets give the two products their correct titles.

When SEP12 launches, it will be called "Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition 12.0" you will be hearing a lot about this in the next month or so, we are currently running our Early Adopter Program with a number of SMB customers.  It is specifically targetted at the SMB (or < 250) market and is priced cheaper than SEP 11.0 up to that point.  The product has been specifically designed to be easy to install, use and manage.  We expect most administrators wont have to touch the console for weeks at a time once the product is installed.  It features AntiVirus and AntiSpyware, TruScan Proactive Threat Scan and Network Threat Protection.  There is currently no supported migration path FROM SEP 11.0 - this is because as stated we believe that customers who have SEP 11 running now are in general happy OR they need more than SEPSBE 12.0 will be able to give them."

I have a couple of questions.  Most of our clients are running the full SEP 11 (I don't know why they are not running the current SEPSBE).

1.  Will it be possible to install SEPSBE 12 and push out SEPSBE 12 clients over SEP 11 clients (either managed or unmanaged)?

2.  If the SEPSBE 12 client is installed on a server, will the TruScan Proactive Threat Scan piece be automatically disabled like it is when SEP 11 on a server?

• 2.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Apr 09, 2009 11:42 AM

Great, I just bought another years support for SEP

• 3.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Apr 10, 2009 09:36 AM
    ...feedback on this?

• 4.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Apr 10, 2009 09:41 AM
    Nice query....

• 5.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Apr 13, 2009 05:51 PM
    Hi folks,

We've posted a few blogs in case you're interested in downloading the pre-release version and checking out the functionaltiy.  You can find the blog about the small business edition program here:
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/symantec-endpoint-protection-small-business-edition-pre-release-testing-program

You'll have an opportunity to communicate directly with the product management team regarding the SBE (small business edition). We'll also have numerous pieces of content over the next several weeks highlighting "intelligent liveupdate," "simplified reporting," "install times," " improving supportability," "intelligent mail capability," "auto manage security," among many other topics focused exclusively on
    SBE.  We'll also be launching a Product specific forum area for "Endpoint Protection - small business" - which will be found here:
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/security/forums 

Best,

Eric

• 6.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Apr 13, 2009 11:17 PM

1.  Will it be possible to install SEPSBE 12 and push out SEPSBE 12 clients over SEP 11 clients (either managed or unmanaged)?

2.  If the SEPSBE 12 client is installed on a server, will the TruScan Proactive Threat Scan piece be automatically disabled like it is when SEP 11 on a server?

• 7.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Apr 13, 2009 11:55 PM
    Since SEPSBE 12 is new, everyone has the similar question to what "drew at NF" has posted.

Address that..

• 8.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Apr 14, 2009 07:05 AM
    just few quickies after first look at it (installed pre-release few minutes ago v 12.0.120.190)

1. No IIS - it's build on Apache - big plus
    2. No Application and Device Control
    3. No Location Awareness
    4. No Installation packages
    5. Licensing (you will need *.slf file)
    6. No SQL support (at least during installation) - it's targeted for clients with less than 250 so nothing strange
    7. In general looks pretty much the same as SEP11 console with slight changes.

• 9.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Apr 14, 2009 10:37 AM
    Thanks pbogu - very helpful post (much appreciated).

Without Application & Device control, and not being in the upgrade path of SEP 11 (What???), it doesn't seem like it will help most of us very much.  I guess if it enables you to run at least 2 services on a server (SEP plus one), that would be nice.  If it installs less than half a gigabyte of "stuff" on the C: partition after you select to install on the D: partition (for example), that would be great.  If you can run a redundant server in a remote branch for disaster recovery purposes (like we could with SAV CE) without killing your WAN links because you have to replicate a multi-gigabyte database whether you are managing 5 clients or 500, that would be awesome.  Lastly, if it is developed and tested to the extent that issues with basic functionality (that an average user can discover in the first 5 minutes) are either fixed or well documented before the first public release is delivered for installation in our production environments - that would be a nice change of pace.  My fingers are crossed, but my shopping cart is still open and highly mobile.

• 10.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Apr 14, 2009 10:53 AM
    @Tarsier
    It's not an upgrade path of SEP11 because it's targeted at small companies (<250 nodes) so you aren't talking about multiple big sites with replication.

Symantec Protection Center (that's how they call SEPM in this version) takes around 1GB after clean install (no clients).

However in my opinion they should change the name or something because calling it SEP12 will bring in mind that it's upgrade of v11 when it's designed for different market.

• 11.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 14, 2009 11:15 AM

Hi Drew,

To answer your questions;

A: Yes, you should be able to install a new 12.0 server and roll out 12.0 clients over the existing 11.x ones. Note though that although client migration is supported, SEP server migration is not. Essentially SEPM 11 to 12.0 is not supported.

A. That I believe is true.

Please visit the URL  listed in this thread to participate in the SEP SBE pre-release testing program if you are interested in getting an early sense of this new product.

• 12.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Apr 21, 2009 10:37 PM
    I signed up for the beta at https://symbeta.symantec.com/callout/default.html?callid=A180DA3C64C14BA49051F05C6F13DE69

Lab setup:  Server 2003 DC, Server 2003 w/ Exchange 2003, XP client, Vista client

Installed SEPM 11 on the DC, the Exchange piece on the Exch server, and rolled out the SEP client to all machines.
    Uninstalled SEPM and the Exchange piece but left the clients installed.
    Installed SEPSBE 12 on the DC and rolled out the clients...piece of cake!

Results:
    Setup was much easier than SEPM 11 (much, much easier).  The push out to clients was easier and has a nifty email feature (send an email to users and have them download and intall the client).  The management console is very similar to the SEPM 11 console...not much easier to navigate.  All-in-all, a very good product for SMB market.

Will there be any email server product available with this?  Or does Symantec think that small businesses will not want this (I tend to agree that they would not need it)?

• 13.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Apr 22, 2009 01:17 AM
    Not a Clear picture.  Can anybody elaborate this topic. Its ineteresting one

• 14.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Apr 22, 2009 01:41 AM
    There are more and more pieces of information being published about SBE - please looks in the video area, as well as the blog area for specific info from Symantec product management on SBE.  If you have specific questions, feel free to ask away - we are monitoring the community and will do our best to provide a thorough response.

FYI, SBE now has a dedicated forums area with multiple threads dedicated specifically for small businesses...
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/security/forums/endpoint-protection-small-business

Subsequently, this particular thread has been re-tagged as Endpoint protection, small business, and is no longer tagged as Endpoint Protection (Anti-Virus)...

Best,

Eric

• 15.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Apr 22, 2009 08:58 AM
    I got an email from someone about Symantec Protection Suite Small Business Edition coming out this summer that has it all: antivirus, antispam, email protection, and backup.

http://www.symantec.com/business/solutions/smallbusiness/index.jsp

• 16.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted May 20, 2009 08:18 AM
    That Protection Suite Small Business is EXACTLY what i need and finally a solution like that is coming. Interesting to see how implementation works out with SBS2008.

• 17.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted May 20, 2009 10:38 AM
    I still haven't gotten good information as whether there will be an upgrade license from SAVCEv10 or SEPv11 to SEPSBSv12 and SPSSBSv12.  If there will be that kind of license, what it will cost.

• 18.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted May 28, 2009 08:10 AM
    First off I'll say that I'm very self taught as far as IT goes and have a lot of trouble on the server end as far as setup and worrying what I could be doing wrong. I found that moving from SEP 11 to SBSv12 has made me more comfortable about our antivirus working correctly and accurately. The simple structure of the daily reports that are sent let me easily troubleshoot when necessary with little effort at figuring out what the problem is. The report email setup in most other products has been a huge problem as far as smtp settings since we do not use an exchange server. This means I have to check the server itself for status updates unless I want to find other workarounds that I'm not fimiliar with. This product was easy to push out to clients using the deployment as well as the local install options. I'm just an all around fan.

• 19.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted May 28, 2009 08:12 AM
    I believe there will be cross grade licensing from what I was told and in my own experience. So you should be able to move from SEPv11 to SBSv12.

• 20.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted May 28, 2009 08:36 AM
    It is my understanding that there is/will be cross grade licensing from SAVCEv10 and SEPv11 to SEPSBSv12 or SPSSBSv12.  The question I have of Symantec is about the costs of these licenses.  I have been installing the full SEPv11 at tiny clients (7 to 25 machines) because upgrade licensing for these clients has been so cheap: $20 to $25 per desktop (for SEPv11) for some of our clients compared to $60 per desktop for SEPSBSv12.

Symantec:  How does (or will) cross grade licensing (to SEPSBSv12 or SPSSBSv12) compare to upgrade licensing (to SEPv11) in terms of cost?

• 21.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted May 28, 2009 02:18 PM
    Will the backup piece of Symantec Protection Suite Small Business Edition v12 (SPSSBSv12) include the capability to natively backup the Exchange and SQL databases on Microsoft Small Business Server (2003 or 2008)?

• 22.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted May 29, 2009 12:39 PM
    ...about licensing costs.  Check out this thread:
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-move-sep-sbe

• 23.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Jun 07, 2009 06:56 PM
    Drew - cross-grading from SAV/SEP 11 to SEP SBE 12.0 shoudl be the same price (infact a little less) than if you were to renew on the same product.  So basically if you customer is coming up for renewal on SAV/SEP 11.x and woudl prefer to move to SEP SBE 12.0, then you want to crossgrade them at the time of renewal.

If you want to move the customer from SAV/SEP 11.x to SEP SBE 12.0 but they are not up for renewal, you can have them call customer care and request a license transfer to SEP SBE 12.0 (thsi will be done free of cost assuming that that the are current on SAV/SEP 11.x maintenance)

Nimesh.

• 24.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Jun 09, 2009 02:05 PM
    She keeps telling me that for our customers one yearly maintence and they are running SAV CE v10, at the time of renewal, their ONLY options are purchase an upgrade license to SEPv11 or to purchase a brand new license for SEPSBEv12.  The upgrade license to SEPv11 is less than half the cost of the brand new license for SEPSBEv12.  We are a Symantec Partner and she is adament that she is right.  Different costs, why? What are you hearing?

Yet you tell me something completely different...what is going on?

• 25.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Jun 09, 2009 02:18 PM
    Hi Drew I will contact you offline and can work with you to correct the misunderstanding. 

I can assure if your customers have SAV 10 and they are current on their maintenance they are NOT required to purchase new license to SEP SBE v12. We can do a crossgrade (which is typically equivalent to the cost of renewal) or opt for a license transfer.

I apologize if you are seeing confusion coming from Symantec.

best regards,

Nimesh.

• 26.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Jun 11, 2009 04:30 PM
    I got the following directly from Symantec:

"Any customer that has SAV/SEP 11.x can be crossgraded to SEP SBE 12.0 at renewal time. If the customer is not up for renewal then they you can call customer care and have their license transfer at no cost. (note: this is true for customers with SAV/SEP 11.x)"

"... - my understanding is that most of your customers have purchased Multi-tier Protection [this is the full SEP Multitier]. The options here are
    • Cross-grade them at time of renewal to SPS Enterprise Edition (this means they will continue using SEP 11.x and not have access to SEP SBE 12.0)
    • Require a license transfer downgrade to SPS Small Business Edition (this will involve working with a Symantec sales rep and customer care). SPS SBE includes SEP SBE 12.0 product
    • Sell the customer new licenses of SPS SBE Promo (due to the 30% discount, the price is cheaper than Multi-tier renewal – thank you bringing it to my attention)."

• 27.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11

Posted Feb 13, 2010 03:23 PM
    Our maintenance is up for renewal in Sept this year. We have Sav10 and we (I) plan on updating to SEP SBE12. We are on Tier D. I am researching for a 'better solution' than the SAV10 we have currently. Is there some official documentation to cooberate what you are saying as to a crossgrade typically being equivilant to cost of renewal? (other than your comment above).

I am pretty excited about what I have read in here and look forward to continuing my 'education' .

Thanks in advance,
    The only Wolf Here

• 28.  RE: SEP Small Business Edition 12 vs. SEP 11
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 15, 2010 08:44 AM
    When it is time for renewal, you ask if you can be crossgraded to SEPSBE12.  If you have a hard time, renew to SEP11, then call Customer Care to crossgrade to SEPSBE12 for no change.  I have done this several times since I last posted to this thread.  You can search on Google for Symantec Customer Care to get their number...this is currently working for North America:
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/assistance_care.jsp

Since you cannot upgrade from SAV10 or SEP11 to SEPSBE12, you need to uninstall first.  I have had bad luck with upgrading or uninstalling then installing a new Symantec...unexplained server hangs, terrible performance, etc.  I have had really good luck by first using Symantec CleanWipe on all machines (workstations and servers), then installing SEP11 or SEPSBE12 (by the way, SEPSBE12 is much easier to install and maintain in a SMB environment than SEP11).  You must submit a support case with Symantec to get CleanWipe...the easiest way to do this is submit an online case.
    http://www.symantec.com/support/index.jsp
    https://mysupport.symantec.com/

Hope this helps,
    Drew