Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  SEP Blocking Skype - SID 21206 - Unmanaged Client

Posted Dec 23, 2010 10:37 AM

I have several of my collegues that are experiencing the same SID: 21206 error with Skype and SEP.  We use Skype with Windows 7 64bit on corporate laptops that are unmanaged clients.  I read a previous thread from back in Feb on a similar issue but in that scenario the client was managed and the solution involved using SEPM. 

Since my team uses high-end business laptops (QuadCores) and Win7 64bit for our specialized needs, we were provided SEP licenses for all the laptops, but are unmanaged and therefore dont have access to SEPM.  Any help in resolving this for the team would be greatly appreciated. 

• 2.  RE: SEP Blocking Skype - SID 21206 - Unmanaged Client

Posted Dec 24, 2010 09:07 AM

With unmanaged clients, you will not have an option to simply turn off or allow this signature.

The quick and dirty fix is to right click the SEP icon in the task tray and "Disable Symantec Endpoint Protection" when using Skype:

This effectively disables the Firewall and IPS and will allow all traffic/IPS signatures. If you are OK with this, I would recommend going that route.

If not, you can try creating an exception for Skype within the firewall policy.

Open the SEP client and and click Options to the right of NTP and select Configure Firewall Rules

Select Add

On the General tab add in your rule name, Allow this traffic, and leave the rest at the default:

Switch to Applications tab, click Browse navigate to the directory where Skype is installed and exclude the proper process(s). Sorry I don't have Skype installed so I couldn't show it in the screenshot but you get the point :-)

Now, move the Skype Allow rule to the top and click OK:

See if that fixes it.

If it doesn't try adding the Skype directory as a Centralized Exception

HTH,

Brian

• 3.  RE: SEP Blocking Skype - SID 21206 - Unmanaged Client

Posted Dec 25, 2010 06:09 PM

I found one thread about this issue (http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-blocking-skype-updates) and it seems that Skype was blocked there by IPS. I expect it is the same in your case. You can create an exception on your unmanaged machine. Let us know how it works.