Workflow Soluiton

View Only

Altiris WorkFlow, Part 2: Creating a Web Form 

May 09, 2008 11:46 AM

Bust out your notebooks, Juice readers. We're going to continue this Workflow series with a lesson about the creation and use of Web forms.

Pencils ready. Begin.

When you open the Altiris WorkFlow designer and click the New button you will see the window below.

Enter the name of your project (we will create one called "Training Feedback") and where you want to save it.

After you click Ok, you will see the page below:

In the LHS you can see a tree view.

Training Feedback

• This is the main master resources, libraries, models...

Model: primary

• This is the actual model component itself.

The RHS is the project work area. In this area we will design our project. Also, in the middle, the ToolBox contains the components, libraries and images.

If we click on the project name (Training Feedback) then it will appear the below window:

In this window you can see the resourses and libraries for your project. From here you can publish it. You can also change the project name and other things.

Now we will start the project. It will be a training feedback form that allows students to rate the training. It will send e-mail automatically to the instructor with rating feedback.

On the component tab, start with "form". It will search out "form" on the search box and locate the form builder. Then drag and drop it on the working area.

As you can see the search is very simple and user friendly. No need to write any code.

Note: As you can see, there is a small red error icon on the components. If you put the cursor on the component it will show you the reason for the error icon.

Now we will connect the components together. Simply click on the component that you want to connect. You will see a small square click on it, then click the next component.

After we connect the components we will edit our form and customize it. Right click on the form builder component and choose Web Form Editor. It will open the form window and this message will appear: "the form does not have any outcome component. Do you wish to add one now." Click Yes.

After that it will open another window. This is will be the action for the output value. Write Submit then OK.

Now we will start to add items to our form. We need labels, a TextBox to enter the name of the student, and another one to enter the comments about the training. We also need a DropDown List to enter the rating levels.

On the search component search for a label, when you find it drag and drop it on the working area.

Double click on the label and write "Enter your Name" and copy the label and write on the other one "Enter your Rating". Copy it again and write "Comments". Now we will search for a TextBox. When you find it drag and drop it on the working area. As you see there is a small red icon on the textbox because it is not configured yet. To solve this, right click on the Textbox and choose Edit Component. See below:

Now on the Functionality tab write Name on the output data -- because the output of this TextBox will be the name of the student. And choose it, as required, and then OK.

Now we need a DropDown List for rating. Search for it and drag it to working area. Then right click on the DropDown List and choose Edit Component.

On the edit window click on the functionality tab. On the items window click on the small square on the right. Add the Rating items (Excellent, Very Good, Good, and Weak). Then click OK. In the output window enter Rating - because the output will be the rating of the training. Then press OK.

Now we will finish the form. We just want to add a background to it. On the upper LHS Corner click background image. Browse it and click OK. And OK.

Now we need to send an email to the instructor after the students complete the forms. Search for the Send Email component and drag it to the working area and connect it to other components.

We need to configure the send email components. Right click and choose Edit Components.

On the Email Contents tab enter the sender email and the receiver email (you can add emails on the CC and BCC).

In the contents section click the right square beside the subject and enter the subject for the email message. As you can see below the Name, Rating and Comments are variables so it automatically changes when the user enters his rating.

Also enter the message content that will be sent by email.

Now we will run our project. Click on the run Icon on the upper left side.

Click on Composer.aspx. The form page will be open. Enter the student name and your Rating and a Comment if you have one.

And click Submit.

After all of that you will see a window that indicates the process is complete.

We can edit and customize this page as we need, so if you navigate to C:\Program Files\Altiris\Workflow Designer\WorkflowProjects\training feedback\ You will find a file (htmlend.htm) you can edit it as you like.

As you see below we can observe where the process is.

After you close the page the process will be complete. The process path will be in yellow. See below:

Now the email has arrived and the variables are filled.

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

May 14, 2008 09:40 AM

exactly, i had change the localhost to my SMTP server, about comment field i use textBox Component to allow the user to enter his/her comments

May 13, 2008 02:20 PM

Hello,
Some notes from the process I ran.
- How did you build the comment field? For me it just sent out the first line of comment no more even I input three lines, in your example you have the "same" as the subject?
- In the email subject you wrote:
" his comments ... is" shouldn't be "his comments... are" (details :=)
- Some detail about the SMTP configuration should be noted somewhere as per default it is set to "localhost" and I don't think a lot people are using the NS as SMTP box...
- Also I did not see any information in the logviewer, is it completely independent and managed only by the "Execution Log(grid)" and "Execution Log"?
It is a real excellent job thank you for this hard work which makes easy to learn...
Thanks
Dom

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.