Symantec Management Platform (SMP) Community

View Only

ETrack Specifics: How Symantec Internal Teams Can Post Questions to the SMP Dev Team 

Dec 01, 2010 03:53 PM

Our process is slightly different for responding to questions and issues from Symantec internal teams. You can create a new incident in eTrack as normal we just need the following attributes set on the incident to make sure that we are tracking it correctly.

1. Set the Product to MP_ALTIRIS_SDK
  2. Set the Version to SMP_7.1. Or SMP_7.0 as appropriate but in general we do not need anything more specific than the major version.
  3. Set the Target Version to Future_Release
  4. The first word in the Abstract should be SDK_SUPPORT: then add the short description as appropriate.
  5. Set Type to SERVICE_REQUEST
  6. Set Severity to 3
  7. Set Priority to 3
  8. Set State to OPEN. This field will change between OPEN and WAITING depending on whether we are waiting for a customer response.
  9. Set Category to NONE

If these guidelines aren’t followed it may delay a response to any question you may have so please be sure to follow these steps.

The advantage to using eTrack is that if we require further development engineer support we can appropriately modify the fields and get the incident directly assigned. This should further enhance our ability to service our customers.

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Dec 07, 2010 09:53 AM

1. Do all ETrack users already have access permission granted to "submit" tickets against MP_ALTIRIS_SDK product? If not, whom we should contact to get permission to do so?

I think you should be able to but you may have to add yourself to the products you see and work on. Open etrack and then open the Preferences. Once there you should two lists, one for those products you work on, the other for those you see when doing queries. Try adding the MP_ALTIRIS_SDK to your preferences. If you can then should be able to submit new incidents against it.

2. I assume all communications related to the ticket between both SDK team and symantec employees will be posted through ETrack only and no private email be sent. Can you confirm this assumption?

We will try to keep all communication through Etrack but sometimes there may be personal emails as well.

3. Do we also have "view" access to the ticket submitted by them against MP_ALTIRIS_SDK product for viewing any responses from SDK support team member? If not, whom we should contact to get permission to do so?

Same as response to (1).

4. We have an offsite vendor (in Bangalore, India) where few developers working as part of BESR-MS team who also used to submit queries to "DL-AL-SDKSupport" via email so far. Does this new process apply to those vendor team members as well or should they strictly use email for any queries? Note that they have access to ETrack against BESR-MS only so far. Let us know what is the process for them to follow and confirm there is no legal concerns if they have to follow the new process using ETrack.

If they are unable to add the MP_ALTIRIS_SDK to their profiles then they should continue to send queries to the distribution list. Etrack is a Symantec product. There are no legal issues that I am aware of. For those teams that do not have access we will continue to use the distribution list email DL-AL-SDKSupport@symantec.combut we will create incidents from those emails. That is how we are going to track support incidents.

5. Does this new process completely replaces the previous process which we were using (i.e. sending the queries through email to "DL-AL-SDKSupport") or not? What will happen if someone mistakenly send the query to "DL-AL-SDKSupport"?

Because this approach is a bit of a hybrid, internals use Etrack, externals use the email, we are bound to see mistaken emails where an Etrack incident should have been created. We will create an incident and then reply with a link to the incident. We won't ignore mistakes.

6. Can we (or vendor team) post queries through SymConnect as well? Any difference in support level between submission through ETrack and SymConnect?

You can continue to post queries to Connect, but our team will not generally monitor those posts. If we get an email saying that post needs to be answered, we still will not likely respond to a Connect post. However, when we close an etrack incident we plan on gathering those completed items and posting them to the Connect forum so content will continue to grow.

Dec 03, 2010 09:59 AM

Hi,

I am part of BE/BESR development team located in Pune. I have few questions.

1. Do all ETrack users already have access permission granted to "submit" tickets against MP_ALTIRIS_SDK product? If not, whom we should contact to get permission to do so?

2. I assume all communications related to the ticket between both SDK team and symantec employees will be posted through ETrack only and no private email be sent. Can you confirm this assumption?

3. Do we also have "view" access to the ticket submitted by them against MP_ALTIRIS_SDK product for viewing any responses from SDK support team member? If not, whom we should contact to get permission to do so?

4. We have an offsite vendor (in Bangalore, India) where few developers working as part of BESR-MS team who also used to submit queries to "DL-AL-SDKSupport" via email so far. Does this new process apply to those vendor team members as well or should they strictly use email for any queries? Note that they have access to ETrack against BESR-MS only so far. Let us know what is the process for them to follow and confirm there is no legal concerns if they have to follow the new process using ETrack.

5. Does this new process completely replaces the previous process which we were using (i.e. sending the queries through email to "DL-AL-SDKSupport") or not? What will happen if someone mistakenly send the query to "DL-AL-SDKSupport"?

6. Can we (or vendor team) post queries through SymConnect as well? Any difference in support level between submission through ETrack and SymConnect?

Appreciate your help!

-Ramesh Bupathy

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.