Deployment Solution

View Only

Deployment Server 6.9 - A Quick-Start Course, Part 1: Introduction 

Jun 29, 2010 12:14 PM

This course has been developed to help all you fresh faced Deployment Server (DS) administrators get a good footing in the setup and configuration of Altiris Deployment Server. The aim is to cover the basics, point out common pitfalls and illustrate best practice whenever possible.

These notes are however not intended to act as a replacement for the official 5-day DS training provided by Altiris. The chapters that will follow are intended to be covered in a couple of days, and therefore miss many areas covered by the official course. I recommend that if you intend managing DS in a production capacity that you take the official course and get certified. Indeed, after this quick start your understanding of DS's basic functionality will allow you to absorb much more than is typically expected of a trainee on the official course.

With my recommendation that you attend the official course, a good question is why develop this quick-start. The main motivation came from seeing many people new to Altiris struggle with the product. In the majority of cases, this boiled down to organisations not being able to afford the time and expense of sending their desktop administrators on the official training. It seemed what was missing was a low-cost, quick-start option -a course focusing on the basics as seen from the viewpoint of an experienced Deployment Server administrator. My hope is that armed with the information you'll find within these pages, that you'll be able to install and configure a useful deployment service which will prove of great benefit in the years ahead.

Before we begin though, let's take a step back and ponder that age old question, 'why are we here?'

Desktop Lifecycle Management

In the drive for efficiency and modernisation, organisations can tend to invest in IT hardware without considering the bigger picture of how to support and manage it. This can result in the funding for support infrastructure being provided on an ad-hoc, fire-fighting basis. The result is a desktop with a disproportionately high Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) when compared with the service being provided.

Figure 1: Gartner Magic Quadrant (2008) showing Altiris as the most visionary of the vendors in the PC lifecycle management market. In both the 2008 and 2006 reports, LANdesk is just a whisper behind.

The TCO (despite being very buzz-wordy) is very important. It represents the total cost of owning a computer in your enterprise. It is calculated not only the purchase price, but on other items such as software, user support, training, helpdesk, back-end server infrastructure, maintenance, disposal -and the list goes on. The result is that the true cost of providing a computer in the enterprise (the TCO) is many times the initial purchase price. It's therefore critical to manage the cost of your enterprise's desktops over their entire lifecycle so that your TCO can be reduced. This isn't just about saving money for its own sake (although that's not a bad thing!), it is also about managing your enterprise better, and actually providing a better experience to the end-users.

Many products have come into the market place to meet today's increasing expectations of service whilst maintaining a reasonable TCO. Some of the major players in this market are:

• Novell's Zenworks
  • LANDesk Management Suite
  • Altiris' Client Management Suite (CMS)
  • Microsoft's Systems Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)

Although each product has its strengths and weaknesses, the two which consistently rank at the top of the list for feature breadth and platform support are Altiris and LANDesk (see Figure 1).

Altiris' Deployment Server (DS) is the component of their Client Management Suite which underpins the deployment phase in your workstations' lifecycle. It is also, one of the most comprehensive solutions that Altiris provides.

Deployment Server has all the basic features we desire from a desktop deployment tool - image storage and delivery, automatic partition resizing, scripted OS installation, software packaging and live reporting. It can also store and deliver both Windows Domain and Novell Client configuration information which is essential to deployment on Microsoft and Novell networks. In addition to the above, Deployment Server can:

• Push out applications, patches & printers
  • Capture and migrate users profiles for OS upgrades (Personality Transplant)
  • Remotely control clients (chat client included)
  • Run ad-hoc scripts to maintain and fix issues in your enterprise

Remember though that Deployment Server is not in the market to compete with Microsoft's Active Directory or Novell's Directory Services -DS is designed to manage workstations -not users. So you'll still require an enterprise directory service such as Active Directory or Novell's Directory Services for user management (and possibly even some aspects of workstation management too).

Index of Articles:

Part 1: Introduction

• Desktop Lifecycle Management

Part 2: Deployment Server Concepts

• Computer Images
  • The Production and Automation Environments
  • The Deployment Server Agents

Part 3: Preparing your Server

• Service Infrastructure Considerations
  • CPU, Memory and Disk Resource Considerations
        CPU Utilisation
        RAM Utilisation
        Disk Utilisation
  • Installing IIS
  • Installing SQL Server 2008 Express Edition
        Install Prerequisites
        Install SQL Server 2008 Express Edition
        Configuring SQL Server to accept TCP Connections

Part 4: Installing Deployment Server

• Downloading Deployment Server
  • Creating an Altiris Service Account
  • Beginning the Deployment Server Installation
        Selecting the Install Type
        Configuring the Deployment Share
        The Pre-Boot Operating Systems
        Installation Components
        Installation Information Summary

Part 5: Securing the Service Account

• Configuring permissions for the service account
        Configuring Altiris Service account permissions on express share
        Configuring Altiris Service account permissions in registry
  • Scoping the Service Account in SQL Server
  • Demoting the service account
  • The Deployment Server Services

Part 6: SQL Server Recovery Models

• Quick Intro into MS SQL Server
        Backing up the transaction log
        MS SQL Database Recovery Models
  • SQL Server 2008 Default Recovery Model
  • Confirming Your Database Recovery Model
  • Why should I backup my database?
  • Why Shouldn’t SQL Express be used in Production?

Part 7: The Deployment Console

• The DS Console Layout
        The Computers Pane
        The Jobs Pane
        The Details Pane
        The ToolBars

Part 8: Agent Installation Methods

• The Deployment Server Agent Branches
  • Installing the AClient manually
        The User Level AClient Settings
        Uninstall the AClient
  • Installing the AClient using Remote Agent Installer
  • Scripted Agent Deployment
        Installing the AClient using a Script

Part 9: DAgent Installation Methods

• Installing the DAgent manually
        DAgent Notification Area issues     The User Level DAgent Settings     Uninstall the DAgent
  • Installing the DAgent using Remote Agent Installer
  • Scripted DAgent Deployment
        Installing the DAgent using a Script     Central Configuration of the Deployment Server Agents

Part 10: Using the Deployment Console

• Computer Inventory
  • Computer Groups
  • Jobs: Creating a Power Control Task
  • Helpdesk Reboot and Agent Prompts
  • Remote Control
  • The Remote Red Eye
  • Chat

Part 11: Imaging with PXE

• Production and Automation Recap
  • The PXE Boot Process
  • The PXE Boot Process
  • Uploading an Image
        The Image File
        Process Flow for Image Upload thru PXE
        Deploying an Image

Part 12: Configuring PXE for DOS

• Why Bother with DOS at all?
  • Tuning the DOS TCP Stack
        TCP Window Size Memory Considerations
  • Adding DOS Automation Support
  • Creating a ‘DOS Managed’ PXE Option

Part 13: Configuring PXE for WinPE

• The History of WinPE
        Altiris and WinPE Support
  • Adding WinPE Automation Support

Part 14: Scripting XP SP3

• Building an XP Scripted Install Job
  • Scripted Install Overview

Statistics
0 Favorited
4 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads
Attachment(s)
jpg file
ds6-1-1.jpg   29 KB   1 version
Uploaded - Feb 25, 2020
jpg file
ds6-1-2.jpg   64 KB   1 version
Uploaded - Feb 25, 2020
jpg file
ds6-1-2_0.jpg   119 KB   1 version
Uploaded - Feb 25, 2020
jpg file
ds6-1-2-1.jpg   118 KB   1 version
Uploaded - Feb 25, 2020

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Dec 27, 2011 10:04 AM

Thank you for this excellent article! This has been very helpful. Much appreciated.

Feb 16, 2011 05:11 AM

I think product reviews, and semi-technical reports from the likes of Gartner are very useful when it comes to evaluating a product for use. They give you a quick appraisal of the field, and allows you to focus your testing on the products which you deem most suitable for your environment. The quadrant is therefore a crude appraisal -however visually pleasing it looks in it's simplicity. 

How any of the product leaders fair in your environment pretty much depends on how much you are willing to put into it personally and/or organisationally.

Focusing on Deployment Server, I've seen businesses where DS been purchased, installed and configured within three days to deliver a major PC upgrade across three sites. A clear triumph for the product. Conversely, I've also seen businesses where Deployment Server has sat pretty much unused for years with IT staff still using ghost disks to deploy computers. In that particular case, the IT staff thought DS/Altiris was useless, and they don't know why they ever bothered. In my opinion, in the later case the point is they didn't bother.

And of course you have everything in between. So depending on the scenario you report on, DS could be taken as being fantastic or awful.

The above examples with DS translates well across all the major vendors I'd say -how well it works depends on the effort you and your organisation is willing to invest.

Stepping back now, lets look at how you deal with an entire endpoint management suite. There are peaks and troughs in all the vendors product ranges, and to be frank the best thing for quick wins to is deliver on the peaks which suite your needs first. Focus is key here. Once you've delivered on those items, people should see a big improvement and you'll get that rosy glow of a job well done.  You can then  begin work delivering those 2nd-class citizens in the product range that you need. With a little effort, you'll be able to learn and workaround their lovable niggles, and in time you'll find that they will pay their way too.

And to answer your question directly -no, I do not have an updated Magic Quadrant.... ;-)

Feb 16, 2011 02:08 AM

I will try to peek up the new Gartner Magic quadrant end 2010. Symantec switch close up Avocent, but honnestly, those "magic" are not really significant.

Feb 08, 2011 06:21 AM

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Gartner Magic Quadrant has been updated for 2010/2011?

Jan 03, 2011 09:22 AM

I usually use the "get inventory" at the end of an install job.

Nov 25, 2010 01:54 PM

Hi,

If you execute a 'get inventory' task before executing the script, then your inventory info will be bang up-to-date. This will make your following tasks which rely on inventory data to be more robust.

Nov 25, 2010 08:13 AM

Hi everybody,

I have some problem with the Altiris 6.9.. maybe it's not the right place to write it but anyway. So, my problem is I have a job assign to a computer and this job has the condition to check if the OS is Win7, in the case of TRUE everything is OK but when is FALSE it looks like the Altiris is keeping somewhere a record that he check already this machine and at next boot is not checking any more even if the OS change and match the condition to execute the job. My question is can I somehow script to reset this record or can I create a script where I can specify by my self what jobs assign to what PCs, in other words I'm looking for any useful Scripting Reference or guide for ALTIRIS.

Any suggestion or reference will be appreciated!

Thanks' in advance for any help!

Aug 01, 2010 02:07 AM

Hi Ian,

I found very useful information from your notes on this quick start course and thanks for sharing these with the forum...

Marcos

Jul 12, 2010 05:55 AM

DS 7.1 at this point in time is not "full featured", which is just a fancy term for "not working proparly" atm. So making this kind of effort (which it is) for a product that is still undergoing mayor maintanance is quite a time consumer.

Jul 10, 2010 02:01 PM

Hi Joe,

I hear ya. My day job is pretty busy just now, so time for me to write a DS7 equivalent is really short.  It is certainly on the todo list.

Jul 10, 2010 07:07 AM

Hi - it would be nice to see this for the latest version of DS. As a newbie at it I'm finding it difficult to get to grips with. There seems to be a lack of good info/tutorials for it.

Cheers

Joe.

Jul 09, 2010 07:25 AM

Yeah -I should point out these notes are my own! I've never been on a Deployment Server training course, but I guess there will be similarities in places as we're talking about the same product. These notes are in fact the updated version of my DS6.8 notes I published to Juice a couple years back. I've tried in this update to merge in the slides that accompanied the original instructor-led course so its more complete. 

As you've noticed -all chapters are not yet linked in. Ohzone and I are working on it! There are also other chapters to add to this for 'Day Three' and these focus on sysprep with XP and Win7.

And DS6.9 isn't quite dead yet my friend (I hope) -at least not until DS7 is ready to take the baton.  And even then, there will be people still supporting it for years to come. There are few on this forum I know who still use DS6.8!! 

Finally, you make a good point about PXE. As you noticed, I don't talk about multi-site arrangements as that's pretty scary to new admins. One thing missing from each chapter is a 'Further Reading' section -will rectify that shortly.

Keep your comments coming!

Kind Regards,
Ian./

Jul 09, 2010 04:38 AM

It is a very nice & good complementary to the old existing erikw articles: Deployment console ;-)

Of yourse, it is time to publish "old" <DS 6.9> data (as I do below ;-) because of coming more and more obsolete with <DS 7.1> ;-)
Huum, not already put all there ? All chapter are not linked in ?
Did you plan additionnal links later on?

Does the DS 6.9 training is officially over now from Symantec, or still available ? Does the materials in the course not under "do not publish" or is it your own (thanks for the share if so :) ?

I see in your Plan the PXE part seems not talk about multiple sites implement, please take care this article for a complement:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/it-seems-i-still-see-some-customers-installing-multiple-ds-version-6-multiple-sites

Thanks again for your material ;-)

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.