Endpoint Protection

View Only

How to Create Package for a Mac Client from the SEPM in RU6? 

Apr 08, 2010 06:34 PM

In order to create a package for a Mac Client from the SEPM we need to follow the following steps:

1. Log in the SEPM. Click on Admin --> Install Package

2. Under Client Install Packages   , Select the Package for Mac      

3. Right click on the Package and Select Export.

4.Select the Group for Which the Package is Created and Specify the Export Folder

5. Click on OK

6. Once the Package is created Click Finish.

Once the Package is created a Folder with the group name is created on the specified location with a zip file with the name Symantec Endpoint Protection.zip. This Symantec Endpoint Protection.zip is used to install the SEP Client on a Mac computer.

The pacakge that is created on has the  Antivirus and Antispyware component . As on a Mac client only Antivirus and Antispyware component is installed and supported..

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Nov 24, 2010 10:19 AM

I don't believe there is a way to do that.  Unless you push out the installer with root privileges through, say, Apple Remote Desktop, the installer must be authenticated with an admin password.

sandra

Nov 23, 2010 08:24 PM

hi sandra,

that's a great article you referenced.  however, it states "As the install package requires authentication, use of sudo and an Administrator password is required to use the above Terminal command."

how do we do create an actual silent installer of a managed client? 

~vick

Nov 18, 2010 11:24 AM

I had another thought: when you burned the CD for your user, did you extract the zip before you burned it?  Unzipping the file created by the SEPM must be done by the Archive Utility on the Mac client; otherwise, file permissions are not preserved.

sandra

Nov 17, 2010 07:00 PM

You should probably create a new thread for your question.

The client gets definitions from LiveUpdate, so that has nothing to do with being managed.  What does it say under the Symantec Quickmenu?

sandra

Nov 17, 2010 10:48 AM

I exported the Mac package, and selected "Default Group" as the membership.  I copied the package to a CD and gave it to the user.  The user ran the install and selected "managed" from the option page.   The Symantec client successfully installed and was able to download virus updates.  However, I still do not see the machine in the "Default Group" of my clients, in the Symantec Endpoint Console.

Jul 23, 2010 11:12 AM

You're welcome! :)

sandra

Jul 23, 2010 03:56 AM

Thanks Sandra for the input

Jul 22, 2010 03:06 PM

I have some instructions for bypassing the managed vs. unmanaged stage--let me verify whether or not this is something that I can share.

There's also a section in this document about making silent managed installs:

------
Silent managed installs:

The Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh client can be installed silently after an export of the package from a Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager. This option prevents the regular Installer UI from appearing to the User and the SEP for Mac client will install according to the settings made by the Administrator. The client will install as either Managed or Unmanaged without intervention by the User and the User will not be able to change these settings.

To modify the exported install package to run silent without any user interaction or alerts:
- Export the package from the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager using the steps above
- Copy the package to a Mac OS X system
- Open the Terminal in /Applications/Utilities
- In the Terminal, enter the following command: /usr/sbin/installer ­pkg <pathToPackage> -target <MountPoint>

<pathToPackage> is the path to locate the copy of the Symantec Endpoint Protection client package that was exported and copied to the Macintosh.
<MountPoint> is the path to where the converted package file will be written to.

------

sandra

Jul 22, 2010 02:30 PM

Thanks for the information but end users still have the choice of going unmanaged.  How do we grey that out or skip that step?  7 out of 10 people are just going to click next but there are a few that will say something like, I do not want IT touching MY computer....
Is there a file that the install creates that we can use an apple script to do the install and push a simple file to the machine to make it managed wether or not they choose managed or unmanaged?
Thanks for the reply.

May 12, 2010 10:30 PM

Good Article

May 05, 2010 07:20 AM

thanks...............

nice article

Apr 23, 2010 11:59 AM

Prachand's instructions above make a managed installer.  Just be sure to click a box to indicate group membership when creating the package.

If you wanted it to be unmanaged, you could just install from the SEP_MAC folder on the install media.

sandra

Apr 23, 2010 11:58 AM

That is correct.  You must either make the file available for download on your network, install it locally, or use a utility like Apple Remote Desktop to deploy.

If you double-click on the .zip file, inside is an .mpkg file.  Double clicking on that will install the product.

sandra

Apr 22, 2010 11:48 AM

Is there a way to create a Managed only installer. We currently have RU6 installed. We would like to have a managed only version so eithe the user or 3rd party  software can install the "managed version".

Apr 22, 2010 11:24 AM

Yep, got that far - thanks.  Guessing the created zip has to be used to install on MAC clients as I don't see a deploy for MAC option.  I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks again

Apr 21, 2010 05:11 PM

You can download  RU6 from the file connect site.

Please go to the following  site :https://fileconnect.symantec.com/

Enter the Serial No of the product and download the product.

Title: 'Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.6 (RU6) for the first time'
Document ID: 2010041310191048
> Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2010041310191048?Open&seg=ent
Title: 'Migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 RU6'
Document ID: 2010041310404248
> Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2010041310404248?Open&seg=ent

Apr 21, 2010 10:05 AM

Assuming this means the MAC Install Package is available.  Where can I find it to download\purchase for download.

Thanks

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.