Client Management Suite

View Only

Integrating PCAnywhere into NS6 and Helpdesk 6 

Apr 19, 2010 06:54 PM

While V7 of the Altiris product ranges have been introduced over the 2009/2010 year, upgrading to these is not straightforward. For many users, especially those who have recently implemented V6, the effort involved may not be justifiable in the immediate  future and they may wish to stay using their existing setup for some time yet..One issue this raises though is that the remote control solution for V6 is Carbon Copy, which is no longer being developed and which, therefore, does not support the latest browser technology or OS versions etc. PCAnywhere as the replacement does, but is not integrated into the NS 6 platform. So what to do?

Now any customer who is on maintenance can obtain PCAnywhere (enterprise standalone) licenses to replace their Carbon Copy licenses – so we can get the software. It’s just a matter of coming up with a way of integrating this into NS6 so that we can provide a workable remote control solution to our Helpdesk and NS 6 user, using PCAnywhere….This article describes how to do this.

How remote control works in NS 6

When you make a request to remote control in NS6,  be it through the NS Console or Helpdesk, it calls up a generic remote control web page. The page uses queries held in the database to determine what remote control options the selected asset supports and then presents these in the options list. The order of the options is based on a priority number held in the database for each remote control option – the default being the option with the lowest priority number. For example it looks at the installed agents table to see if the Carbon Copy is listed as being an installed agent, and if it is then makes this option available and as Carbon Copy has a priority value of 1 it will always be the default option. When you chose to run one of the options an aspx page is then called specific to the option, which starts the remote session. This page checks whether you have the appropriate software installed on your client to instigate the session and gives an error message if it doesn’t.

Integrating PCAnywhere into NS6

To integrate what we will do is :-

• Modify one of the existing options in the Altiris database, VNC for Windows, to be an appropriately configured PCAnywhere option.  
  • Change the priority of the Carbon Copy, Remote Desktop, and PCAnywhere options to make PCAnywhere the default option if installed
  • Install an .aspx page for PCAnywhere that is in effect a modified copy of an existing page for one of the other options.
  • Package up and install PCAnywhere on the clients with configurations appropriate for their role as a host only or host and remote controller.
  • Put an Altiris.chf file in the root directory of the client PC’s that will be remote controllers. This is a default connect configuration file that is used when starting a remote session to another system and is required.

Some notes regarding this

• Carbon Copy solution must be installed in the NS for this to work.
  • By modifying an existing option we are able to ‘undo’ any changes just by doing a repair on the Carbon Copy package.
  • We will configure this to use the win32 PCAnywhere software. It is possible to configure this to use the Java based PCAnywhere web remote, though there are some limitations which make the solution slightly less ‘automated’.
  • Inventory must be being run on the clients as the query to ascertain whether this is an available option uses the inventory data.
  • The Altiris.chf file needs to be a valid PCAnnywhere configuration file, but does not need to have any options set, as the computer name that will be remoted to is passed in the command line.  However if you want PCAnywhere to automatically login to the remote client and not request you login every time you start a remote session (there is no credential pass through) then edit the settings in this and select the automatically login option, giving an appropriate login account and password.
  • With Carbon Copy it is possible through the NS console to set configuration options for authentication, whether an icon is visible in the systray, etc., etc. and for these to be automatically sent to the clients to reconfigure them. We do not have this capability here so the options need to be set at the time of implementation or through reconfiguring the PCAnywhere install packages and reinstalling. The configuration of the PCAnywhere host determines whether the user is prompted to grant access, and who are allowed to remote in. Normally one would have this configured to allow certain NT user groups to be granted access only and for the end user to grant permission.
  • By default PCAnywhere host puts an icon in the systray. If you don’t want this visible you will need to add the registry file included to the modified installation packages.
  • This makes PCAnywhere a remote control option for Windows machines. By modifying the other VNC options for Mac etc. or adding new item entries in the database this could be extended to support Mac and Linux remote control etc.

How to implement

• Run the attached SQL script against the NS database in a query window – note you may need to change the database name in the query to match yours (it is coded to Altiris, the default) . This replaces the VNC option for windows with PCAnywhere, and reorders the sequence so that the default option becomes PCAnywhere if installed on a client.
  • Copy the PCAW.aspx file to the C:\Program Files\Altiris\Carbon Copy Solution\Web ( or wherever the Solution is installed )
  • Restart IIS
  • Download PCAnywhere and install on a machine
  • Download Symantec packager and install on same machine as PCAnywhere.
  • Run PCAnywhere on client and create a default host configuration file and authorisation file(s) for this.
  • Create a remote connection configuration file called altiris.chf (one is included here too) This doesn’t need to contain anything specific though it is recommended one puts an ip address for a non existent computer in for the default ‘connect to’ and sets the automatically login if this is what you want.
  • Run the Symantec packager and create a modified installation package that installs the host software, default host configuration file and authorisation file(s), plus, if you want the icon not to be included in the systray, the attached .reg file.
  • Use the Symantec packager to create a modified installation package that install the host as above and the software to undertake remote control. Add the Altiris.chf file to this.
  • Distribute these packages to the relevant machines
  • On the clients that have the ability to undertake remote control move the Altiris.chf file to the c: root directory (it should be under the all users\application data\Symantec\PCanywhere\ remotes directory after install).
  • Wait for inventory to run and start using it!

Finally my thanks to those Altiris technical folks in Europe who did most of the groundwork on this.

Statistics
0 Favorited
1 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads
Attachment(s)
zip file
PCAW.zip   9 KB   1 version
Uploaded - Feb 25, 2020

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Mar 13, 2011 01:14 PM

The new URL is

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO9707

Mar 10, 2011 03:15 PM

Not sure if there was some reason it was left out but RDP wont show up for x64 as an option seems to work if I change the RDP option slightly, seems to work ok. Can anyone think of any reason why they would have left it out?

update dbo.item
set State = '<item>    <remoteControl>      <target>RD.aspx?Name=%AGENT%</target>      <port>3389</port>      <launch type="exe">mstsc.exe /v:%AGENT%</launch>      <consoleDetectionParameters>        <parameter>Win32</parameter>      </consoleDetectionParameters>      <hostOS>Win32</hostOS>      <hostDetectionParameters>        <parameter type="query">             SELECT COUNT(*)                 FROM Wrksta                 WHERE upper([Guid]) = upper(''{0}'')                     AND lower([SystemType]) LIKE ''%win32%''  OR lower([SystemType]) LIKE ''%win64%''                   AND lower([OS Name]) != ''microsoft windows 98''                     AND lower([OS Name]) != ''microsoft windows me''         </parameter>      </hostDetectionParameters>      <priority>3</priority>    </remoteControl>  </item>'
where Guid = '60B012E3-A470-42AD-B638-D100150BC383'

Sep 22, 2010 11:34 AM

I found the issue. Since PCAnywhere is installed as a 32 bit application (program files (x86)), some how the path statement is not updated. So with all these changes it can't fire off the needed exe. To correct this I added the location of the standalone pcanywhere software into the path statment and now it works with the NS 6.

Sep 16, 2010 01:06 PM

I have tried this out and get it to work just fine on a Windows Xp 32 bit machine. But when I try to use the same setup on Windows 7 64bit machine, I just get the blank page with the do you want to close the page question.Plus the IE page is pointing to the PCAW.aspx page.

I have tried so many things such as raising ie 8 and awrem32 to run as admin. I see no errors in the event logs. I have even tried a test javascript html website to see if our security was blocking the pop up for AWREM32.exe which I believe is javascript based.

Just to be sure that the install of PCanywhere was working,  tested the manual kickoff of AWREM32.exe under windows 7 and that worked fine. I just upgraded the 12.5 version to sp2 and it still doesn't work. Can someone help? I think it has to do with either security on Windows 7 or the launch command for windows 7. ( I did test all this in both 32 bit IE 8 and 64 bit IE 8, no luck at all)

Thanks,

Anthony

Aug 03, 2010 01:34 PM

I notciced in your code for this you use a /C%AGENT%  to pass the hostname of the tartget to to the AWREM32 executable.
Do you know if there are any other switches available to AWREM32.EXE?  Im specifically looking for something that might pass a predefined username and/or password.

*edit*
Just found this,  looks like im out of luck :(
http://service1.symantec.com/support/on-technology.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/fa5982e86638252d8825734e0058c2b5?OpenDocument

May 04, 2010 04:24 PM

... there's probably more that could be done to make it more scaleble (like using the java based Web interface) but this is pretty much as scaleable as the other options that existed in NS 6 as it works in the same way as these...

Understand the frustration re being left in limbo. it has been a little puzzling!

Steve

May 04, 2010 11:35 AM

This is a great post and something we are currently looking at.  That being said we are a  huge enterprise and this does not scale well at all.  This would be perfectly fine for a SMB, but we have thousands of clients that need to be remote controlled. 

I agree fully with AltadminNC above that Symantec dropped the ball on this one and left their NS 6 customers in Limbo (which is most of the client base out there until 64 bit code is released later this year). 

May 01, 2010 09:39 AM

Thanks this article.
Also how to integrate into DS 6.9 is there: https://kb.altiris.com/article.asp?article=45308&p=1

Just a little problem: Any altiris CMS customers under basic maintenance are allowed to use PCA & Quick Connect, but not PCA Manager !
But for creating any configuration files, you need it...

So you must download the trial (and do all necessary only in 30 days), or buy separatly a single PCA full licence... To be able to build all the necessary ICF files & so on.
It is not a lot of money...
It is just a pitty we need to add this additionnal complexity to integrate PCA with NS6 or DS6...

Creating a PCA installation package, and make it works, is not really trivial.
I am afraid it is more simple to integrate TeamViewer or Dameware...

I would like Symantec provide more easy integration & ready to use tools (like they do into CMS7 :) Best regards.

Apr 30, 2010 01:27 PM

Interesting post, but too bad Symantec dropped the ball on this and left all it's version 6 customers without Carbon Copy support for Windows 7 and having to fend for ourselves!

Apr 28, 2010 09:04 AM

This is exactly what our company has been looking to do.  Thank you for the information.

Apr 27, 2010 08:12 AM

Thanks for posting this Steve!

Apr 26, 2010 02:40 PM

Gremlins... always messing with the site... it's back now!

Cheryl

Apr 26, 2010 01:59 PM

The introduction paragraph has me interested, but I only see it and a zip file with no other explanation..

Apr 22, 2010 02:33 PM

Hi

You need to ask for the PCAnywhere licenses via your normal purchasing route for CMS/Altiris software. If you explain that  you need these to replace the Carbon copy licenses you should have no problem and the response you have will include download locations and relevant licensing information etc.

Cheers

Steve

Apr 22, 2010 02:08 PM

Try visiting the Symantec Licensing Portal.  You can manage existing license data from this site -

https://licensing.symantec.com/acctmgmt/index.jsp

Or contact the Customer Care Assistance -
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/assistance_care.jsp

Apr 22, 2010 02:04 PM

Does my license for 'pcAnywhere Solution  7' allow me to use pcAnywehre 12.5?
Can I apply my current 'pcAnywhere Solution  7' to the trial version of PCA 12.5 to activate it?

I'm just trying to use the components I've been licensed for.

thanks.

Apr 22, 2010 01:43 PM

You can download the trialware , or you can purchase PCA 12.5 from here -
http://www.symantec.com/business/products/purchasing.jsp?pcid=pcat_infrastruct_op&pvid=840_1

Apr 22, 2010 01:36 PM

Hello,
We have NS 6.0, and would like to utilize pcAnywhere as you described, but where would PCA 12.5 be downloaded from?
Our Altiris CMS AUP is current through 2012, and I'm able to download the CMS licenses from the LMP which include pcAnywhere solution.
I'm just not able to find where to download pcAnywhere 12.5 from.
Will I need to setup NS 7.0 and download using SIM?

thanks.

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.