Endpoint Protection

View Only

SEP 15 is Cloud based - what's your views 

Feb 13, 2019 08:39 AM

With the announcement slowly tricking in about SEP 15, one thing stood out about this new release is that it's Cloud based product only. While I agree that more and more product are going cloud based, I am still 50/50 on this. What happens if our Internet link goes down and there is an attack in process - how do we handle this?

We have not migrated to SEP 14 Cloud yet, but for others wjo have - what was your thoughs on this? Did you come across any issue with this? What is the pros and cons of this Cloud based product?

For others who want to read more details of this, you can find out at https://www.symantec.com/products/endpoint-protection

SEP 15 Data sheet can be found here - https://www.symantec.com/content/dam/symantec/docs/data-sheets/endpoint-protection-en.pdf

Want to test SEP 15? Go to https://securitycloud.symantec.com. Once you are on the cloud console, you can click on the "Try Now" button next to SEP 15 in the More Products box and start using SEP 15 in a TestPad environment. Once you have reviewed SEP 15 features, tried it with a few test devices, you can then request activation to start using it in your production environment.

For existing customers who want to migrate to SEP 15 - it's not available yet, estimated Q2/Q3 of 2019.

Looking forward to read your pros & cons.

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Jul 12, 2019 01:23 PM

Actually, with 14 you can use both, having policies on your SEPM and when the user goes off the network it will switch to Cloud and you will be able to receive your alerts faster than if you have to wait for user to come back to the office. When they come back the computer will check to the SEPM.

But, it does not seem that you are able to export the device list from the cloud to know if there is any computer that does not connect to Cloud when going off the network. It lacks many things in the cloud console. Itis a basic console.

May 21, 2019 03:37 PM

We will refuse, by policy and by principle, any cloud-only AV/EP product, full-stop. If that means moving to another vendor, so be it. The security, privacy, stability, and bandwidth issues are not worth even investigating. This is on top off endpoints/subnets that do need and do not have internet access but still need protection.

I tested SEP Cloud with a small customer environment, and it's policies are so simple, it's a joke that you would have even more than one. Considering it's datasheet made it sound like the features were comparable to SEP/SEPM on-premise, I was and still am, very disappointed. It appears SEP 15 is in a similar boat and they are rushing to catch up (i.e. they released at least a year premature).

May 14, 2019 03:19 AM

I am totally new to this, but I have been reviewing a few different softwares the last few weeks and I think the main reason I stepped avay from a couple of them, ran trial for a number of days and then uninstalled, was exactly the cloud based administration.

Now, I may be puny in this context (I would by a corporate license of anything because I have to, I own 2 servers, not because I want to) but it strikes me pretty damn hard that other people with more experience, probably a LOT more, also diss Cloud.

So what is the option, keep running 14.2? I just setup a 60 day trial on a server and distributing to my clients, I am leaning on keeping this solution, but not yet clear on how to implement it on Mobile Devices, if even possible.

Since I also live and work in EU there may be GDPR related challenges with Cloud, but that is only a guess and a question.

Apr 01, 2019 10:17 AM

Totally useless.

The network / domain of computers is 100% off line as the only way to keep data secure.

All files are received via email or encrypted download via different computers with transfer via USB devices.

Mar 27, 2019 08:04 AM

Hi Tony, 

SEP on-premise is not going to go away just yet. 

Whilst SEP 15 supports Windows 7 and up it does not support windows server 2003 and older Linux versions.  SEP 14.2 has been mentioned as a hybrid solution now.  

Also think about SEP 15's  'Ever Green' capabilities.  Would you just let the version of SEP be upgraded on your servers through LiveUpdate!

Mar 20, 2019 12:16 PM

Cloud revolution - this is a trend among a lot of providers.....up and coming AV/EDR push a lot on Cloud-hosted

It's GA....but seems no ready yet for cross product integrations

Let's cross our fingers for more updates...

Feb 25, 2019 03:01 AM

That's good to know, thank you. Everywhere I read, it states it's Cloud Only product. Perhaps the articles could be clairifed to prevent for your customers thinking it's cloud only?

As you can see from the comments here (and elsewhere within Connect) that they thought it's Cloud only and that they would not be moving over to SEP v15.

Thanks again.

Feb 24, 2019 08:15 PM

yep will do now please let me know if you can escalate 

Feb 22, 2019 12:49 PM

Will, if you have a Support case for this, can you send me the case #? Thanks.

Adam

Feb 21, 2019 08:21 PM

We also noticed when you delete a device it still stays in the SEP15 console and chews a license 

Symantec will address it in a future release but for the time being there is no workaround. Also the daily default report sends regardless of deleting the schedule and recipients 

some minor glitches but would be a pain if this was in production with those

Feb 16, 2019 11:25 AM

The file submission criteria has not changed from on-prem SEP 14.x to cloud-managed SEP.

Adam

Feb 16, 2019 11:24 AM

Here's a more detailed comparison of policies between 14 and 15: https://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO129409

Adam

Feb 16, 2019 11:23 AM

1) All SEP 14 licenses that are under active maintenance work with SEP 15.

2) A policy migration tool will be available later this year

3) It's not forgotten, but isn't in the new console yet. We plan to bring it in.

You're correct about the hybrid deployment. It's mainly for visibility of on-prem managed clients in addition to managing your cloud-managed clients.

Feb 15, 2019 01:52 PM

On prem sepm is not going away at this time

Feb 15, 2019 12:41 PM

A cloud-based SEP 15 (or 14) is not an option for my organization, because we have too many computers which we block from accessing the Internet for security and business reasons. Think of lab equipment with embedded computers running Windows and require LAN access to control and obtain results. They cost in the hundreds of thousands of dollars and if an experiment (which take days or weeks to complete) is interrupted then the loss of regents are in the thousand or tens of thousands of dollars. A cloud security solution is a non-start for us. Hopefully, Symantec rethinks this approach.

Feb 15, 2019 09:02 AM

Does that mean my files will be sent to Symantec's cloud for analysis/scanning? How can this meet the security policy of most enterprises?

Absolutely. That's exactly why my banking customer's will run away from the product if it's cloud based. They have annual IT federal audits that they have to pass.

Feb 15, 2019 06:25 AM

Does that mean my files will be sent to Symantec's cloud for analysis/scanning? How can this meet the security policy of most enterprises?

Feb 14, 2019 10:44 PM

this is the difference in policy between the versions - also the sep15 client is really just 14.2 no change on the client interface

SEP 14.1 

SEP Evergreen 

Virus and spyware protection 

Antimalware 

Firewall 

Firewall

Intrusion prevention 

Intrusion prevention 

Application & device control 

Blacklist (malware)

Host integrity 

Device integrity 

Exception 

Whitelist 

Memory exploit mitigation 

Exploit protection 

Live update 

System

Device control 

Symantec Endpoint Application control 

Feb 14, 2019 09:58 AM

We don't want cloud based. ONLY premise. Will there still be a premise product? If not we will be migrating all of our customers over to something else after 19 years.

Feb 14, 2019 08:49 AM

For existing policy migration to the cloud, I belive they are currently working on a tool that will accomplish it.

Feb 13, 2019 10:30 PM

we have been told sep15 is available now for deployment however there is some issues 

1) you cant use the sep14 license/serial for 15 if you would like to move to 15 its a new license purchase.

2) all those policies you spent a long time setting up in 14 wont migrate to 15 as its now a completely new cloud product you need to setup the policy from scratch IE copy everything under 14 and manually set it all again under the 15 console 

3) WSS integration seems to have been forgotten under 15 the settings dont exist under any of the 15 policies, im assuming this is still under development at symantec

I havent had time to review which features of 14 are not available in 15 but due to the simplicity of 15 there would be some features in the granular 14 policy that are no longer available 

there is the option to use the 15 cloud console to see what your 14 clients are doing but this requires the SEPM on prem and the enrollment under the 14 console I think this is the hybrid deployment but someone from symantec will clarify 

whats confusing is the actual product names - there is now SEP, SEP cloud, SEP SBE cloud and now sep15 (which is also cloud)

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.