Deployment Solution

View Only

SMART for DS 7.1 & SMP SP5 (Depreciated for future versions) 

Oct 06, 2010 10:55 AM

SMART = well, a first shot frankly, until I got buy-in from the PM and now it has grown.

NOTE:  This is ONLY tested up to the point of this release, that is DS 7.1 on SMP SP5  MR3.  We strongly recommend you not use this on future versions, especially 7.1 SP1 on SMP 7.1.  There are inherent conflicts with modifications in the software that does NOT work.  Translation - the developers took some of my suggestions to heart and now their work conflicts with mine.

Briefly, this includes essentially five "packs" of things that you may find useful, and more information about the product can be read in the attached document:

1. Custom tasks to speed certain functions
  2. Custom reports to help you find or view DS statuses.
  3. Custom packages to help replication of drivers.
  4. Documentation and Information to help you understand and use the product
  5. Custom Interface/Views to assist in use of the product.

This is also in the Symantec KB here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO26135

The simple instructions to use are:

Unzip into ...\Altiris\Deployment\SMART (create the folder please) (pwd = SMART).

Run the VBS files in there for whatever you want.  Recommended order is:

1. Tasks
  2. Reports
  3. Packages
  4. Documentation
  5. Interface (requires the other 4 be in place or you will receive errors)

Please review the Read-Me.  We've found that on some systems, after installing #5 above, the custom "menu" doesn't quite take.  We don't know why, but all you have to do is go to the Menu's in Settings and hit "apply" and bam - it's there.  More info in the doc.

Statistics
0 Favorited
1 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads
Attachment(s)
zip file
SMART for DS 7.1 & SMP 7.0 SP5 (pwd SMART).zip   1.05 MB   1 version
Uploaded - Feb 25, 2020

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Sep 02, 2011 02:36 PM

The DS Samples is the replacement for this "product" since I was able to get official approval from the PM to add it.  That said, I'm not sure if/when the samples will be added to the product, but we did submit it to Dev.  We'll see!

Aug 05, 2011 03:52 PM

Please tell me this will be updated for SMP7.1!

Apr 13, 2011 06:35 PM

Hi, is this replaced from https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/deployment-solution-samples-v71-sp1-smpcms-71-x64

?

Feb 17, 2011 02:33 PM

Hey guys,

since installing this I've started receiving this in my NS logs regarding the 3rd party package, anyone happen to know how to resolve?

"2/17/2011 2:30:00 PM","The NS failed to refresh package snapshot. Could not access the package path. Package:{6029767b-fd05-49b2-a580-796c17fd2c98}, Path:\\NTV-US01-SMC7.na.compcorp.com\Deployment\SupportTools
**CEDUrlStart** :http://entced.symantec.com/entt?product=SMP&version=7.0.8641.0&language=en&module=0YbBLqbIX9QfZZ3f/ft7iqqVJRoeHlvsk24vTfb8nQpiazqSPjnhlK1xkfs2s1xj&error=-1861750671&build=**CEDUrlEnd**
","Altiris.NS.StandardItems.SoftwareDelivery.SWDSupport.ManageDistributionPoints","AeXSvc","70"

Feb 11, 2011 06:13 AM

Thomas, can we apply this Smart View to ITMS 7.1 when it comes out in March, or do we need to wait for an updated version from you?

Really enjoying you work, and the effort you're putting into this!

Jan 05, 2011 01:13 AM

if you could successfully create and then market an app that could prevent all user errors like mine, you wouldn't be working for symantec.  or anyone else, for that matter.  ;)

Dec 31, 2010 01:58 PM

See, at one point I had made an application that would prevent this problem.  However, since I'm not a developer and all of "this" is done on the side, the application took too much of my time.  Soooo, the cost is this issue happening occassionally.

Good catch!

Dec 31, 2010 12:25 PM

well i figured out my problem.  it was all me.  see my screenshot below and i bet it'll take you about 0.000001 seconds to figure out what I did wrong.  *facepalm*

Apparently getting enough sleep is a GOOD thing once in a while. Now to check out your nifty (i mean SMART) utilities!

Dec 31, 2010 08:56 AM

but you're right that this should work.  I always use the full CMS installation for what I put in, and I guess...  hmmm.

Well, I was thinking about breaking this up a bit more anyway, so maybe now is a good time.

Thanks for the feedback. 

Oh, the message you received basically said it couldn't import the items, which makes little to no sense unless you didn't do this on the NS, OR you didn't have rights.  All I did was 1) export some XML from reports, etc, I created and 2) made a VBS to run the importer utility for you so you didn't have to know where to import them to.  That's it.  Failing to run the import generally means you either have it already and it can't replace, or don't have rights or something weird about the XML itself, like not being able to be imported due to dependencies or something.  I'll look.

Thanks again.

Dec 30, 2010 05:30 PM

Just tried installing this on my test box, which was built about 2 weeks ago, using whatever the latest stuff is from symantec (not beta).

Each VBS file brought up a blank DOS window for a few seconds, then showed an error message for about 1-2 seconds before disappearing.  I'm not sure if it was the same text in each one but they looked awful similar. I managed to catch a scresnshot of the last one (interface).

Dos box was titled c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe - "c:\program files\altiris\notification server\bin\tools\importexp...

text in the box:

AeXImportExport being run with the command line:

/import /q C:\Program Files\Altiris\Deployment\SMART\SMART DS KB & Tips Portal.xml

Failed to import the item from the file [C:\Program Files\Altiris\Deployment\SMART\SMART DS KB & Tips Portal.xml]. Check the xml format

According to SIM I have the following versions of these key parts.  I did not install the entire ITMS suite, only certain solutions.

CMDB SP1 MR2 7.0.1389

DS core MR3 7.1.643

SMP SP5 7.0.8641

there are of course loads of other items in SIM, but i think these are the only ones that matter for this. 

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.