Client Management Suite

View Only

Giving Installation Executables Administrator Rights 

Apr 18, 2007 01:08 PM

I've found a very cool freeware tool called "SteelSonic Run-As". It allows you to create standalone .exe files with administrative permissions. This .exe file allows computers to run as a standard user with admin privileges. The best thing is that can you do this without giving the computer user any administrator privileges.

Overview

Sometimes you need to install or execute programs without provide administrator rights to anyone. Imagine that you need to install some program without having access to the high level tools that would normally help you do this job?

For example, you can install Microsoft Office only using this tool by simply creating a .exe program that points to the setup stored on a software storage server and recording the admin/password information. After setting things up, you send this .exe program to the end user and he will be able to run this program without asking anyone to (with administrator priviliges) to perform the installation.

Moreover, "Steel Run-As" supports file CRC checking. The CRC (or cyclic redundancy check) produces a fixed size checksum and is usually used to detect errors after transmission or storage. Using the CRC also prevents the end user from renaming the target file.

License

Steel Run-As has a Freeware license for all private and corporate users.

How to Use

• Run the Steel Run AS program
  • Add the information required to the mail screen
  • Click on the "Create Executable" and select the destination path for that "run as" executable

You can download Steel Run-As HERE.

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Oct 07, 2010 10:54 AM

Update: Win XP,Vista,2003,2008 and Windows 7 Compatible

May 24, 2007 01:03 PM

yes, exactly what I already posted.
The encryption allows to protecs any vital information included in the executable file.
Regards
PM

May 03, 2007 05:56 AM

I didn't find any clear password in the exe file. 64bit encryption is an excellent way to protect this vital information.
Thanks

May 03, 2007 02:55 AM

After a contact with the software author, I confirm that SteelRunAs program has got a 64bit encryption for password stored inside the executable.
Regards
PM

Apr 20, 2007 09:41 AM

ok, thanks for your clarification.I tried to looking for a user account info (including spaces) .... but I'll take a look in the file in deep.
Regards
PM

Apr 20, 2007 08:20 AM

I just verified it myself. If you open the .exe in notepad you'll see it in plain text amongst the gibberish. You can also simplify the process by doing a ctrl-f and searching. The trick is putting a space between each letter.

Apr 20, 2007 07:14 AM

Sorry, I didn't. I trusted the information published. Maybe I was to quick to judge.

Apr 20, 2007 03:16 AM

I tried to investigate and reproduce your steps but in the .exe file I don't see any information about domain, user or password ... I missed something?
BTW, someone else has tried to reproduce the same thing? and with the same results?
Thanks
PM

Apr 20, 2007 03:15 AM

That's true. It can be solved.
Nevertheless, the tool is promising some kind of security while it is a actually opening a breach. When it comes to security the mechanisms used should be outlined clearly. Thus, it would have been different for my judgement, if they had posted this on their webpage right away.

Apr 19, 2007 08:01 PM

The solution is simple, compress the executable with UPX, and Encrypt it.
Ok, it is a failure that it is not in the tool, but it is not something it can't be solved :)
FrankB

Apr 19, 2007 04:57 PM

If it is that easy to find out, you can give the password directly to the user. Which might end up as the better (less-risky) solution.

Apr 19, 2007 03:15 PM

If you open the new executable with notepad you can easily see the username/password. I like the idea but there needs to be some sort of encryption to be viable.

Apr 19, 2007 10:49 AM

Thanks Riva11!
I think that could be helpful for some installation without use evolute applications.

Apr 18, 2007 03:53 PM

On their home page it is nowhere said how they encrypt/secure the password.

Apr 18, 2007 02:19 PM

As per chance I gave someone this advice today.
And I know you're not Dutch. This is really spooky!
2 Minds alike it seems :)
FrankB

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.