Client Management Suite

View Only

Altiris Deployment Solution Job Search Utility 

Aug 26, 2009 12:45 PM

One of the most frustrating problems with Deployment Server is the lack of the ability to search jobs. There are many scenarios where searching jobs is useful - here are just a few,

1. To find all those Adobe Reader jobs you've got so that you can be sure that all the vulnerable version deployments are patched
  2. You've got an image sitting on your Deployment Solution express share, but don't know if its got an active job attached
  3. You've moved from using DOS to Linux/WinPE for image deployment, and want to be sure that you've upgraded all the jobs which used your "Managed DOS" environment
  4. You want to tidy up your PXE Configuration menu, but can't as there are jobs linking to the option you want to delete.

The tool attached to this article aims to solve these issues by providing very quickly all the jobs which satisfy your search string. Not only the job names are searched, but automation options and image file paths too.

It has been tested on Deployment Solution 6.9 SP2.

Installing the Tool

To get the search tool up and running on your server, execute the MSI attached to install. This will install the DS Job Search HTML application into "C:\Program Files\DS Job Searcher". It will activate with the hotkey CTRL-ALT-q, ALTGR + q or it is available on the Start Menu.

Running the Tool

Once the utility has started, either by pressing Ctrl+Alt+q or AltGr+q or clicking the 'DS Job Search' icon under Start / Programs, you are presented with the simple search panel.

Start Tool

The search text is a straight pattern match: the text entered is pattern-match against all the following:

i) all DS job names,
   ii) all DS imaging jobs that use an image file with the pattern text in the path, and
   iii) all DS jobs that boot to automation environments where the pattern text is in the automation environment name.

In the example above the result is as follows:

Match found

No matches were found for the pattern here:

No matches

Below a more ambiguous pattern is entered, resulting in matches for 'DOS' against job names, image file names and automation environment names:

Multiple matches

The string pattern is not case sensitive and will accept 'special' characters such as square bracket [ percent % single quote ' and backslash \. If there is any escaping of special characters required the program does this automatically. For a pattern to match it can exist anywhere in the test text.

How the tool works

The application works by connecting to the ODBC connection "Altiris eXpress Database" and executing SQL queries on the express database directly. In order to make the tool work as a standalone item, we've avoided relying on the creation of custom SQL functions. This makes the SQL is more complicated than we'd normally write, and hence the use of cursors in the code.

This utility was created by D.Collins (GUI, scripting and packaging) and I.Atkin (SQL queries). We hope you find this useful.

Darren Collins
Applications Packaging and Deployment for the ICT Support Team,
Oxford University, UK.

- 0.7.3 - Fixed error when results included a job stored at the root of the Job tree.

Statistics
0 Favorited
2 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads
Attachment(s)
zip file
DSJobSearch_0.7.2.zip   265 KB   1 version
Uploaded - Feb 25, 2020
zip file
DSJobSearch_0.7.3.zip   266 KB   1 version
Uploaded - Feb 25, 2020

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Aug 30, 2010 10:06 AM

Great tool.  Nice to have.  For those that don't want to use DSN and want to deploy this to workstation techs or any one else,  you can modify the following line to make it work on any XP or W7 box.

Oriiginal Line
<input type="radio" name="WhichDB" value="Name of DSN ">Display Name &nbsp

Modified Line
<input type="radio" name="WhichDB" value="Driver={SQL Server}; Server=dbserver; Database=database; UID=username; PWD=password">Display Name &nbsp

Obviosly, replace dbserver with the real name of your server, database with you express database name, username and password with ones that have access to your server to at least read the data.

Thanks again for the great tool!!

Jun 11, 2010 03:57 PM

As it happens, I found that link just a little before you posted and did just that!

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/altiris-deployment-solution-job-search-utility-now-multi-db-chooser

Cheers!  I appreciate all feedback - positive or otherwise.  :)

Jun 11, 2010 03:40 PM

Gibson99, to upload your modified code why not create new Connect Download detailing your changes and motivations?

Jun 11, 2010 02:50 PM

I have modified the HTA to allow you to choose from different ODBC Connections before you search - very handy since I manage 11 different DSs! 

...how do i upload the file so others can use it?

(edit: in case anyone saw my original post full of code, i figured out what the problem was with my original modifications - i just needed to change a few things)

Jun 11, 2010 04:48 AM

You're welcome ;o)

Jun 10, 2010 12:39 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for this great tool (which I found via the facebook altiris group).  As you said, it's great when cleaning up the PXE menu to find out exactly which jobs are holding the PXE boot option hostage (in use), since we're phasing out Linux and going to PE. 

Thanks again!

Feb 15, 2010 03:24 AM

Well done Xaveer, as we have NS we didn't even think of this. Very useful indeed for those running Deployment Server without the NS infrastructure behind it.

The article doesn't seem to be live at the moment... but will keep an eye out!

Kind Regards,
Ian./

Feb 14, 2010 02:12 PM

I took the original download from Darren Collins in this article and modified it to create:
DS Installed Software Search.hta
DS Missing Software Search.hta
Altiris Deployment server 'Installed Software Search' and 'Missing Software Search'

Both look in the Deployment server application-table (add/remove software on the client); one will list computers with software installed, the other will list computers that are missing certain software.

To make the results more reliable only computers are listed that have a recent inventory (inventory date < 35 days).

Nov 04, 2009 01:26 PM

Hi Gerard,

I am saying nothing.... but its ...SO.... HARD...... ;-)

Kind Regards,
Ian./

Nov 04, 2009 10:28 AM

Sir, I would very much like to have your babies - should it be biologically feasible.

Sep 29, 2009 03:29 AM

Thank you!

Sep 07, 2009 02:46 AM

Yes, very helpful tool.

Aug 28, 2009 04:01 PM

Hah.. I was just writing SQL queries to do this. I'll use this instead. Thanks.

Aug 28, 2009 04:04 AM

Even if I do say so myself..... ;-)

Kind Regards,
Ian./ 

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.