Workflow and ServiceDesk Community

View Only

"Object Reference Not Set..." - Salvaging a Busted Project 

Oct 01, 2015 01:06 PM

Original article is posted here.

During a working session with a customer a while back, I ran into something I haven’t seen in a while.  After making some major changes with data types and mapping in the project, I attempted to spool the debugger, and got this:

2015-03-02_14-52-24.png

Now, once upon a time, this error meant to me that “oh crap, there goes an hour’s worth of unsaved progress”, because this problem prevents saving the project as well.  While I don’t have a sincere diagnosis for the problem, I certainly figured out the hammer as a solution.

What this error seems to mean is that there is a really horrible problem somewhere in one of the models (possibly the primary model).  The only way I’ve been able to recover from this is to start at the primary model, select everything (Ctrl + A) and either: 1. Delete or 2. Cut (Ctrl + X).  Yes, as I said, it’s a hammer.  Then, attempt to save the project.  If the save works, then go ahead and Undo (Ctrl + Z, whether you deleted or cut) or Paste (Ctrl + V, if you cut).  If it’s a complex model, it may take a bit to restore the model.  After it’s restored, validate the model and attempt to save again.  If the save attempts are not successful, try other models one at a time.

So far, this issue has only occurred twice in 7.5 (earlier versions of 7.5, anyway), but it would happen once a day back when I did full time development in 7.1.  Suffice it to say that I really wish I’d known about this “fix” back then, because I lost a lot of work back in those days to this bug.  I have not yet had this problem occur while working with 7.6.

Hope that helps someone in the future!

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.