Client Management Suite

View Only

Media Storage :: Location, Location, Location 

Jun 29, 2007 08:46 AM

During my years of application packaging, I have found that having a server with all the Media copied out to it makes for an easy place when you have to reinstall an application or rebuild a machine's SVS layers.
Having all our media out there -- with the CD Keys -- provides a location where we can add accumulated patches and service packs for those applications. Yes, it might take up a lot of space BUT when you need to rebuild an application it is much easier to go to the network drive and run the install than it is to spend time looking for the associated CDs. Quick, easy, and takes some of the sting out of the rebuild process. Thanks and good luck. Tom Fronza State of Ohio Dept. of Taxation.

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Jun 30, 2007 05:29 AM

Or you can use SearchMyDiscs.
Only Today for free, http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/searchmydiscs/
greeting
Thunder-man

Jun 29, 2007 09:59 PM

Another way to keep track of your removable media like application discs is with a $39 product called Datacatch Librarian www.datacatch.com
It basically extends the Windows file management system so that you are seamlessly searching for files stored on removable media or the media (like a driver CD) with standard Windows tools and browse thumbnails. What’s good about this is there is nothing new to learn.
So you can take a $20 CD/DVD rack/folder with Datacatch Librarian and for less than $100 have a basic data archive and media management solution.

Jun 29, 2007 09:53 AM

Good suggestion Tom, in my experience I did exactly the same environment, in ech facilities I created a software folder where I can find all software , patches and packages. In these years I reduced problems to looking for CDs or downloading big updates.
Regards
PM

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.