Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Unable to boot iPXE after upgrade to 8.7.1

Posted Dec 07, 2023 04:28 AM
    Edited by JanTorsten Hobohm Dec 07, 2023 06:06 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

did someone experienced the same issue?

After upgrading my VMware lab to be prepared for a customer next week, the client is not able to boot to preboot using iPXE.

A copy of TFTP log is attached. Somehow the logging changed. IIS log does not show iPXE downloads anymore and all file transfer seems to be in the TFTP log. Just a guess...
    I recreated the original iPXE boot environment after upgrade and created a new one with a name without underline. No change.
    There are no DHCP options. Domain controller and SMP are in the same subnet. Firewalls are off.
    Boot to preboot using TFTP works, but iPXE is much more desirable. The customer has no access to DHCP and iPXE is hard tied.
    By the way, last week I migrated a SMP to a new machine and an new database server. Went smooth, site server and clients moved from old to new environment. 
    But, one exception.. iPXE does not work, too. 
    Different message, could provide logs later, because it was a dirty job doing this in eight hours with 17 site servers and 2000 clients.

Thanks for every suggestion.

JT.

Attachment(s)

txt
    SbsLog_Tftp - Copy.txt   254 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Unable to boot iPXE after upgrade to 8.7.1

Posted Dec 11, 2023 05:31 AM

Hi,

the problem in my lab seemed to be a problem with the two network adapters all my virtual machines have. One is for access to production (internet) and the second is for the test network.

The client has both, too and the mapping of the network adapter to production got an answer from the boot server and the boot file, but the client could not access the iPXE files.

After changing the network mappings vmnet0 and vmnet1, iPXE is running.

Now i have to figure out the customer problem...

• 3.  RE: Unable to boot iPXE after upgrade to 8.7.1

Posted Dec 11, 2023 05:33 AM

I saw the same PXE-E21 today which has something to do with the NBS general settings.