I'm running SMP 8.1 RU7 where I believe after updating to the latest Symantec Installation Manager (SIM) on 4/10/23, noticed that my pmimport process went from maybe 10-15 minutes to about 5+ hours! Anyone else see this as well and know why this is happening now?
Good morning Clint!
Is there any error, warning messages in NS logs that PMimport file is in use, etc?Amount of selected languages and vendors isn't changed for PMimport?
Note:SIM update doesn't cause any changes for resources import functionality of NS, therefore mostly this could be caused by current NS, SQL resources load/availability (CPU, Memory, HDD)
For such test purpose, I used VM machine where NS 8.1 RU7 and SQL on-box (and only 10GB of memory is available), PMImport took 22 minutes to import 7zip, Microsoft, Mozilla, Notepad++, Rarlab, Winzip vendors
What amount of imported Bulletins and Updates you have in latest PMImport and in previous PMimport?
I noticed that the Altiris Host Object Service was using a lot of CPU for some reason so I had rebooted the SMP server yesterday and the pmimport ran in the timeframe I expected this morning.Have no idea what prompted this issue as I haven't added any vendors to the import recently or for awhile now where unless I missed it, the logs didn't provide any clues. The import would eventually finish but 5+ hours later. Again, only change I made was update the SIM last week Monday.
Original Message:Sent: Apr 17, 2023 04:08 PMFrom: ClintSubject: PMImport Taking Way Longer
Atleast you can find what task or job was running at that time when Task Server was busy along with PMimport task running.Default reports can provide this information