Endpoint Protection

View Only

How To Block Internet address via Sep Manager Firewall Rule 

Nov 16, 2009 05:26 AM

Hi everybody.
If we have not got ISA Server or Firewall how can we block internet addres? Symantec Endpoint Protection can help.
In this article I want to show how can we block internet address step-by-step.
In the Policies Tab >Right click and add for new Firewall Policy> I given name Internet Site Block

1.JPG

Than Click Rules Tab> in here we can see original firewall rules> Click Add Rule. the "Add Firewall Rule Wizard" will open,Click Next

2.JPG

There are 4 Rule Type in here, Application,Host,Network Service and Blank Rule. Choice Host and click Next

3.JPG

In the Address Type: Choice "DNS Domain"   than write your want to block internet address for example *.facebook.com and click Next.

4.JPG

We will see Trusted Host Rule Complate Screen and DNS names which we add before. We can add more Domain Names, Just click "Add More" button. Click Finish
5.JPG

Now we can see our internet site blok rule in number 8 and name Rule 0.

6.JPG

We should change name for remember it and Click Move Up Button for First Firewall Rule. Than Rigth Click in Action Tab and Select "Block" Therefore we Block this domain name.

7.JPG

When we Click OK Button SEP Manager ask to us for assign this policy now. Click Yes and Choice Group (in the picture i choice test group)

9.JPG

When Policy assign in the group all clients wil take new policy. And result, Client try to connect site and Sep Firewall Block users.

10.JPG

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Feb 18, 2010 01:57 PM

You'll find your answer by using the search option :)

Eric

Feb 18, 2010 07:32 AM

Pls create a separate thread for your problem.Click on Forms in top of this page you will get option for it. 

Feb 18, 2010 07:20 AM

if we forget SEPM Password what we can do Please suggest

Feb 17, 2010 01:28 PM

Eric or Fatih - can SEP block a specific file/directory of the specified website? Thanks.

Feb 16, 2010 07:25 AM

Good to hear that now we can block the internet address via Sep Manager Firewall Rule, Nice explanation and guidelines which you gave it will be helpful to us so that we can secure our datas from computers.

tile cleaning

Feb 16, 2010 12:01 AM

Glad you enjoy this article.  If you have additional questions regarding other issues, I'd like ot suggest you try searching for specific terms, as the "green dot" has been discussed quite a bit in a variety of threads.

Best,

Eric

Feb 13, 2010 12:46 PM

We have lot issues with the internet usuage.SOme times my address or accoutn informtion are been hacked and i have lot of such issues. THis article on How To Block Internet address via Sep Manager Firewall Rule is given me an idea how to block the hacking of internet address. THanks for shairng this informaton...can we have a PPT of this so that it will be more user friendly.
EDIT

Feb 03, 2010 04:30 AM

Hello, Can I prevent virus by installing Sep Manager Firewall. And in my computer Firewall is already on by default. Which one will restrict my computer from virus?submit articles

Feb 02, 2010 04:20 AM

you should a full system scan and must to delete trojen and any viruses,
if you block your pop3 or smtp traffic via sep you cannot send and take email from anyone.

Regards.
Fatih

Feb 02, 2010 03:04 AM

Hi, I got this powerful virus in my system from my mail. This virus is send datas from my computer. How can I protect my computer. Please suggest me the solution to remove this virus. Which software is good for protecting from this virus? Thanks!
EDIT

Jan 13, 2010 12:41 AM

Yes. You can apply different policy for different locations.  However, you can monitor the logs under Monitor> Logs > Network Threat Protection and Attacks/Packets.

Jan 12, 2010 04:14 PM

Hello NTC
First of all if you write questions in forum you can take fast reply :)
you can create locations. and each locations have got diffrent firewall policy. for your laptop users you can create 2 rules. one of them "in office" rule another is "out of office rule"
therefore the user cannot access www.examplesite.com in company but when he go to home the location will change and sep firewall rule will change automaticly.
Best Regards.
Fatih 

Jan 12, 2010 02:27 PM

If i block urls with IPS, and enable Localiton Awareness is it possible to block or unblock this rule depending of the location???

Regards,
NTC

Jan 06, 2010 04:57 AM

hi David 

Pls do not post irrelevant problems under article.Pls post it in a new thread under forms so that it will get maximum visibility in the form

Jan 06, 2010 04:22 AM

Hi everyone,

i was just having a problem with my sep management console. I cannot log on to it..and one thing more, I cannot see any more the green dot on the sep clients..that means they are not connected to the management console…Is there a way to reset the password? And can any one tell what is the solution to this problem..

Thanks and more power
David

Dec 30, 2009 09:15 AM

you can monitor it from SEP Manager ;)
Thanks

Dec 28, 2009 03:54 AM

Is a good article :)
By the way how we can monitor it ? Or pull the report from the firewall or ips where we block the site from SEPM ?

Regards

Dec 22, 2009 01:24 AM

You can also use Intrusion Prevention Signatures. Just create a customized signature. Please see the image below. Inser this line in the content:
rule tcp, dest=(80,8080), msg="Accessing Google Website", content=www.google.com

1. 2.JPG
2.1.JPG

Dec 17, 2009 03:00 AM

thanks for the firewal policy

Dec 10, 2009 06:43 AM

Thank you everybody.
I hope this help to you.
SEP Firewall Rules  are very easy to use.

Regards.
Fatih

Dec 10, 2009 06:23 AM

thanks a lot

Dec 10, 2009 03:46 AM

Great Work

Dec 09, 2009 02:44 PM

good work

Dec 02, 2009 10:27 AM

thanks.

Dec 01, 2009 07:21 PM

Thanks dude, now i understood what i was doing wrong.

Dec 01, 2009 03:15 AM

Nice work Fatih..too many people had doubts on how to do this..

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.