Endpoint Protection

View Only

Symantec Endpoint Recovery Tool (SERT) 

May 06, 2010 12:38 PM

The Symantec Endpoint Recovery Tool is an image that you can burn on a disc, which you can use to scan and remove malware from client computers. You use this tool for the computers that are too infected for Symantec  Endpoint Protection to clean effectively.

Please note:
This video is best viewed in full screen by selecting the square icon in the lower right corner of the video player.

Statistics
0 Favorited
1 Files
0 Shares
1 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Jul 26, 2017 02:31 AM

It worked!!!!...Thankyou so much!!

Mar 27, 2014 04:24 AM

Is it possible for SERT to just log the virus instead of removing them? What I've read from the help file is that it will remove high risk files automatically but I just want to log them.

Dec 10, 2013 02:15 PM

Is an MD5 available for SERT 2.0.24?

Thank you in advance...

Oct 14, 2013 07:25 PM

You are still a little lame in your deployment. First off I should be able to put it on a USB Stick, and it should load networking and download the Virus definition files. PLEASE DOWNLOAD AND AVG CD and copy it.

This way it will always have the latest definitions.

Oct 09, 2012 10:52 PM

Hi,

Is it possible for SERT to just log the virus instead of removing them? What I've read from the help file is that it will remove high risk files automatically but I just want to log them. 

Thanks in advance.

Sep 06, 2012 11:51 AM

Never mind... use all 9's - it works!

Sep 06, 2012 11:50 AM

It worked!!! Thanks!!! yes

Sep 06, 2012 11:46 AM

I can't believe I downloaded a 500MB file and burned it to a disk and wasted all that time to find out that it asks for a non-existent PIN and it won't work.  Now I have to download it all over again and burn another CD and then roll the dice again and hope that it will work. I was hoping someone would have put a PIN on here we could use. Oh well...angry

May 03, 2012 10:54 PM

Problem

On a date of April 30th, 2012 or later,  the Symantec Endpoint Recovery Tool (SERT) prompts the user for a PIN.

No serial number, license number, or PIN exists for this tool.  The scan will not run without a PIN.

Error

The error reads: "Not a valid Product Key. Try again."

Cause

The expiry is by design.

Temporary Solution

For a PIN number put all 9s (9999999...9) untill full and click "I Agree"

May 03, 2012 10:46 PM

Problem

On a date of April 30th, 2012 or later,  the Symantec Endpoint Recovery Tool (SERT) prompts the user for a PIN.

No serial number, license number, or PIN exists for this tool.  The scan will not run without a PIN.

Error

The error reads: "Not a valid Product Key. Try again."

Cause

The expiry is by design.

Temporary Solution

For a PIN number put all 9s (9999999...9) untill full and click "I Agree"

Nov 30, 2011 12:43 PM

Instead of burning the ISO to a CD and manually inserting, try deliverying the ISO via Intel vPro Technology using Symantec Management Platform.   See optimized demonstration on this can be done - http://www.symantec.com/connect/videos/demonstration-deliverying-symantec-endpoint-recovery-tool-intel-vpro-technology

Oct 08, 2011 11:14 PM

Unfortunately, the current version (2.0.24) that does not ask for a PIN is not compatible with grub4dos.

As many support professionals, I have a bootable USB stick that contains several bootables ISOs that I can choose with a grub4dos menu.

Among these ISOs, SERT.

SERT ISO version 1.0.17 used worked fine with grub4dos; it still works if you hack the date in the BIOS, which is inconvenient.

Sert ISO version 2.0.24 fails with the following:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------- Norton Bootable Recovery Tool failed to launch. Required file --------
-------- not found. Program will exit. [ERR-0001] --------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think it is linked to the fact that 2.0.24 uses the new Windows 7 PE (opposed to: the Vista-based PE used in 1.0.17); I have some other ISOs using the new Windows 7 PE that work just fine with grub4dos (example: Paragon 2011).

Can we please have a SERT ISO that works good with grub4dos the same way 1.0.17 used too? Soon I"m going to need a sherpa to carry my box of bootable CDs, can't we move to the 21st century and have multiple ISOs boot from a USB stick, please?

Thanks

Michel.

Jul 08, 2011 02:14 PM

I have the Small Business Edition of SEP (v12.0) and the Reovery tool doesn't show on the list of downloads.  Is the SERT not available for this product?

TJ

Jun 08, 2011 03:55 AM

You should have updated the http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159200 , i have been waiting for the new version and was subscribe to the supportarticle.

Jun 03, 2011 05:28 PM

The issue with the Symantec Endpoint Recovery Tool asking for a PIN has been resolved.  The new tool no longer requires a PIN. 

The tool is available via Fileconnect, as seen in the video.

May 25, 2011 10:52 PM

Hi there is a work around documented here

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159200

In short quoted from the KB

"Until then, users who wish to use the SERT tool can set their computer's BIOS to April 29th 2011 or earlier.  Once the date is set the SERT tool will no longer prompt for a PIN."

Hope this helps.

May 21, 2011 02:13 AM

How do I get a PIN Serial Number ? I don't know , please publish a document How do I get?

May 04, 2011 08:22 PM

ROFL what a clasic FAIL. Thanks for the response Rzworld.

May 04, 2011 12:48 PM

Please check this KB article : 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159200

May 04, 2011 12:49 AM

Hi another great Video. 

I have downloaded the sert iso (version 1.0.17) and have run it up in a virtual machine I have got to the licence screen and it is asking PIN. No where in the video or in the documentation here http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH131732&locale=en_US

does it mention entering a PIN can some please advise what I need to do to get a PIN? 

Jan 31, 2011 05:19 AM

the non-business version of SERT is

Norton Power Eraser

Jan 29, 2011 04:28 AM

hi there,

i work in one company as technical support,here our server and users machines are  infected with virus.In folder sub folders are created and that subfolder is a virus,i want to remove that virus from there machinesand for that i have scan the machine in safemode but it doesnt work yet.plz suggest me what to do now.

Jan 27, 2011 02:13 PM

This tool is great. I had a cyberdefender program on my employees' laptops, but somehow one of them still managed to get a virus (probably because someone changed the settings or downloaded a non authorized program). It is not only easy to obtain the tool, but also to use it. Luckily, everything was able to recovered - and recovered quickly.

Thanks Symantec!

Jan 06, 2011 05:09 PM

Great tool!

Does symantec offer boot-time scanning on computers encrypted with Guardian Edge (now Symantec Endpoint Encryption)?

If not, will it ever?

It is very inconvenient to have to boot into a malware infected system, decrypt (for hours), then use this tool to clean it, and then have to re-encrypt it.

I am hoping that because Symantec now has obtained some decent encrption companies, they will allow a way to securely scan encrypted drives (especially with their own encryption software)

Thanks!

-Nate

Jan 04, 2011 04:11 PM

I am having a hard time finding in depth documentaiton on SERT, SEP Support Tool, nor SEP Power Eraser.  The original page for the latter two seem to now redirect to a KB article with less information than the original page.  And SERT doesn't appear in any of the bundled documentation for SEP.

What's the difference(s) between SERT and the Support Tool?  When do you use one over the other?  Does Symantec plan to merge the two utilities together at some point?

Thanks for the clarificaiton.

Oct 29, 2010 02:18 AM

It is towards the bottom

Oct 01, 2010 12:46 PM

When I log into to fileconnect I do not see the SERT tool, has it been removed?

Sep 14, 2010 01:18 PM

Does it work on machines encrypted with Safeboot, for instance?

Thanks.

Sep 01, 2010 11:46 PM

PC infected with Fake AV. I downloaded SERT ISO, burned it on a CD, expanded def files onto a USB. Booted from CD. First attempt gave me an error that there was not enough space to create Pagefile so the application exited. Where is it trying to create the pagefile, I know that I have 55 GB space left on C drive? 2nd attempt to boot goes up to a DOS window "Select x:\windows\system32\wpeutil.exe and stops. Attempt to boot the machine in Safe Mode with Command Line fails.
What is going on?

Aug 11, 2010 05:55 AM

good...

May 27, 2010 01:54 PM

The video shows how to get it from fileconnect.

May 22, 2010 10:31 PM

how can i get a copy of the Symantec Endpoint Recovery Tool ?  I have been plagues with clients having various viruses lately and many are so embedded that my normal tool are not very effective (at least from the time to recover perspective)

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.