Endpoint Protection

View Only

Symantec Endpoint Protection Installation on Macintosh 

Jul 07, 2010 01:33 PM

This video will contain information about the System Requirements, Installation and Liveupdate on Macintosh.

SEP RU6(11.0.6000.550) and Higher can be installed on Macintosh

The version of Macintosh that can have SEP installed on it are as follows
OSX10.4  (Tiger)
OSX 10.5 (Leopard)
OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager will run on Windows

Please Note:
This video is best viewed in full screen mode (depending on the size of your display) by selecting the square icon in the lower right corner of the video player.

Statistics
0 Favorited
1 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Apr 08, 2013 06:22 AM

Nice one.

Regards

Ajin

May 30, 2012 08:00 AM

Nice Video.

Feb 08, 2011 10:19 AM

It is not possible at this time. SEP for Mac is antivirus only. No NTP, no Application and Device Control.

sandra

Feb 08, 2011 02:28 AM

Hi ,

I would like to implement a device control policy for mac client. The client should detect only specific USB device which is exclusively allowed under exception(device id). This policy has worked for windows machine but not happening with mac. Please advise!

Jan 06, 2011 06:58 AM

I created a new thread following your suggestion (https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-error-trying-export-mac-package)

--Kishore

Jan 06, 2011 06:30 AM

I don't even see Mac listed in the list of Client Install Package. I only see Win32 and Win64. 

I connect to the windows 2008 server that has SEP using RDP.

Sorry, I thought since this thread discusses on how to install SEP on Mac, I should post questions here instead of a new thread.

Jan 05, 2011 10:11 AM

Within the SEPM, if you go to Admin > Install Packages and select Client Install Packages, do you see the Mac installation package?  Instead of using the Migration and Deployment Wizard to export, if you go under Tasks then choose Export Client Install Package, does it work?

How are you connecting to the SEPM: are you local to the machine, using RDP, using the Java or Web console?

By the way, for a new issue or question, it's always best to open a new thread.  More people will typically see it that way.

sandra

Jan 05, 2011 05:51 AM

Hello,

An Excellent Video Mudit.

Hope you are getting more of such video's....

Jan 05, 2011 02:11 AM

I tried doing it for Windows. It gave the same error a couple of times, but when I retried it was successful. But multiple retires and restarts didn't help Mac package export

Kishore

Jan 05, 2011 02:06 AM

Your video shows steps from choosing the Mac package from the "Client install package" screen. But how does one get the Mac package listed in "Client install package". I used Migration and deployment wizard to export Mac package but got the below error

"Failed to retrieve the Mac package from the Management Server. Please make sure the Management server is operational"

I'm using 11.0.6200.754

Kishore

Aug 24, 2010 10:16 AM

- Mac support was added in 11.0.6000 (RU6).  They cannot be managed with a SEPM earlier than that (RU5 or earlier).  The client version for Mac did not change when RU6a (11.0.6005) was released.  With the release of RU6 MP1, the Mac client version is now 11.0.6100.

- This has no effect on the Windows clients.

- Mac and Windows clients can be in the same group.  The only thing you will want to take into consideration is that the Mac clients need to have a LiveUpdate schedule to get updates from a LiveUpdate server.  They will NOT get updates from the SEPM.

I wrote this document--I hope it helps.

Title: 'Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh Frequently Asked Questions (SEP for Mac FAQ)'
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2010062409301948

sandra

Aug 24, 2010 06:49 AM

I mean to say that on MAC computers SEP 11.0.6005.652 or higher(SEP RU6A or higher) can be installed. Lower version cannot be installeed.

After the upgrade, existing Windows Clients will communicate without any issue.

Aug 24, 2010 06:41 AM

Yes MAC and Windows Client can be displayed in the same Group. Check the Screenshot, where "Deployment Test" is a Group.

Aug 24, 2010 05:10 AM

Hi mssym,

Yes,  I think  you can have mac  clients and windows client in same group.

Aug 24, 2010 05:09 AM

Hi supportsib2,

I think, what  Mudit wants to say is that, only sep 11.0.6005.652 or higher could be installed  on Mac .

So you cannot  install RU6a or lower version on Mac computers.

The  existing windows clients would  communicate as  usual with SEPM..does not matter  what  their version is...

Aug 24, 2010 04:52 AM

Dear Mudit

The statement below is from your last post .

"SEP 11.0.6005.652 or higher(SEP RU6A or higher) can only be installed on MAC as a Managed or Self Managed Client."  .Does it mean if  upgrade from SEP RU5  to SEP RU6A
existing windows clients do not  contact the SEPM Server ,

Aug 23, 2010 08:02 PM

Can MAC clients stay in the same group with Winnodws clients?

Aug 23, 2010 07:30 AM

SEP 11.0.6005.652 or higher(SEP RU6A or higher) can be installed on MAC as a Managed or Self Managed Client.

Yes you can upgrade to SEP RU6A(SEP 11.0.6005.652) from SEP RU5 (SEP 11.0.5002.333).

If it will be a managed Package of SEP for MAC you need to upgrade the SEPM to RU6A.

Aug 23, 2010 05:50 AM

scm.server.version = 11.0.5002.333

1) Do i Need to upgrade the The current scm.server.version = 11.0.5002.333  to create sep package for Mac client( os x  version 10.6.2,intel)

2) Can i upgrade 11.0.5002.333 SEPM  directly to RU6A(11.0.6005.562)

3) if i dont need a managed client  , which version of symantec antivirus i can install in the
MacRequired client install package  for  mac client ( os x  version 10.6.2,intel)

Thank You

Jul 28, 2010 06:36 AM

Please upgrade the version of SEPM to RU6A(11.0.6005.562), this is the latest version and MAC package is available only in this version as of now.

It is that MAC Packages are only available in RU6 or higher.

Jul 28, 2010 04:34 AM

Hi Mudit...thanks for this helpful video.. I just didnt understood what you were saying in the part, where you show the different installer packages....you say something like "mac packages are only available in ......!!??". I'm working for the university of basel computer center and I have to make some Mac installer packages..but in my SEPM I see just Windows installer packages..I'm working with version 11.0.4202.75... (is there a way to update this version??where can I get the right SEPM???)
Thanks for your answer
Kind regards,Gabriel

Jul 23, 2010 03:04 PM

Believe me, this has been a point of concern for we here in Support.  We know there are plenty of Mac-only houses out there because we talk to them very often.  I believe that SAV for Mac was the only AV solution that offered a Mac-based management console for AV.

I honestly have not heard whether or not there are plans for a Mac-based SEPM.  I would strongly recommend that you search through and/or create an Idea here on the Connect site to suggest that very thing.

Thanks,
sandra

Jul 23, 2010 02:16 PM

I have been using the Administration Console that was based on my Mac OS Server for several years on my Macintosh network.  I am not at all pleased that I can no longer manage my Mac Network remotely without having to install a Management Console on a **** Windows Server.  What happened. Not enough market share? 

I don't have a Windows machine in use much less a server and I am certainly not going to invest in one just to manage my Symantec Endpoint.  

I would encourage the development of a Management Console that works on the Macintosh Server, like the one you had previously. I see this as a huge step backward in the protection of my network as I will either have to manage each machine manually through Desktop Manager or find another product.

Are their any plans on this? 

Jul 22, 2010 09:33 AM

Very help ful video

Jul 22, 2010 09:23 AM

Jul 22, 2010 02:45 AM

Good video. Hope to see more of these coming from you!!!

Aniket

Jul 20, 2010 04:56 AM

a very good demo

Jul 17, 2010 04:02 AM

6[

Jul 16, 2010 10:07 PM

Thank you for putting together this video--I'm sure it will be very helpful to users that are new to SEP to Mac to have a walk-though on how to build the package then install it.

I wanted to mention the following:
  • While LiveUpdate is the only way Macs can get content updates, it does not need to be over the internet via the Symantec servers.  An internal LiveUpdate server can also host content for the Mac on a Windows computer via LUA.
  • The Antivirus and Antispyware policy is not the only policy that a Mac can use.  LiveUpdate and Centralized Exception policies can also apply.
  • There is a brief mention of installing to OS X Server.  In my experience the installation to a server poses no issues, but we do have a Best Practices document with regards to servers.
  • It's important to note that the install zip files should only be expanded on the Mac with the built in Archive Utility (by double-clicking on it, in most cases).  Expanding it with other utilities or on a Windows computer will result in the permissions possibly being incorrect, and you will experience issues in installation.
There's also the SEP for Mac FAQ which covers other topics.

One small final note: when referring to Macintosh, you'll want to use Mac, not MAC.  MAC means Media Access Control  smiley

Thanks again!
sandra

Jul 09, 2010 04:16 PM

Hey Mudit,

That was a good contribution.

Hope there would be many such contributions from you in future.

Santosh

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.