Endpoint Protection

View Only

SEP 12.1 RU2 and Reset Client Communication 

Nov 20, 2012 03:48 AM

Hi,

Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager connects to the client with a communications file called Sylink.xml. The Sylink.xml file includes the communication settings such as the IP address of the management server and the heartbeat interval. After you install a client installation package on to the client computers, the client and the server automatically communicate.

Normally you do not need to replace the Sylink.xml file. However, you may need to replace the existing Sylink.xml file on the client computer in the various situations:

Restoring client-server communications by using a client installation package

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO80762

We will make 2 unmanaged clients to managed clients with the help of this new features

You can see there are two clients under default group as an offline.

Now go to commons tasks & Select install protection clients to computers.

Select the last option 'Communication Update Package Deployment'.

Select the group.

Select the policy mode.

If you have set the password on clients to stop and start smc service then you can set the password here.

Select Remote Push

Now in this case we will manually search both the affected clients, but you can search using 'Browse Network' OR Providng Network Range.

After successful selection you can start sending new communication file by clickin on "Send"

Now you will see two status:

1) Deployment Status

2) Communication Update Status

These two tabs provide more accurate information with deailed summary.

In this case 2 succeeded, 0 failed.

Click on 'Finish' to complete this process

Now we can verify both the affected clients are online and reporting to the SEPM

Benefits:

No need to send entire package to restore communication with Manager.

No more dependency on Sylink replacer/Sylink drop tool.

Easy to use.

Save more bandwidth.

I hope this demonstration is helpful.

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Aug 02, 2018 07:20 AM

Hello Chetan,

Devices are in offline and pingable , when we pushed a communcation package Deplyement is successful and communication status is failed .Kindly let us know is this communcation happened between SEPM and client or not . And Still devices are visibling offline only .Kindly help me to rectify this .And we are using Version 14.2 BUILD 758.

Jun 11, 2018 03:44 AM

we are facing issue with SEP client.. we have some server where SEP client installed..

while scanning SEP client goes automaticly offline mode. after restarting server SEP client shows online mode.

Feb 25, 2015 03:48 AM

Hello,

I would like to ask about symantec error.

When we deploy symantec pattern file from Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager, some Group are update but some group are sometime in offline and sometime in online.After 1 day, These error are disappear and these group are update and online.

That is what happen ?

I want to know this error ?

Please help me.

Thank you,

Sep 02, 2013 07:39 AM

Hello,

What's your SEPM version?

This feature has been added from SEP 12.1 RU2 (12.1.2015.2015) onwards.

SEP release details are available here:

http://bit.ly/m0vOJp

Aug 30, 2013 03:25 PM

I do not have the 3rd option for Communication Update Package,  What am i missing?

Apr 15, 2013 07:59 AM

Thanks Gurupreet !!!

Apr 15, 2013 05:14 AM

Good Article Chetan...

Mar 20, 2013 05:35 AM

Thnaks Chetan for sharing your nice  article,

Mar 20, 2013 02:00 AM

@saultie86

Hi,

Remote deployement is successfull however communication has failed.

Does communication starts after manual deployement on 2-3 machines?

Mar 20, 2013 01:54 AM

Hello Chetan,

Thumbs uppppppppppppp. for this useful article.

Mar 20, 2013 01:17 AM

Its a good idea, however it hasnt worked well for me so far.

It says

"deployment status = Successful" (so it has pushed the communication file to the client OK), but then it says "Communication Update = Failed". So it hasnt worked.

Is there a log file where i can check for more detailed information as to why it may have failed?

Also, when adding clients it first goes through and checks that it can login to each computer with the provided credentials. If i have 200 computers, it will need to go and check each workstation 1 by 1, and if the login doesnt work on that workstation if comes up with an error. i need to cancel out of that error for it to proceed. There is no "ignore all" button so i have to sit there for an hour and watch it otherwise it will not continue on its own. Good work Syamantec!

Feb 20, 2013 08:37 AM

It's a pity but ok,

Thank you again.

Feb 20, 2013 08:23 AM

Hi,

Unfortunately this is not automated process. It would display all the clients whether it's offline or online.

It should not take much time even though you have 200 clients because with single click it should add client to deployment list. But yes if many clients are offline then you will have to click on cancel each time to proceed further.

Feb 20, 2013 08:19 AM

Hello,

Sorry, I think my english is bad. Let me give a better explanation.

I never interrupt the process myself. When I choose, for example, 200 computers in the "computers selection" Window, I click on the toggle button to add my computers as targets.

During the process of adding, if one of those computers are shutdown, I have a message that SEPM can't connect to this computer, block the process, and ask me to enter an Administrator account and password.

If I decide to skip this computer by cancelling the connection, the process resumes.

But it takes very long time to pass through all the computers (because I have much more than 200 computers) and I must stay to see if the process isn't behind, so I would like to know if it was possible to automate the skipping of the computer when the connection fail.

Feb 20, 2013 06:43 AM

Hi,

I would suggest don't interrupt the process.

Feb 20, 2013 06:21 AM

hello,

I use a file based on my Active Directory to have a listing of all my computers, and there is allways a part of them shutdown, so the connexion fail during the computer selection it's right, but the process is interrupted until I click on OK on the error window and cancel the connexion to this computer, is there a way to ignore the failed connexions and don't interrupt the process ?

But it's a very good article.

Feb 12, 2013 06:01 AM

Very good info. Thanks for haring

Jan 29, 2013 06:44 AM

Hi,
Helpful artical,thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Zafar

Dec 31, 2012 06:46 AM

Hi xChiko,

I believe pre-requisites will be the same.

Steps to prepare computers to install Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 client

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163112

How to prepare computers for remote deployment

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO16365

Preparing Windows operating systems for remote deployment

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO81300

Dec 31, 2012 05:26 AM

Hi

Thanks to show the detailed steps

Regards

Dec 27, 2012 03:00 AM

Hi,

Does this feature works even the File and Printer Sharing is disabled?

Or what are the requirements or needed to be enable first before perform it.

Like port or permission.

Thanks

Dec 27, 2012 02:58 AM

Hi,

Does this feature works even the File and Printer Sharing is disabled?

Or what are the requirements or needed to be enable first before perform it.

Thanks.

Nov 26, 2012 12:39 AM

Thanks Sir,

it was very helpful...

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.