Patch Management Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Reporting on a Policy and Pushing a secure/encrypted password

Posted Oct 25, 2021 07:08 PM

Hello,

I know this might not be the right category but I don't know how to change the Post to Community. I have to questions, see below:

1) I created a task to reset a Local Account password on 25 computers. I then created a policy and added the password change task to it so that way if the computer(s) is off it gets the policy and excutes the task when the computers checks in. How do I run a report on this policy to see if it failed on any of my computers?

2) when I use the following PowerShell to reset a user password. How to i sent this password reset securely and not in plain text? I found this command online but it pushes the password in Plain text.

net user "ABC123" Password123

• 2.  RE: Reporting on a Policy and Pushing a secure/encrypted password

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 26, 2021 01:48 AM

Hi Sid9678!

What version of (NS) Symantec Management Platform you have?

1. You mean that you created "Password Management" task and added it for Managed Delivery policy (Or Client task schedule policy?)

For any task execution results, you can check default Task Server reports and identify where appropriate task completed/failed

2) Where exactly you see that password is in plain text? Checked traffic when when task arriving to client and they are communicating via http?

Best regards,
    IP.

------------------------------
    [JobTitle]
    [CompanyName]
    [State]

• 3.  RE: Reporting on a Policy and Pushing a secure/encrypted password

Posted Oct 26, 2021 05:28 PM
    I'm running version 8.5 RU3. 
    I created a password reset task that is running this command: net user "ABC123" Password123
    When I push a command like that to a computer via Altiris is it encrypted or not?

I'm not using the Password Management liek you shows in your screenshot. Is that a built in task?

• 4.  RE: Reporting on a Policy and Pushing a secure/encrypted password

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 27, 2021 02:26 AM

1. When I push a command like that to a computer via Altiris is it encrypted or not?

Yes, this data will be encrypted.

2. If you don't want to show password in UI of script task where you specified net user "ABC123" Password123, then better to install Real-Time System Manager solution using Symantec Installation Manager on your NS, then you will have built-in "Password Management" task and all passwords there will not be in plain text in SMP Console UI

Best regards,
    IP.

[JobTitle]
    [CompanyName]
    [State]

• 5.  RE: Reporting on a Policy and Pushing a secure/encrypted password

Posted Oct 27, 2021 10:02 AM
    thank you for th ePassword Manager, I did not know this was there.

• 6.  RE: Reporting on a Policy and Pushing a secure/encrypted password

Posted Oct 27, 2021 10:01 AM
    Igor,

I went to Reports>All Reports>Task Server>Job/Task Status Detail and I selected my task. There tells me I got 2 successful and 2 failed but under number of Cleitns it shows zero for both successful and failure.

To make sure we understand I created a task to run the following command script: net user "ABC123" Password123
    I then created a policy and i added the task above to this policy and then applied it to my Targets. 
    I would like to know if this policy ran and be able to see if it had any failures whcih computers or users it failed on.

• 7.  RE: Reporting on a Policy and Pushing a secure/encrypted password

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 28, 2021 12:12 AM

Well, try then to use a "Client Task Schedule" policy. When task will be executed on clients, then in this policy switch 'view' to 'Task Runs', then you will see all completed/failed instances per appropriate client computer. Double click on failed record and you will see a reason why it is failed.

As example

Make sure that you script task is set to run under local system account and 'Save script output with task status' checkbox is checked to get detailed task execution information.

Best regards,
    IP.

[JobTitle]
    [CompanyName]
    [State]