Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  6.9sp3 win2k8 r2 configure computer adding static routes, breaking all other jobs

Posted Mar 05, 2010 04:16 PM
    I am tring to capture and deploy windows 2008 r2 X64 enterprise on rdp 6.01/6.9 sp3. My client systems are multi-homed and have two nics, one configured for deployment and one for access by users. When I push a client to the machine, it sets a static route in the client record on the deployment server. All  configure jobs then fail with incorrect function (see article 24403 - very much the same conditions). When I look at the dagent log on the client there is an error setting the static route. If I remove the route from the client, all deployment jobs work fine, however I no longer have access to the user network as the gateway is no longer set. This does not happen with win2k3 installs and I have been getting this on both 6.9sp1 and 6.9sp3. Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

sample network config.
    nic1  -10.99.105.10, 255.0.0.0
    nic2 - 192.168.105.10, 255.255.255.0. gw -192.168.105.1

Dagent error -
    [03/04/2010 22:14:23.160 1384 0] internal/Configure.cpp:741 Configure::HandleMessage(): caught win32 error
     SetStaticRouteWmi.cpp:140 - Failed to add static route
     Value=5, SystemError=0x00000001

• 2.  RE: 6.9sp3 win2k8 r2 configure computer adding static routes, breaking all other jobs

Posted May 27, 2010 12:40 PM

I'm not sure if you figured this out already or not -- but I was having a similar problem with the agent failing on not being able to add a static route.

If you're not intentionally adding a static route (like I wasn't) in the configuration job, check the following:
    Modify Configuration -> TCP/IP -> Advanced -> Static Routes

And make sure nothing is there.  Mine had some random route in there.  Once I got rid of it, my errors went away.

• 3.  RE: 6.9sp3 win2k8 r2 configure computer adding static routes, breaking all other jobs

Posted Aug 10, 2010 10:17 AM
    After deploying a Windows 7 image to exsisting computers in DS a static route is added under the advanced TCP/IP configuration. This is causing the post configuration to fail when trying to re-image a computer.
    How do I remove this static route? Or prevent post configuration from failing?

• 4.  RE: 6.9sp3 win2k8 r2 configure computer adding static routes, breaking all other jobs

Posted Sep 17, 2010 06:38 AM

Does anyone have an answer to this?  Seems like a bad bug in Altiris.  I have this problem in 6.9sp4 and nothing will work around it.

• 5.  RE: 6.9sp3 win2k8 r2 configure computer adding static routes, breaking all other jobs

Posted Sep 22, 2010 01:05 PM

I have this working for me now, but I am not sure what the exact fix was.  I was seeing a bad OU name and invalid static route being applied in the modify config task.

In my opinion, this is related to bugs with Windows 7/2008/Vista when Altiris is doing commands to backup/restore IP configuration settings. (By the way, I wish there was more visibility on the commands being run by Altiris).

To fix this you should...

1. Make sure all of the IP and DNS settings are good on the target machine before you do anything else!

2.  If you have an Altiris job that does the modify configuration, clear all the job history by deleting the failed operations from the Altiris console.  Then ensure your jobs only apply good settings.  I have made sure we specify only domain-specific settings in the modify config job, and made sure we DON'T specify anything that is 'generic' to the environment, such as default gateway.  This seems to work.

3. On your target machines and master images, remove all invalid entries from these reg keys:
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\PersistentRoutes
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DNSRegisteredAdapters

Also make sure you have valid settings for these registry values:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\<GUID>\
    DefaultGateway = <default gateway IP>
    DefaultGatewayMetric = 1
    For permanent fix on those last 2 entries you will need hotfixes from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973243/

4.  Recommend obtaining and installing these hotfixes:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979101/
    This is for another bug with 'netsh' command in Vista etc, but it may not be giving you any problems.  The hotfixes didn't make any difference to the config failure.

5.  Ensure you are on Altiris DS6.9 SP4 with agents version 453.

6.  If you have worked through all of the above settings you should find that your modify config task will work properly on Win 2008 etc.

This is what worked for me.  Hope it helps someone.

Mike R.