Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Anti-virus solution for Windows Server 2012

Posted Feb 09, 2015 12:50 AM

We have deployed a single Windows 2012 server in the Amazon EC2 cloud. We need anti-virus and Intrusion Detection/Prevention installed on the server for obvious reasons. The server is a web+application+database server running IIS with ASP.Net code and SQL Sever Standard edition. Due to budget constraints, we will be using a single server for now, but may expand in future depending upon business growth.

While researching available options, we found that the Endpoint Protection product provided by symantec would serve our purpose. We are running into a few issues understanding the deployment configuration for this product and would really appreciate help from the forum members. I have tried researching the support documentation and other forum posts to get answers to my questions, but all of them address a multi-server configuration with a manager and multiple clients. I would really appreciate answers for the single-server scenario.

1. Is Endpoint Protection the correct product for anti-virus and intrusion detection on a Windows Server from the symantec suite?
    2. I downloaded and installed a trial version on the single server, but it let me install only the manager piece. The link to install the anti-virus etc is always disabled. How do I install the anti-virus and other client pieces on the same server? Do I just create a client deployment and install it on the same server as the manager. Basically I need to know how to protect the manager hardware from viruses and intrustion attempts.
    3. EP_Install_Screen.png

• 2.  RE: Anti-virus solution for Windows Server 2012

Posted Feb 09, 2015 11:47 AM

In trial version unmanaged client are not available.

see same issue thread

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/cant-install-unmanaged-client

• 3.  RE: Anti-virus solution for Windows Server 2012
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 09, 2015 11:49 AM

You need to install the SEPM and push clients from it

• 4.  RE: Anti-virus solution for Windows Server 2012

Posted Feb 10, 2015 01:32 AM

Thank you! I created a client package. Could not push it to the same server (had a login failure which I could not figure out). Then I created a client package and just saved it to disk and installed from it. After the reboot, the client connected with the manager. I have what I needed. Thanks a lot for all your help!

• 5.  RE: Anti-virus solution for Windows Server 2012

Posted Feb 10, 2015 01:33 AM

Thanks James007!

• 6.  RE: Anti-virus solution for Windows Server 2012

Posted Feb 10, 2015 07:53 AM

Welcome ;)