Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Stuck on SEPM upgrade because of database upgrade

Posted Apr 23, 2021 06:51 AM
    This is an upgrade to ver 14.3 RU1 MP1.  I'm on a version before that, before the SQL Server Express upgrade.

This server for SEPM is set up with the OS on one drive, the database on another drive.  There is over 30GB of free space on the other drive where the database is.  There is less then 22GB on the OS drive.

When I get to the point where the installer would start upgrading the database I get this message.

"Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager
    The upgrade wizard cannot upgrade your embedded database to a Microsoft SQL Server Express database.  Either the destination drive does not have enough available disk space, or the certificate is expired or will expire within 10 days.  Make sure the there is at least 22.93GB of free disk space and that the certificate is current to continue."

How do I get that to continue the upgrade and have the database on the other drive?  I'm not seeing a way to point it at another drive in the installer options.  Is there one?  Or do I expand the OS drive out, get the upgrade to happen with the database on the OS partition, and then reconfigure it later and move the SQL Server Express database to the other data drive?

------------------------------
    rmo

• 2.  RE: Stuck on SEPM upgrade because of database upgrade

Posted Apr 23, 2021 11:19 AM
    100GB added to C and 100GB added to the data drive.  Now it's doing the upgrade.  Anyone know why C needs extra space?  Is it needing that space to do something with the database type upgrade, even though the database lives on the other data hard drive?

rmo

• 3.  RE: Stuck on SEPM upgrade because of database upgrade

Posted Apr 23, 2021 02:01 PM
    Stuck again.  The SEPM software upgraded, but it lost the database.  Any tricks to getting the database to convert?  I'm on the pre-SQL Server Express set up, moving to ver 14.3 RU1 MP1 which includes that database upgrade.  I do have the error log, but I remember seeing posts about failed database upgrades with a previous SEPM upgrade, which I didn't do then.

The server with my SEPM install on it has all Windows OS updates done.  The OS and data drives were expanded by 100GB on each, so there's plenty of space.  I haven't looked at the database upgrade failed logs.  It was installing SQL Server Express 2017 I saw and then reported errors.

rmo

• 4.  RE: Stuck on SEPM upgrade because of database upgrade

Posted Apr 26, 2021 12:02 PM
    Repeated the same process.  Still fails.

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/symantec-security-software/endpoint-security-and-management/endpoint-protection/all/troubleshooting-v58233805-d77e6/troubleshooting-communication-problems-between-and-v13587556-d77e284/verifying-the-connection-with-the-database-v13491585-d15e735.html
    I don't see any SymantecEndpointSecurityDSN in that section in the ODBC Data Source Administrators box.

I think it's the certificate.  I haven't done anything with certificates.  So this server needed more disk space, at least on C:.  But probably also needs a certificate in place for this.  I do have the error logs from both upgrade attempts.  Still looking at those.

rmo

• 5.  RE: Stuck on SEPM upgrade because of database upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 26, 2021 12:04 PM
    Have you opened a case for this as of yet?

John Owens
    Strategic Support Engineer | Symantec Enterprise Division (SED)
    Symantec
    United States

• 6.  RE: Stuck on SEPM upgrade because of database upgrade

Posted Apr 26, 2021 12:06 PM
    No.  I was hoping someone would have an answer on here, either a reply on this thread, or I'll find another thread.  I remember seeing posts about failed database upgrades when other people upgraded their SEPM last year.

I'm looking at this.... A permanent certificate looks interesting if it's one set up and I'm done forever after that.
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/symantec-security-software/endpoint-security-and-management/endpoint-protection/all/upgrading-to-a-new-release-v14510472-d27e6/Configuring-encryption-communication-between-SEPM-and-SQL-Server.html

rmo

• 7.  RE: Stuck on SEPM upgrade because of database upgrade

Posted Oct 01, 2021 03:25 AM
    Is that issue fixed ?
    what was the solution ?
    adding more disk space or generating a new certificate?