Can anyone provide a status regarding support for Mac OS X "Mountain Lion" with Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1? I was unable to find anything definitive by searching the web.
I do know that the latest available release, SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1, did not have an updated Mac client, so perhaps a new Mac client is in development to support Mountain Lion.
Any advice would be appreciated - thanks!
Check this Article:
Support for Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) with Symantec Endpoint Protection for Mac
it states -
Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) is supported with Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.7 MP1 and later for the SEP 11.0.x product family and Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 RU1 and later for the SEP 12.1.x product family.
To download the appropriate current version of Symantec Endpoint Protection with Mac OS X 10.7 support, please visit our FileConnect web site at: https://fileconnect.symantec.com
Thanks Mithun, but I meant the OS X release coming later this month *after* Lion 10.7 called Mountain Lion, which should be versioned at 10.8.
Oh!!! I apologize.
I believe SEP 12.1 RU2 supports "Mountain Lion".
SEP 12.1 RU2 is still under Beta Testing.
Secondly, incase you are interested in Beta Testing for SEP 12.1 RU2, check this :
Hope that helps!!
The latest release of SEP was made public before 10.8, so at present there is no supported Symantec product that has been fully tested on it and confirmed/certfiied to be Mountain Lion compatable.
Here's a little more about OS X 10.8, for any Mac fans out there: http://www.apple.com/osx/
Yes, there will be Mountain Lion (10.8) support in 12.1.2.
Thank you Sandra - that was the definitive answer I was looking to hear. Much appreciated!
Sandra, thanks for letting us know that 12.1.2 will offer support for Mac OS X 10.8 (Mt. Lion). Is there any estimate on when this version will be available? At Susquehanna University, we already have students contacting us asking if they can upgrade to Mt Lion. Since we require SEP to use our network and our NAC enforces that, we need to have something to tell them about when we can permit Mt. Lion on our network (aka, when our A/V provider will support it).
Many thanks for whatever information you can provide.
Office of Information Technology
Chances are the next official, supported release of SEP will be a few months away. "This fall" is the bet estimate that can be given. Everyting must be carefull QA'ed and won't be released until it has passed every test.
Wish I could be more precise, but that is the best info available now.
Thanks for giving us a timetable to plan by. I am sure this is going to create some issues with supporting our students, as any mac shipped after today will have Mt. Lion. Not to attack you, but if you could pass along the word, our organization has been a bit dissapointed with Symantec's long delays in getting new/compatible SEP updates for new operating systems (both Windows and Mac) over the past few years. Many other software vendors we deal with are Apple/Microsoft developer partners and develop their software throughout the beta stages of these new OS's, so that when the retail release arrives, they have a compatible product to offer. We only wish Symantec was working at the same speed (Two of Symantec's biggest competitors have already released Mt. Lion compatible updates for their Enterprise A/V products, but by sticking with Symantec we have to wait a few months). In the past we've even seen your consumer Norton products updated for new OS's before the SEP product. Again, I really appreciate your quick response, this gives us the information we need to plan appropriately. However, please pass along the frustrations expressed by my instution. Symantec has offered us a rock solid and reliable A/V product with world-class protection and excellent customer support for well over a decade, however these long delays in moving our instution forward with OS upgrades due to a lagging Symantec product is honestly enough to persuade us to look at other products (products where such delays are minimal or non-existant).
All feedback is welcome. &: )
its not so funny as you think. New Macs comes now with 10.8. So we don't by new macs until symantec update this software?
I agree with Brady. You are too slow.
I would like to echo the frustration expressed by Brady and others. Here at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, well over half of our installed base runs on the Mac. Our researchers tend to purchase the latest and greatest, but are concerned by a lack of compatiblity of our A/V and encryption products (we also run PGP WDE). Apple does have a well established developer program, and it is stunning to me that a large corporation like Symantec doesn't have someone working on the next release the day that the developer version of the OS is available.
We are actively looking at other vendors for our encryption and A/V products because we just can't wait months to protect our machines.
I do agree with the other writers that "a few months away" is longer than customers should wait for RU2 for the Mac. Our University President just visited Apple and decided to start using a MBP and MB Air with Mountain Lion (Apple showed him the cool features).
Although this made me leery, I had no choice but to install the SEP Mac 12.1.2 Beta on it. This may be an option for others as well. It seems to be working fine.
We are targeting the SEP 12.1.2 release to come out in the October timeframe this year. We realize that this is not ideal. This was the soonest release we had scheduled after Mountain Lion was released.
However we have a beta release of SEP 12.1.2 that customers or partners can sign up for to test both Mountain Lion support and Windows 8 support. If you contact me offline I would be happy to get you the information to sign up for this beta.
Note: future release dates, timeframes and features are subject to change based on customer feedback and quality of the product.