Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Does deleting computers in SEP SBE Cloud work?

Posted Jul 21, 2020 04:56 PM
    Hi,

Does deleting computers in SEP SBE Cloud really work for uninstalling the SBE SEP Cloud client? I tried removing 2 workstations by deleting the agent and it left the old application on the workstation. Then when I installed the SES client, it didn't remove the old client either.

Ideally, the SES installation would totally remove any previous antivirus software the way that SBE SEP did pretty reliably.

I'm going to try deleting another workstation from SEP cloud manager to confirm whether this is going to be practical or not. Then install SES with 'remove previously symantec' selected, which I think I did before.

We have a lot of workstations. I was going to use lansweeper to uninstall the old software en masse but the instructions I found for remote uninstalls don't appear too user friendly. From what I read, you have to find a specific entry in the registry and then use that to uninstall. It sounds like the registry entry is individual to the workstations.

I'm wondering if anyone is successfully remote uninstalling the old SBE SEP cloud application or if they got the new SES cloud application to do the uninstall while it installs itself.

Thanks in advance for any insight or experiences. I hope I explained this clearly

------------------------------
    peace.
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Does deleting computers in SEP SBE Cloud work?

Posted Jul 21, 2020 05:20 PM

When you install the old via the cloud it can only remove the AV service and not the SEP agent as that was used to install AV service or other Symantec services remotely.  You can only do a full uninstall at each PC.

The new SES does not have any ability to remove (rip and replace) the old SEP.  Broaddcm was unable to create such a routine and that is why the initial rollout to old SEP cusomters was delayed as they hoped they could and gave up trying.  This was information I was provided by the Symantec / Broadcom USA based executives I was in contact with during the spring of 2020.

And most likely for 2 reason.  The old SEP uses a rebranded Norton engine and the new SEP uses the Symantec engine and are competing products.  And when just the AV is removed it leaves the cloud agent installed as that isn't part of the AV so the new SEP still thinks there is a competing product still installed based upon the presence of the cloud agent.

Mark

• 3.  RE: Does deleting computers in SEP SBE Cloud work?

Posted Jul 22, 2020 08:44 AM
    Thank you. That's a clear explanation. Now I can draw up a specific plan.

• 4.  RE: Does deleting computers in SEP SBE Cloud work?

Posted Oct 09, 2020 11:24 AM
    Edited by Robot Fog Oct 09, 2020 11:26 AM
    Just a note. It may be too late for some people though.

If you remove the workstations from the SEP cloud manager and reboot the computers, most of the time, it comes up clean enough for SES to install and you can delete the Symantec.cloud program files folder. I don't know if timing matters but I was remotely rebooting the systems between 2 and 5 minutes after deleting them from the cloud manager