Migration UserOct 05, 2010 04:18 AM

Migration User

Migration UserNov 19, 2010 10:52 AM

Migration User

Migration UserFeb 01, 2011 02:11 AM

• 1.  Cannot copy files using SMB 2.0 protocol with SEP 11 ru6 and ru6a

Posted Jul 12, 2010 11:04 AM
    Hello,

I have a number of Windows 7, Vista and XP workstations that are installed with SEP 11 ru6 and ru6a.  I also have a Windows 2008 file server that is also installed with SEP 11 ru6a.

Users who are using the Windows 7 and Vista workstations are unable to copy files from the workstation to the Windows 2008 file server, the file copy process hangs with either no files being copied or only a few files and then the rest do not complete.  But users on Windows XP can copy the same files to the file server no problem.  I also notice that users on Windows 7 and Vista can copy to a Windows 2003 file server without problems.

From the experimentation I have done, I have found that if the process smc.exe (Symantec Management Client) is terminated, then the copy from Windows 7 and Vista to Windows 2008 works correctly without problems.  When I delved into this problem a bit deeper, I found that if I disable the SMB 2.0 support on the Windows 2008 file server, users on Windows 7 and Vista can copy files correctly without problems, but they can't with SMB 2.0 enabled.

Windows Vista, 7 and 2008 by default use the SMB 2.0 protocol for file share, but Windows XP and 2003 use SMB 1.0.  Forcing all clients to use SMB 1.0 fixes the problem, so there looks to be an issue with SMB 2.0 support in SEP.  I tried downgrading the version of SEP to SEP 11 ru5, but there is a problem with this version and "Offline" files used by Enterprise Vault and many other archiving programmes (SEP 11 ru5 causes an archive recall failure), again, using the SMB 2.0 protocol, but turning off SMB 2.0 fixes this.

This problem seems to be present in SEP 11 ru5, ru6 and ru6a, I have not tried earlier versions.

Is Symantec aware that there is a problem with the SMB 2.0 support in SEP and what is the ETA on fixing this?

Many thanks.

Richard.

• 2.  RE: Cannot copy files using SMB 2.0 protocol with SEP 11 ru6 and ru6a

Posted Jul 12, 2010 04:35 PM
    It seems like other users (including me) have reported similar problems with RU6a and NTP.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/copy-over-network-freeze-when-copying-large-files

The file copy proces freezes/stalls (the file copy window is still "responding" but no data transfer occurs) when you try to copy files from a Windows Vista or 7 PC (32bit or 64bit) running RU6a and NTP component to a Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 machine. The problem occurs on the source machine because the file copy process also stalls when there is no SEP installed on the target machine. The problem does not occur when the NTP component is not installed.

• 3.  RE: Cannot copy files using SMB 2.0 protocol with SEP 11 ru6 and ru6a

Posted Jul 13, 2010 04:56 AM
    Many thanks.

From the reasearch I did, it does appear that many other people are experiencing the same problem, there are several threads about this on this forum.  I did try disabling NTP but that didn't make any difference.  I will uninstall SEP and re-install it without NTP on all my Windows 7 clients and see what happens.

• 4.  RE: Cannot copy files using SMB 2.0 protocol with SEP 11 ru6 and ru6a

Posted Jul 13, 2010 10:05 AM
    I deployed a new package to my client PCs without NTP and don't have any issues anymore on my Windows Vista and 7 clients so there is definately a problem with RU6a, NTP and SMB2.0. Don't want to downgrade to RU5 so temporarely uninstalling NTP until they fix this seems like the only workaround right now.

• 5.  RE: Cannot copy files using SMB 2.0 protocol with SEP 11 ru6 and ru6a

Posted Jul 14, 2010 04:47 AM
    I have uninstalled NTP on all of the Windows Vista, 2008 and 7 clients, the file copy now works correctly.  So I concur, there is a problem with NTP in ru6a when used with SMB 2.0

Disabling NTP doesn't work, it must be uninstalled.

How was this not caught in the QA labs? 

• 6.  RE: Cannot copy files using SMB 2.0 protocol with SEP 11 ru6 and ru6a

Posted Jul 20, 2010 05:58 AM
    Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing the same issue here. What I have found out so far:

There is a special kind of files involved everytime it hangs. I suspect packed *.exe Files to be a problem. Like the dotnetfx35.exe Installer package wich I tried to move between my client and a server cannot be copied and freezes the transfer. Other files, like a 4GB image of a DVD work fine.

To finish the transfer I go to task manager, kill the smc.exe prozess (it comes back up) but the transfer proceeds fine then.

Any further information if this will be fixed? Thinking about rolling back to ru5... Why is there a problem every time I update my clients? I'm having a hard time telling people why we still rely on this Symantec product.

Cheers,
    Chris