Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEPM Servers Migration

Posted Aug 11, 2020 08:39 AM
    Hello All, we have 2 SEPMs running 14.2 with an off-box SQL database and these SEPMs are configured in load balancing fashion with same priority. These SEPMs are running on Server 2008. There are total 37,000 SEP agents which are reporting to these 2 SEPMs. Now we need two upgrade the OS of these SEPMs from 2008 to 2016.

1) The infrastructure team will prepare two new 2016 servers for us with the same IP and host-name which the existing servers are having and we need to migrate everything over to these 2 new servers.

Can anyone tell me what would be the best and safest approach to move everything from 2008 and 2016 with the minimal risk as we have 37,000 agents and we dont want to run into any issues or problems. 

Your feedback and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

------------------------------
    Symantec Enthusiast

• 2.  RE: SEPM Servers Migration

Posted Aug 11, 2020 09:00 AM
    for me the easiest way is if you just install the same SEPM version on the new servers and during the installation select "Additional server to existing site" so all 4 servers will be in load-balancing and you don't need to use the same hostname and IP addresses for the new servers. Just leave all 4 servers working together for 1 month (so that all clients get the new Management Server List with the new servers) and after 1 month shut down the old servers. And make sure you use new installation package for clients which contain the new servers

• 3.  RE: SEPM Servers Migration

Posted Aug 11, 2020 09:13 AM
    Hi Stefan. This is what I proposed to the customer, but the thing is they have 37,000 agents distributed globally in dozens of remote sites also they have multiple firewalls and other security devices where they are allowing the communication, so using new IPs and allowing the communication will be difficult as the network is complicated.

Therefore they would like to use the same IPs on new servers and prefer to restore the backup and connect to the same SQL server.

What options do I have in this scenario?

Thanks

Symantec Enthusiast

• 4.  RE: SEPM Servers Migration

Posted Aug 13, 2020 04:30 AM
    Can anyone please reply to this?

Symantec Enthusiast