Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  How to hidden agent diagnostics in Symantec Management Agent?

Posted Jun 20, 2011 01:58 AM

Hi, I want to hidden agent diagnostics in Symantec Management Agent. How to hidden it I don't want user view this, and Can I do it from NS server policy, agent setting etc.

Regards,

Nop

• 2.  RE: How to hidden agent diagnostics in Symantec Management Agent?

Posted Jun 20, 2011 03:16 AM

It is impossible to totally hide files from users who know what they are doing. The two things you can do are:

1. Apply the "hidden" attribute to the files in question (this will hide them unless the Explorer option "show hidden files" is enabled)

2. Remove ALL user permissions to the files in question. Ultimately, the users may be able to see them but will not be able to do anything with them.

I'm going to assume that you already know how to set attributes and permissions.

• 3.  RE: How to hidden agent diagnostics in Symantec Management Agent?

Posted Jun 20, 2011 03:25 AM

Hi EdT,thank for your answer. I'm ok if user can access files but don't want it to show on Symantec Management Agent Menu when right click on tray icon.

• 4.  RE: How to hidden agent diagnostics in Symantec Management Agent?

Posted Jun 20, 2011 10:58 AM

Hello,

You should run through CMD with administrator rights on all clients: "C:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\AeXNSAgent.exe" /nodiags

Regards,

Dmitri

• 5.  RE: How to hidden agent diagnostics in Symantec Management Agent?
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 22, 2011 12:24 PM

Since you have the agent on your computers...

• Open the management console
    • Go to Manage>Jobs and Tasks
    • Right click on Jobs and Tasks and select New>Task
    • Select the task type of Run Script.
    • Rename the script "Hide SMA Diagnostics".
    • For the script type, select "Command Script"
    • In the script text enter:

regsvr32 -u "C:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\AexAgentDiagnostics.dll"

• Click OK to save the task.

This script will unregister the DLL that shows the additional diagnostics menu items in the system tray icon. It also assumes you have the agent installed in the default location. 

From this point you can choose how you deliver this task. You could send it out machine-by-machine. You could attach it to a policy (preferred). Or you could even run this as a scheduled task. 

I would go the route of running a policy. That way if you need to run the diagnostics you wont have to remember to turn it back off. The policy will correct it as long as it is required to check for compliance more than once. 

If this solves your problem, please click "Solved" to this post.