Data Loss Prevention

View Only
  • 1.  Sample Syslog format of symantec DLP

Posted Mar 12, 2014 02:23 AM

Hi Friends

I am  looking for a sample syslog / its format  to integrate wth a SIEM product which is generated from Symantec DLP 

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Sample Syslog format of symantec DLP

Posted Mar 12, 2014 08:13 AM

hei Guys

Please reply

• 3.  RE: Sample Syslog format of symantec DLP
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 13, 2014 02:26 AM

Hello,

If you want to send Symantec DLP incidents to SIEM, you need create an automated response rule. The template of a syslog message format is set in the response rule. The created response rule you need add to the corresponding policies.

I integrated Symantec DLP with ArcSight. The following is the example of the automated response rule for that integration:

Rule Name: Send Alert to ArcSight
    Conditions: <empty>
    Actions:  Log to a Syslog Server
    Host: <address of the arcsight syslog>
    Port: <port number>
    Message: CEF:0|Symantec|DLP|12.0.1|ruleID|$POLICY$|5|BLOCKED=$BLOCKED$ DATAOWNER_NAME=$DATAOWNER_NAME$ DATAOWNER_EMAIL=$DATAOWNER_EMAIL$ ENDPOINT_DEVICE_ID=$ENDPOINT_DEVICE_ID$ ENDPOINT_MACHINE=$ENDPOINT_MACHINE$ PATH=$PATH$ FILE_NAME=$FILE_NAME$ PARENT_PATH=$PARENT_PATH$ INCIDENT_ID=$INCIDENT_ID$ INCIDENT_SNAPSHOT=$INCIDENT_SNAPSHOT$ MATCH_COUNT=$MATCH_COUNT$ RULES=$RULES$ PROTOCOL=$PROTOCOL$ QUARANTINE_PARENT_PATH=$QUARANTINE_PARENT_PATH$ RECIPIENTS=$RECIPIENTS$ SCAN=$SCAN$ SENDER=$SENDER$ SEVERITY=$SEVERITY$ SUBJECT=$SUBJECT$ TARGET=$TARGET$ FNAME=$ATTACHMENT_NAME$
    Level: 4-Warning

---
    Best regards, Artem.

• 4.  RE: Sample Syslog format of symantec DLP

Posted Mar 13, 2014 05:35 AM

Hi Artem

Thanks for your response

This is ok and i found it from its admin guide,but what i want you to clarify is The sample syslog format for creating the rules in SIEM which is generated by the same settings .

Thanks in advance

• 5.  RE: Sample Syslog format of symantec DLP

Posted Mar 13, 2014 05:38 AM

Hi Sahabam

Please refer below

If the line is uncommented without any changes, the notification messagesare sent in the format:

[server name] summary - details. The format variables are:

■ {0} - the name of the server on which the event occurred
    ■ {1} - the event summary
    ■ {2} - the event detail

For example, the following configuration specifies that Severe system event notifications are sent to a syslog host named server1 which uses port 600.

systemevent.syslog.host=server1
    systemevent.syslog.port=600
    systemevent.syslog.format= [{0}] {1} - {2}

Using this example, a low disk space event notification from an Enforce Server on a host named dlp-1 would look like:

dlp-1 Low disk space - Hard disk space for
    incident data storage server is low. Disk usage is over 82%. 

• 6.  RE: Sample Syslog format of symantec DLP

Posted Mar 13, 2014 08:53 AM

ok 

Thanks for your comment

Is this sample syslog will be generated in the real world??,for the same event  (for "Low disk space")??

if so i can proceed with that ,otherwise please provide me the real one.

Thanks in advance

• 7.  RE: Sample Syslog format of symantec DLP

• 8.  RE: Sample Syslog format of symantec DLP

Posted Mar 14, 2014 09:47 AM

Dear Sharma

Thanks alot for showing interest 

Can you give me a example based on this sample or what each of these sample indiacates???

Sample message field entry is below which will include a Hyperlink in the ArcSight event so your responder can log into the DLP console and go right to the correct DLP incident.

CEF:0|Symantec|DataLossPrevention|11.5|$POLICY$|$POLICY$|5|cs1Label=Sender cs1=$SENDER$ cs2Label=Recipient cs2=$RECIPIENTS$ msg=$RULES$ cn1=$MATCH_COUNT$ cn1Label=MatchCount cs3Label=IncidentSnapshot cs3=$INCIDENT_SNAPSHOT$ cs4Label=DLPSeverity cs4=$SEVERITY$ suid=$Employee Code$

Thanks in advance

• 9.  RE: Sample Syslog format of symantec DLP

Posted Mar 17, 2014 08:05 AM

Hi Sahaba,

Please refer below for response rule: $POLICY$^^$INCIDENT_ID$^^$SUBJECT$^^$SEVERITY$^^$MATCH_COUNT$^^$RULES$^^$SENDER$^^$RECIPIENTS$^^$BLOCKED$^^$FILE_NAME$^^$PARENT_PATH$^^$SCAN$^^$TARGET$^^$PROTOCOL$^^$INCIDENT_SNAPSHOT$