Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is C0000005 when SEP11.0.5 is installed

Posted Nov 10, 2009 06:48 AM

Hello all
    We have upgraded some of our SEP 11 clients from MR4 to version MR5.  They are running SEP11.0.5002.333 with network threat protection, however it has since been disabled.
    The problem we have is that some of these clients are developers and they run IIS locally on their machines.  When they try to run ASP scripts the web service appears as unavailible.

The event log reads as follows; -
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1084
    Date:  11/10/2009
    Time:  11:18:12 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: WEBSOLDT07
    Description:
    aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is C0000005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation directory allow access to the configured account.

the only solution is to uninstall SEP11 and rollback to version SEP11 MR4.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this without having to rollback?

I am not alone with this issue, please see the following thread. http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Languages/.NET/.NET_Framework_2.0/Q_24830156.html

Masby661

• 2.  RE: aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is C0000005 when SEP11.0.5 is installed

Posted Nov 10, 2009 06:55 AM
    Try by removing application and device control component.... 

• 3.  RE: aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is C0000005 when SEP11.0.5 is installed

• 4.  RE: aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is C0000005 when SEP11.0.5 is installed

Posted Mar 29, 2010 12:11 PM

Our corporate IT guys pushed out a new version of SEP to our systems this past week (around 3/25/10), and now IIS and ASP.NET are broken on all of our development systems.  The following errors show up in the affected systems' event logs:

aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is C0000005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation directory allow access to the configured account.

Obviously, the .NET Framework is correctly installed and the ACLs are correct; we've verified that and have reset (and reinstalled the frameworks) to no avail.

Is IIS & ASP.NET such an uncommon platform that a product like SEP would blithely break it?!  This should REALLY have been something caught in QC!!!

• 5.  RE: aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is C0000005 when SEP11.0.5 is installed

Posted Apr 08, 2010 10:28 AM

John,

Same thing happened to us. We reinstalled .NET frameworks and Visual Studio(s) and then ran aspnet_regiis -i. That fixed the problem, but we still need to know what went wrong to avoid work stopage in the future.

Did you find out specifically what update went wrong?

Steve

• 6.  RE: aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is C0000005 when SEP11.0.5 is installed

Posted May 06, 2010 04:28 AM
    > Same thing happened to us. We reinstalled .NET frameworks and Visual Studio(s) and then
    > ran aspnet_regiis -i. That fixed the problem

...Which is all very well, except that Symantec admit that, with this patch in place, when you run 
    aspnet_regiis, it throws an exception (which is exactly what I'm seeing when I try to run it)

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2010012709305848

It's shocking that they let this bug through, and even worse that they are demanding that users request
    a patch to fix the issue, rather than making it widely available.   After all, this is a problem which they
    admit has the following hilarious side-effect:

Symptoms: 
    -.NET Applications do not function.
    -Commands such as aspnet_regiis.exe throw an exception.

Sounds a bit critical to me...
    (And it wasted hours of my time yesterday, as I believed the Event Viewer error, saying that it was a
    user-rights issue.)

Shocking.