Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

• 1.  Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Apr 04, 2007 04:50 PM
    I recently upgraded form GSS 1.1 to GSS 2.0.  I am reciveing this error message on 2 machinces; Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition.

I have checked drivers for NIC cards ensured that they are working and that they are up to date.  Replaced the Nic card to no resolve.

Any suggestions on what to try next would be great.  I am using Intel Pro 100 card template.  The template is working on 3 other machines but on these 2 no success.

• 2.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Apr 05, 2007 02:55 AM
    Hi David,

Usually this error comes when client could not initialize the network card when boot to DOS. To prevent clients getting stuck in DOS, ghost client reboots the machine back to Windows when it finds that there is no network connectivity.

Do you have multiple network cards in these machines?

Could you press F8 when it is it says 'Starting PCDOS' and select step by step mode to find out exactly where it fails?

Krish

• 3.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Apr 05, 2007 12:44 PM
    Do you have multiple network cards in these machines?

A. 1

Could you press F8 when it is it says 'Starting PCDOS' and select step by step mode to find out exactly where it fails?

A. Never see "Starting PCDOS"

Steps that i am doing.  I could be doing something wrong.
    1. Installed Ghost Client
    2. Created Backup Regimine
    3. Right Clicked Backup Now
    4. Machine Reboots
    5. Goes back into windows with a message that Says "Ghost console task in progess.  You may continue to login but task may fail."
    6. Screen then switches back to windows login and Ghost Console says Failed.

• 4.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Apr 10, 2007 04:12 AM
    Hi David,

No, I don't think you are doing anything wrong. The error message suggests that either it failed ot goto VP or once it goes to VP there was no network connection.

After the first reboot, it creates a snapshot of files to use for subsequent incremental images. From your description, it starts doing it but does not proceed to VP.

Could you run a image create task and see if it is working, to see if it is a problem in going to VP or creating the snapshot?

Krish

• 5.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Apr 10, 2007 12:53 PM
    It starts and fails right away with same message; Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition..

• 6.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Apr 11, 2007 03:01 AM
    Hi David,

So this is a failure to goto VP. This is not a very common issue.

There are multiple possible reasons for this,

Do you have more than 3 primary/extended partitions in the drive? VP needs a free slot in MBR.
    By any chance, could the hard disk is heavily fragmented and has little free space left?

I think you have already checked if the Console has the correct driver assigned to the machine, please confirm it again by double clicking the machine in Console.

Could you check if there are any files/folders in the clients folder 'Program files\symantec\Ghost\incoming' ?

Krish

• 7.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Apr 11, 2007 03:24 PM
    Do you have more than 3 primary/extended partitions in the drive? VP needs a free slot in MBR.
    By any chance, could the hard disk is heavily fragmented and has little free space left?

A. Ghost Console Machine (Server) has only 2 partitions a C and D drive. The machine that I am trying to ghost         only has one partition.

B. Server HDD was fragmented I defrag the drive but error still happens.  The Ghost Machine is a new install of         XP it has a 40gb HDD.

I think you have already checked if the Console has the correct driver assigned to the machine, please confirm it again by double clicking the machine in Console.

A. It is using the Intel template

Could you check if there are any files/folders in the clients folder 'Program files\symantec\Ghost\incoming' ?

A. 2 folders; A dos folder containing Bootsect, BootsectFloopy, comand, IBMBIO, IBMDOS.  And a Template         Folder containg e100b, mcassist, protocol

• 8.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Apr 12, 2007 02:32 AM
    Hi David,

I cannot think of any other possibility, so the only way to find something is by creating a log file. Will you be able to add the following registry value?

Name: TraceMode
    Type  : DWORD
    Value : 1

in the key 'HKLM\software\symantec\Symantec Ghost'

If you run the task after creating this, it will create a log file 'trace.txt' in temp folder. Would you be able to post the tail end of it (probably that part will contain the error). If you need any other information, let me know.

Krish

• 9.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Apr 12, 2007 03:49 AM
    I'm having a similar problem - well the same symptoms anyway. It only happens with a Siemens portable computer. There should be no problem with the partitions, but apparently there are several network cards. One listed as Intel Pro/100 VE in Computer Managment, one WLAN which I have disabled in Windows but can't find in BIOS and an extra port for automation purposes. Can this one cause problems? Have Symantec any experience with such programming units? I'm contacting Siemens support in the mean time.

Also, my trace.txt looks like this:

Finding [File Info]
     FindVersion
     FindVersion
     FindVersion
     UpgradeInit
     InitAgentBackoff
     InitAgentBackoff1

• 10.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Apr 12, 2007 03:53 AM
    System details:
    Ghost Solution Suite 1.1 on Windows Server 2000

The client in question runs  XP SP2.

• 11.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Apr 12, 2007 09:58 AM
    Hello I am runnning Ghost Solution Suite 2.0 n a Windows Server 2003 platform.

I am atpting to run a "create image" task. The client is a Tablet PC (Toshiba Portege M400)

I can see the machine in default machine groups via the console, the template is the correct one as I used this to boot from USB previously, its Intel Pro 1000. 

When I run the task it books the client, says Starting PC-DOS, Netbind but then it says;

"Network Initialization failed: the DOS-mode client cannot proceed
    Cannot obtain IP via DHCP"

In our IT Network all our PC's are allocated an address using DHCP. Can anyone suggest why the PC-DOS mode client cannot proceed?

When I look at the event log the update DOS system files stage is a success, the Update DOS Network Drivers stage is a success but the to Virtual Partition stage is a failure with the details describing the following;

"Failed to reboot client to recovery partition"

Mark

• 12.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Apr 12, 2007 01:04 PM
    Krish Jayaratne,

>Timer::destroy
     >TimerWin32::destructor
     <TimerWin32::destructor
     <Timer::destroy
     >ConfigurationServer::destructor
     <ConfigurationServer::destructor
     >FilesystemEventManager::dtor
     <FilesystemEventManager::dtor
     >VolumeEventManager::dtor
     <VolumeEventManager::dtor
     >FilesystemFormatter::destructor
     <FilesystemFormatter::destructor
     >UnexpectedHandler::destroy
     >UnexpectedHandlerThrowBad::destructor
     <UnexpectedHandlerThrowBad::destructor
     <UnexpectedHandler::destroy
     >TerminateHandler::destroy
     >TerminateHandlerAbort::destructor
     <TerminateHandlerAbort::destructor
     <TerminateHandler::destroy
     >HardExceptionHandler::destroy
     >HardExceptionHandlerWin32::destructor
     <HardExceptionHandlerWin32::destructor
     <HardExceptionHandler::destroy
    <AtExitManager::destructor

• 13.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Apr 14, 2007 11:05 PM
    Hi David,

Thanks for the full logfile sent separately, all the information was avaialble there.

It is failing just before copying the network drivers to the virtual partition, but there is no any error message. What software do you have in this machine? Are they different to what you have in the other machines?

Could you try assigning another DOS template (any other network card ) and run a image create task? It will not work, but to see if it will Boot to DOS. I have tried different scenarios but could not simulate this issue.

Krish

• 14.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Aug 01, 2007 01:47 PM
    I'm having this same problem when trying to create an image so I followed the step you indicated...

"Could you press F8 when it is it says 'Starting PCDOS' and select step by step mode to find out exactly where it fails?"

to find out where it fails AND when I did this, the create image worked.  I answered 'Y' for each step.

Why would it work this way and not the 'normal' way?

I really would like to be able to use this w/o having to be at the computer being ghosted to answer all these config questions.

Thanks,
    Amy

• 15.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Aug 02, 2007 12:27 AM
    Hi Amy,

This is possibly an issue we have seen under certain situations.

Basically, when boot to DOS, ngctdos.exe try check if the netwrok is available. If not, it will reboot to Windows again. This is done to avoid getting stuck in DOS in case if there is no network driver.

In some circumstances, the network driver takes longer to negotiate with the switch and not ready at the time when ngctdos.exe is run.

When pressed F8, it introduce a delay and it is good enough for the network card to initialize. If you press Y fast for all the questions, probably it will still fail.

I will send you a forum message to get some more details, for this together with the Console crash issue.

Regards

Krish

• 16.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Aug 07, 2007 07:55 PM
    Try enabling the 'Onboard Lan Boot Rom' in your motherboard's BIOS settings.
    I had the exact same problem and it worked for me.

That's assuming your NIC is an onboard nic.

Goodluck,
    Chris

• 17.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Oct 04, 2007 10:03 AM
    I have the same failure. My client uses an Intel PRO 100 NIC with a 1000 card too.  But there is only one plug on the machine, the plug says 10/100/1000.  And there was an extra LAN connection for 1000 using the same NIC - it's status was "unplugged" while the 100 was "connected".  I tried drivers for the 100 and 1000 NICs, then I just uninstalled the 1000. 

I tried F8 when PC DOS starts and it hangs at cd\ghost as I recall.

This is frustrating and I appreciate any help. 

• 18.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Oct 04, 2007 07:55 PM
    I had the same issue with a system not even reaching the VP.  This was resolved by enabling PXE on the onboard nic which is required by the Universal packet drivers that was configured for that system template

• 19.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Dec 05, 2007 04:36 PM
    Hello dave,

I had a similiar problem when I was trying to create an image. All I would see is the win98 boot splash screen and it would just reboot into windows xp. I looked at the task Event logg and the error messag i got was " To Virtual partition Failed to reboot client to recovery partition "
    I checked my nic and the NIC I have ( Intel® 82566 Gigabit Ethernet) This was not on the list, in ghost console and So what I had to do was, a  little research. I needed to find out what other driver I could use for a DOS template. I went to Intels website. Now i hopt the nic you have, has other drivers available. I was able to download a intel 1000 GB for DOS. Hope yuou can find a driver for that nic.

• 20.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Jan 07, 2008 03:34 PM
    Hello IT_Abz,

I am having the exact same problem with my (Intel 82566 Gigabit Ethernet card).  Can you tell me which Intel 1000 GB for DOS driver you used?  I would really appreciate it.

Thank you
    dzuv12

• 21.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Jan 13, 2008 11:59 PM
    I, too, have the Intel® 82566 Gigabit Ethernet in an HP7700 and encountered this error using the Ghost Console 2.0.1.x when using what Ghost Console initially selected as the default driver, Universal Packet Driver v2.0, or manually selecting the included Intel PRO 1000 driver.

The solution for me was to download the Intel Adapter from here:
    http://www.intel.com/support/index.htm?iid=CorporateV3+Header_2_Support_Head

In the search criteria, I plugged in my NIC, "82566 Gigabit Ethernet", and ended up here:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?strState=LIVE&ProductID=2775&DwnldID=12197&agr=Y&lang=eng&PrdMap=2775

Yes, it's says Vista, but if you look at the bottom of the page, the driver is universal; valid for Vista and so much more (e.g. many NICs and OS combinations).

Upon installation, I added a new NIC via the Ghost Boot Wizard (here is Symantec's instructions; I have not validated these since I have done this way too many times, but assume this will get you there):
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/on-technology.nsf/docid/2000011211551725

I added the DOS driver found in c:\..\PRO1000\DOS\e1000.dos with the Driver Name e1000$ (it adds the $ for you).  I did not add any parameters on the NDIS driver tab or include anything on the Advanced tab.  After saving this driver, I changed the name to Intel PRO 1000 - 82566 Gigabit.

For each computer with that NIC, I manually selected that template on the client tab and it worked like a charm.

As an alternative to save space, you could select your specific driver at the bottom of that first search page (above) where so many drivers appear under the driver for "Network Adapter Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista* (32-bit)" and then select DOS as the OS.

• 22.  RE: Virtual Partition: Failed to reboot client to recovery partition GSS 2.0

Posted Jul 01, 2008 02:32 PM

I will add to this thread with the fact that I get the same error and failure to create an image task for the "failed to create virtual partition".

My issue is that I have pulled an image off of this machine many times.  I use it as a test development system and I upgrade its software before each time I pull an image and then push that image out to test units.  Nothing has changed, only today, it will no longer pull an image.

I have tried the f8 trick and no luck.  Also, I am not interested in changing NIC drivers as the current configuration functioned for months this way.

Using

AOpen DE945

NIC: is Intel PRO 1000