Workflow and ServiceDesk Community

View Only
  • 1.  The application properties does not load when workflow starts

Posted Apr 18, 2017 09:39 AM

Hello,

I have a basic experience in Workflow solution. I created a few simple workflows, that's it.

The question is about application properties. I successfully imported the Symantec workflow. https://www.symantec.com/connect/videos/workflow-template-zero-day-patch

It works fine in the lab. Now when I imported it into production it throws the error. After investigation I found the error happens in "Setup process" embed component, to be precise in "For Each Resource GUID" component. The current item element is just empty. Those guids are defined in the application properties. I have no idea why it does not load the values from the profile properties.

I also checked "Use application properties" in project options.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Tomasz

• 2.  RE: The application properties does not load when workflow starts

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Apr 18, 2017 10:14 AM

Hi Tomasz,

Did you review the PDF that is attached to the Article? 

https://www.symantec.com/connect/videos/workflow-template-zero-day-patch

Step 4 refers to some Application Properties that need to be imported into your Process Manager for it to work - Have you done this stage yet?

Thanks

• 3.  RE: The application properties does not load when workflow starts

Posted Apr 19, 2017 02:35 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Sam,

Yes, I imported the application properties and defined the required values. As I mentioned it works in my lab enviroment. For some reason it does not when moved into production. Of course, I could store the values in project properties or even hardcoded in given components. I'd like to avoid having to do so, it is one of the benefits of application properties. Also the properties are defined, because I receive the error email. The mail server is part of profile setup.

Error Message: Execution Engine Exception

Stack Trace: at LogicBase.Core.ExecutionEngine.AbstractExecutionEngine.RunEngine(List`1 executionQueue) at LogicBase.Core.ExecutionEngine.AbstractExecutionEngine.ExecuteComponent(IData data, IOrchestrationComponent component) at LogicBase.Core.Models.EmbeddedDecisionModel.EmbeddedDecisionModelExecutionEngine.Run(IData data) at LogicBase.Components.Default.Process.EmbeddedModelComponent.Run(IData data) at LogicBase.Core.ExecutionEngine.SinglePathProcessComponentExecutionDelegate.Execute(IData data, IOrchestrationComponent comp, String& outputPath, IExecutionEngine engine, TLExecutionContext context) at LogicBase.Core.ExecutionEngine.AbstractExecutionEngine.RunComponent(TLExecutionContext context, IData data, IOrchestrationComponent comp)

Report Process ID: Patch-0Day-000009

Model ID: 4336c255-0f43-11e2-85c7-005056a27acc

Last Component: Setup Process

I attached the file with screenshot showing that the target resource guids are defined in the profile but not in the project.

I restarted the Worflow server service and IIS, no change.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Tomasz

Attachment(s)

pdf
    temp.pdf   455 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: The application properties does not load when workflow starts
    Best Answer

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Apr 19, 2017 04:57 AM

Hi Tomasz,

Before contacting support, I've listed a few things you could try:

Add logging components in numerous places to capture the Application Properties up until the error occurs. That way you can verify that your Workflow is receiving the values from the Application Properties.

I would suggest you use the Create Log Entry component and within it set the Log Entry Level to Error and log the application properties after the following components:

Start
    Output Short Date String
    For Each Resource GUID

When running your workflow in debug, you could also right click on each component named above and add a Breakpoint - that way when the workflow reaches that component it will pop up a box with all of the available data, you should then be able to review the application property to see its state at each stage of the workflow.

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks

• 5.  RE: The application properties does not load when workflow starts
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 20, 2017 06:19 AM

Hi Sam,

I have investigated it further. In application properties I had 2 sets named 'Staging' and 'Production' so that I could swap easily. At the debug mode I found the guids are loaded for staging set while the guids remain empty for Production set. I compared the parameters one by one, and I discovered that at the very top for the string array there was an empty string instead of the expected guid value. It was not easy to spot when looked at profile summary page, but it was obvious when you edit the array values.

The problem originates from the fact that when you create a new instance within profile, that empty string is already populated. You have to remove it before you add your own values. Perhaps it should be reported as a bug in Process Manager, anyway.

So all in all, the application properties load, but simply the first item in the array is empty string. Therefor all components expecting the guid simply fail because the value is empty.

Thank you for guiding me in the right direction.

Tomasz

• 6.  RE: The application properties does not load when workflow starts

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Apr 20, 2017 10:20 AM

Hi Tomasz,

Can I suggest that you still raise this with Support? It sounds like this was a bug on Process Manager's behalf and it would be great to let Symantec know so it can be resolved in future versions.

What version are you running on? 

Cheers

• 7.  RE: The application properties does not load when workflow starts

Posted Apr 20, 2017 10:34 AM

Hi Sam,

I run version 8.0. You can see what I am talking about if you look  closer at the pdf attached earlier, the section is highlighted in rectangle at top.

I am a bit fed up with reporting issue to Symantec but I will consider it as time follows.

I have 4 open cases at the moment, it is enough time consuming :).

Thanks again.

Tomasz

• 8.  RE: The application properties does not load when workflow starts

Posted Apr 20, 2017 11:53 AM

Just for Reference:

Workflow 8.0 Point Fix Roll-up
    https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.INFO3609.html

Workflow 7.6 Point Fix Roll-up
    https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.INFO2509.html