Workflow and ServiceDesk Community

View Only
  • 1.  Using the Web Service Caller Generator with SharePoint

Posted May 20, 2013 03:57 PM

I currently use Symantec Workflow Solution 7.1 SP2 and have been trying to use the Web Service Caller generator with SharePoint's web services without success (ex. "Lists.asmx"). I get the same result with SharePoint Services 3.0, SharePoint Foundation 2010 and SharePoint Foundation 2013. I can get through all the generator's steps, but on the last screen of the wizard, most of the methods I need to use are not enabled. When I check the box next to one of them, enter the parameters it prompts for and click "Test", I get the error message below. Most of the methods I need to use start with "System.Xml.XmlNode" (ex. "GetList"), but it appears only the ones starting with "System.String" allow me to finish the wizard (ex. "DeleteList").

Below are some more details about the web service and some screenshots of my problem:

SharePoint Web service: http://[mysite.mycompany.com]/_vti_bin/Lists.asmx

I also tried adding "?wsdl" to the end of the web service address with the same result.

Methods I Need: "GetList", "GetListAndView", "GetListItems

Related Images Below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/Web%20Service%20Generator%20Error%20-%20SharePoint.png

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/SharePoint%20Web%20Services%20Unavailable%20-%20Specific%20Methods%20Needed.png

Thanks

Loekee

• 2.  RE: Using the Web Service Caller Generator with SharePoint

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 20, 2013 04:26 PM

Unfortunately the generator is not designed to function with the XmlNode data type. Any web service that uses this specific data type for input or output the generator won't build against it.

• 3.  RE: Using the Web Service Caller Generator with SharePoint

Posted May 24, 2013 01:07 PM

Hi TGiles,

Is this something that Symantec is working on fixing for the XmlNode data type or is there nothing that can be done for it?

• 4.  RE: Using the Web Service Caller Generator with SharePoint

Posted May 24, 2013 01:12 PM

There's no way to work around it using the generator. The generator blocks methods with XmlNode and Dataset inputs/outputs for some reason (I'm assuming because they do not play well with the Property Editors of components)

To get around it, you'd have to do something custom in a handcoded component (the Run method would need to convert the XmlNode output - or a property of the output - into something the Property Editor can handle).

• 5.  RE: Using the Web Service Caller Generator with SharePoint

Posted May 24, 2013 06:19 PM

If I can't get the web service caller generator to do this, is there a way I can respond to a SharePoint list event? (ex. ItemAdded, ItemUpdated). Our service desk tickets are stored in SharePoint lists and we don't use Process Manager, though I'd be willing to use some features of it if necessary.

The scenario below describes what I am trying to achieve with workflow and SharePoint, but I'm not sure which type of project(s) to use and how it will be triggered automatically --> no user interaction is required.

1. Monitor a SharePoint list every x minutes for tickets that match a criteria, such as [Status] = "Approved"

2. For each SharePoint list item returned, take some kind of action such as adding an AD user to an AD group and/or sending an email.

3. As each action completes, update the SharePoint list item with the outcome/result ("Completed" or "Error Occurred")

If you have any suggestions or examples, that would be great.

Thank you for the feedback.

Loekee

• 6.  RE: Using the Web Service Caller Generator with SharePoint

Posted Jun 05, 2013 12:51 PM

I have not worked much with Sharepoint integration but I assume that the included Sharepoint component does not provide you with the output you require?