IT Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  ITMS 8.5 vs GSS 3.2

Posted Oct 14, 2020 11:17 AM
    Hi Experts!! (I could really use a good explanation here if possible):

Could someone please explain to me what is the difference between the Ghost Solution Suite (GSS) 3.2 to IT Management Suite (ITMS) 8.5? 

We might have a previously in-house GUI created on top of the GCC 3.2, which save us a lot of time and issues when deploying with it (I still don't know what "it" is, but so I was told)..

Bottom line: We wish to copy and implement the same GUI (frontend) on top of the ITMS 8.5.

Is there a way to know if the DB SQL structure behind the 2 systems is similar? (or even one could only hope , identical?).

Why when refer to  "Altiris" , they could mean both of these systems (GSS or ITMS)??

Could someone please share same details?

tnx,

Hagai 

• 2.  RE: ITMS 8.5 vs GSS 3.2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 15, 2020 08:09 AM
    Hi Hagai,

SQL structure is very different between these product , also they have very different agents.
    GSS is separate product with own approach to manage computers, it has own agent,
    ITMS has own platform and set of solutions that are using platform capabilities in order to deliver solutions' functionality to endpoints. Platform has agent and solutions add own plugins to this agent. One of ITMS solutions is Deployment Solution, that provides functionality similar to GSS functionality. 
    Both GSS and Deployment Solution from ITMS use same tools for imaging(i.e. Ghost, PXE Server), but these tools are wrapped by tasks differently, so these products use different approaches to manage computers.

Many years ago functionality of GSS was ported to ITMS, so ITMS users have opportunity to image computers managed by ITMS. 

Thanks,
    Roman

• 3.  RE: ITMS 8.5 vs GSS 3.2

Posted Oct 15, 2020 09:17 AM

Thank you Roman for explaining this!

I was afraid that is the case, but thanks for clearing this up.

Thanks,
    Hagai