Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Feature Request - Recreate Preboot & Clone Job Option

Posted Mar 16, 2021 04:06 AM
    Dear Symantec Support,

we have recently installed version 8.6 and are very happy with the product. However, I would have two problems that are very annoying in the daily work. It would be nice if you could include these as feature requests for the next version.

- "Recreate Preboot Environment" can only be executed on all servers. Often this is only necessary on one. It would be awesome if you could add this possibility

- When you clone a job, all items in it are cloned as well. Why, bug or feature? If it's a feature, could you add an additional clone option that only clones the job and not the contained items?

Or are there already solutions out there?

folks, please comment if this would help you too

thanks
    Joe

• 2.  RE: Feature Request - Recreate Preboot & Clone Job Option

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 16, 2021 05:16 AM
    Hi,

can you explain a bit your usage scenario with preboots: In your case, you need to have particular preboot on all servers and an option to re-create preboot on selected server is required? Or you need to have this preboot only on particular server from start?

Thanks,
    Ed.

• 3.  RE: Feature Request - Recreate Preboot & Clone Job Option

Posted Mar 16, 2021 05:48 AM

Hi Ed,

it´s the first thing you said. I have a particular preboot on all servers, but sometimes you need to repair only one.

And than it´s annoying to recreate it on all of them. Sometimes another one can not complete this action and than you have to do it for all again.

It´s not needed very often, but when you need it, it would be a very nice option.

------------------------------
    H

• 4.  RE: Feature Request - Recreate Preboot & Clone Job Option

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 16, 2021 06:17 AM
    So the intention is not to rebuild a valid image on particular server, but to invoke rebuild process for failed one?

• 5.  RE: Feature Request - Recreate Preboot & Clone Job Option

Posted Mar 16, 2021 06:33 AM
      |   view attached

Do you rely on this screen if a server fails to complete? see attached image

For example, I have 3 out of 100 which did not complete the process since yesterday, they probably never will.

So now I guess I have to start the recreate preboot environment task and that will recreate it for all - again.

H

• 6.  RE: Feature Request - Recreate Preboot & Clone Job Option

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 16, 2021 06:45 AM
    Thanks, got it.

• 7.  RE: Feature Request - Recreate Preboot & Clone Job Option

Posted Mar 17, 2021 10:23 AM
    I requested that the clone job had the option of cloning the tasks or using the existing ones 10 years ago when V7 came out. It's never made into the product and I don't understand why.

Most of the time you want to clone a job its because you want to try a slightly different variant of it - remove a task, add a new task. You want to use all the same tasks and don't want them duplicated because you just end up with many many unnecessary copies of the tasks that you just don't want or need.

I requested that by default the Clone Job didn't clone the tasks too, but had the option to do so in those rare occasions when this might be required.  In short there are only rare use cases for cloning tasks when you clone a job, but many many many use cases for cloning a job that just uses the existing tasks in that job being cloned.

Incit Technology Ltd

• 8.  RE: Feature Request - Recreate Preboot & Clone Job Option

Posted Mar 17, 2021 02:10 PM
    +1 on both suggestions. The clone job has been a annoyance since version 7.0 and rebuild preboot on a single server would be used very often. Especially while testing WinPE drivers and / or something goes wrong on a few servers.

Zitac Consulting AB