Patch Management Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Software Update Bulletin is empty

Posted Jun 17, 2019 10:36 PM

Hi, all.

I encountered an issue in Symantec ITMS Patch Management and after importing the Windows metadata, the software update bulletin is empty as per in the screenshots.

So, how can I resolve this issue?

FYI, the microsoft data part works as I was able to see software update list for Microsoft Updates and push them to clients. 

• 2.  RE: Software Update Bulletin is empty

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 18, 2019 01:27 AM

Hi Pan Fei Teh!

1. Please open "Altiris Log Viewer" from "Start" menu and re-run this report -> is there any warning/error/trace messages about not enough permissions, etc?
    2. What settings you have on 'MetaData Import Task" page and was there successfull 'Patch Data Import' below?

3. This is Hierarchy managed NS Server or stand-alone?

Regards,

IP.

• 3.  RE: Software Update Bulletin is empty
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 18, 2019 01:55 AM

Hi, Igor. 

Apologies as this is actually not an issue and me being an idiot. I actually forgot to run the import metadata task which results in empty software update bulletin.

I have run the task which results in populated bulletin which has resolved the issue and it is working fine.

However, I do have a question what is the difference between Windows and Windows (Microsoft Data)? 

• 4.  RE: Software Update Bulletin is empty

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 18, 2019 02:11 AM

"Windows" updates section:

In this case you have MetaData imported and only required vendor/updates are selected, so Windows Assessment scan executes on managed windows computers based on list of updates that you've imported via MetaData, therefore you got appropriate list of Bulletins/Updates and their compliance state.

Windows (Microsoft Data) section:

In this case, 'Windows Update' service asks Microsoft to get currently released/applicable updates (not based on MetaData that you've imported but it's like when you manually open "Windows Updates" on windows OS and start "Check for Updates".

When Windows Updates check is done on client side, they will send currently available updates list for them to NS, so admin on NS side, can see all available updates in "Microsft Updates" report under "Windows (Microsoft Data)" and ditribute them via mouse right click.

• 5.  RE: Software Update Bulletin is empty

Posted Jun 18, 2019 02:23 AM

Hi, Igor.

So is it safe to say that Windows are more towards 3rd party software while Windows (Microsoft Data) is more towards Microsoft Windows Update?

• 6.  RE: Software Update Bulletin is empty

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 18, 2019 02:50 AM

I wouldn't say so, since Windows updates (I.E, IIS, SQL, MS OS version, etc) are available as well as 3rd party software for Windows.

You can read all details about "Windows (Microsoft Data)", in opened "Default Microsoft Update Configuration Policy"

• 7.  RE: Software Update Bulletin is empty

Posted Jun 18, 2019 03:12 AM

Hi, Igor.

Thank you for your information. It has been a great help.