Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server)

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?

Zebulon

ZebulonAug 13, 2019 06:01 AM

Zebulon

ZebulonAug 13, 2019 09:26 AM

Zebulon

ZebulonAug 16, 2019 09:07 AM

andykn101

andykn101Aug 16, 2019 03:03 PM

Zebulon

ZebulonAug 19, 2019 04:06 AM

• 1.  Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?

Posted Aug 12, 2019 06:44 AM

Hi,

We have quite many Tasks that run a script as Current logged-on user to copy files to user profile or remove user desktop shortcuts etc. that has been working for many years, but last week I noticed that those scripts won't run anymore and allways get error code -1 after a while. I doesn't matter whar script I run, even just DIR fail with -1. If I change to run the script as "Local System Account" or "Specific user" there is no problem and the script exit with 0. Has anyone else in the forum experienced this and how to solve this problem?

• 2.  RE: Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 12, 2019 07:47 AM

Hi Zebulon,

Could it be what some major win-10 update has been installed and computers need to be logged-on to complete the update process?

BWT: that exact version of SMP do you have? 8.5Ru2 or older?

Thank you,

Alex.

• 3.  RE: Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?

Posted Aug 12, 2019 09:11 AM

Hi Alex,
    The computers in question are running Windows 10 version 1709 and 1809. The problem does not seem to exist on version 1903!?

We are running SMP version 8.5.3073.

Thank you!

Zeb

• 4.  RE: Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?

Posted Aug 12, 2019 09:47 AM

Upon closer analysis, it turns out that it works on some 1709, but others not. On 1809 I have only tested 2 and there it works on one but not on the other. On 1903 I've only tested 1 and it works. So the version on Windows 10 doesn't seem to matter.

• 5.  RE: Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?

Posted Aug 12, 2019 07:25 PM

Has a Group Policy been changed so user rights have changed? Or is it related to patching?

• 6.  RE: Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 13, 2019 02:35 AM

Hi Zebulon,

Wild guess – could it be what problematic computers are in state when they need to restart after the windows updates were just installed? If you will go to problematic computer, restart and logon to OS – will it resolve the issue? Another thought - might it be what users uses MS account to logon to OS on these systems?

Thank you,

Alex.

• 7.  RE: Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?

Posted Aug 13, 2019 06:01 AM

No! No!

• 8.  RE: Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?

Posted Aug 13, 2019 06:10 AM

Hi Alex,

No, I've restarted both a problematic computer, the SMP (NS) Server and the Task Server, but without any improvement. We allways logon to OS with on prem AD accounts, if that is what you mean?

Thank you!

• 9.  RE: Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 13, 2019 06:58 AM

Hi Zebulon,

OK, understood. Well, maybe you may zip&attach logs from the problematic computer - there should be some info related to the task launch?

The default path is: C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec Agent\Logs

(AD account: OK, yes)

Thank you,

Alex.

• 10.  RE: Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?

Posted Aug 13, 2019 09:26 AM
      |   view attached

AgentLogs.zip attached!

Attachment(s)

zip
    AgentLogs_0.zip   167 KB 1 version

• 11.  RE: Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?

Posted Aug 14, 2019 08:24 AM

I created a support case, just in case. :-)

• 12.  RE: Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 15, 2019 08:20 AM

Does it mean that you are running task using "Current logged-on user" for managed client computer where no one is logged in there, therefore task fails because of that?

• 13.  RE: Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?

Posted Aug 16, 2019 09:07 AM

No, I get the error when I am logged in.

• 14.  RE: Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?

Posted Aug 16, 2019 03:03 PM

UAC Level?

• 15.  RE: Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?

Posted Aug 19, 2019 04:06 AM

Standard (Always notify).

• 16.  RE: Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2019 06:46 AM

Hi Zebulon,

May you check on problematic systems - does 'currently logged-on user' has access and might create files in windows temp directory? (c:\windows\temp by default).

Thank you,

Alex.

• 17.  RE: Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 27, 2019 05:32 AM

Hi Zebulon,

Each task creates temp file in windows system temp directory with the script which it will run. Per logs from client, the creation of such temp-file fails with 'access denied' error:

-----

Failed to perform file operation 'create' on 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\AltirisScript5BCFBE0091FD9B52CE.ps1' with retries: Åtkomst nekad (0x00000005)

-----

It looks like some permitions were removed from the temp directory which makes it impossible to create such temp file. Maybe it is worth to compare temp folder permissions on a system which don;t have the problems with task execution and on a sustem which has such problems.

HTH,

Alex.

• 18.  RE: Run Tasks as Current logged-on user?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 27, 2019 08:03 AM

I have done a bit more research and discovered that the problem occurs only on computers where the Windows\Temp directory is opened for Read/Execute for Users, which is not standard. The default permission allows Write/Execute, but not Read, see below. There we have the problem! With Standard permissions on the Windows\Temp directory, the problem never arises.

Standard/Default permission on Windows\Temp

BUILTIN\Users: (CI) (S, WD, AD, X)

(CI) container inherit

S - synchronize

WD - write data / add file

AD - append data / add subdirectory

X - execute / traverse