Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all
  • 1.  what is md5

Posted Dec 08, 2011 06:27 AM

where md5 setting to check the virus definition is proper update or not??

• 2.  RE: what is md5

• 3.  RE: what is md5

Posted Dec 08, 2011 10:24 AM

I am not sure I understand what you mean by an MD5 setting? What is it that you are trying to validate? MD5 is a type of hash that you can use to compare against a known MD5 value to see if the binary/package is corrupt or not, like when you download a file off of our FileConnect site, we use SHA-1 hashes.

You can get some more information on MD5 just by search the web if you need and checking out some of the Wiki articles.

If you want to see what the latest content versions are, you can visit: http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/definitions.jsp - this way you can comare with what you have against what is most current.

Hope that helps!

• 4.  RE: what is md5

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 09, 2011 12:09 PM

Hello,

I believe, you want to say is "From where to check the virus definition is proper updated or not??" 

To check if the Latest definitions are installed on the machine, you can check this website:

http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/definitions.jsp

Here you can click ont he Dropdown and click on Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.x -12.0 (32 bit)

Hope that helps!!

• 5.  RE: what is md5

Posted Dec 09, 2011 12:53 PM

My Security admin question me that where the md5 setting avail in Server.

• 6.  RE: what is md5

Posted Dec 09, 2011 12:57 PM

Senior questioned me that if any defintion will come in server with corrupted/virus then how to find it.??

• 7.  RE: what is md5
    Best Answer

• 8.  RE: what is md5

Posted Dec 09, 2011 01:35 PM

Rafeeq is spot on with regards to Digital Signing. But I am also curious about how the content is validated. The logs probably validate upon download but what if you wanted to validate after download to see if the content is corrupt? I'm still trying to research and understand this as well.

As far as validating MD5 values on an Intelligent Updater file, that is easy. You can see the MD5 hash online at Security Response. You then download the file and run an MD5 validation against it like my example below:

By clicking on "all", you will get a more complete list of MD5 values.

• 9.  RE: what is md5

Posted Dec 09, 2011 02:26 PM

How to clear out definitions for a Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 client manually
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO59193

• 10.  RE: what is md5

Posted Dec 12, 2011 12:32 PM

Any tool avail to check the same

• 11.  RE: what is md5

Posted Dec 13, 2011 07:23 AM

Doing it manually would be the best option... no tools available for the same.

• 12.  RE: what is md5

Posted Dec 13, 2011 10:05 AM

thanks.