Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Corporate 10.x defs stuck at 10/18/2010 rev.2

Posted Nov 19, 2010 08:10 AM

Hi all--

I have a variety of new and old systems across my organization (five locations), and I am using  unmanaged SEP 11.x clients for the newer W7 systems (pending server upgrade), and Corporate 10.x for the older systems. Yesterday, I started getting reports from staff at all locations that they were getting "Virus definitions are more than 30 days old" pop-ups. The common thread is that they are all using 10.x. Each location has its own server with its own license, so I'm of the opinion that this has got to be happening to other people in the world besides the one poster here that had Corporate 8.x.

To clarify: All my managed 10.x clients (multiple locations/multiple servers) are stuck at 10/18/2010 rev. 2, and forcing LiveUpdate returns a "Your products are all up to date" message.

Are there any bulletins I need to know about? Was there a bad Windows Update that is causing this? Anything?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Symantec Corporate 10.x defs stuck at 10/18/2010 rev.2

Posted Nov 19, 2010 10:24 AM

Have you tried  a manual update on your SAV server?

Download the daily .xdb file, and place it on the master primary server. To automate this method, you can use the XDBdown script.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH101518&locale=en_US

• 3.  RE: Symantec Corporate 10.x defs stuck at 10/18/2010 rev.2

• 4.  RE: Symantec Corporate 10.x defs stuck at 10/18/2010 rev.2

Posted Nov 19, 2010 11:09 AM

Did something change in your environment on or around that date?

When the clients run LiveUpdate, are they going to Symantec's LiveUpdate server, or to an internal server?

Exactly which version of SAV 10.x are you using? (SAV 10.1.9 is the latest build.)

Found the following, hope it helps:

LiveUpdate incorrectly displays "All Symantec products and components installed on your computer are currently up to date"
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/
    TECH100253

sandra

• 5.  RE: Symantec Corporate 10.x defs stuck at 10/18/2010 rev.2

Posted Nov 19, 2010 11:11 AM

That's definitely an option I'll investigate, but I'm trying to avoid *needing* to do this for five servers when it should be automatic-- and given this is common across the board, I'd rather not use a work-around, when there has got to be a solution.

• 6.  RE: Symantec Corporate 10.x defs stuck at 10/18/2010 rev.2

Posted Nov 19, 2010 11:17 AM

Environment change: None that I know of. Each domain is independent, and in different cities.

Version: They vary from location, but two are using 10.1.9.9000.

Clients update from the Management server (Domain controller).

Checking link now.

• 7.  RE: Symantec Corporate 10.x defs stuck at 10/18/2010 rev.2

Posted Nov 19, 2010 11:29 AM

Clients update from the Management server (Domain controller).

That is normal for the clients to do so via VDTM, but when they launch LiveUpdate, they either will go to a Symantec LiveUpdate server, or to an internal LiveUpdate server (LiveUpdate Administrator). 

My thought is if some change was implemented on the SAV server preventing the distribution of definitions, and the internal LUA (if in use) is also failing to update, then this situation might occur.  Does the SAV server itself show that it's updating?

Virus definition corruption can also cause this, but it would surprise me if it happened to so many computers at the same time.  It really suggests something environmental.

sandra