Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrade to Version 12.1 from 11 - Side by Side upgrade?

• 1.  Upgrade to Version 12.1 from 11 - Side by Side upgrade?

Posted Mar 16, 2012 10:23 AM

Hi,

I am going to set up a new virtual server on which I will install Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1.  As of that moment any new clients I will install I will direct them to get their configuration and updates to this new server.

However I still want my old configuration (Version 11) in place and still have my current clients get their configuration and updates from here.

I want update them and migrate my clients slowly and office by office and run the two side by side

Is this possible.

Thanks in advance

Declan D

• 2.  RE: Upgrade to Version 12.1 from 11 - Side by Side upgrade?

Posted Mar 16, 2012 11:04 AM

What you're describing here can be accomplished by implementing two completely sepatate SEPM installations, and migrating existing SEP Clients across to the new server by replacing their sylink.xml files, as and when you want to redirect them.

The replacing of the sylink files can be done remotely using the below tool:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH105211

#EDIT#

Just be aware that doing it this way means you'll probably lose any historical data on the older clients when the migration is complete.

• 3.  RE: Upgrade to Version 12.1 from 11 - Side by Side upgrade?

Posted Mar 16, 2012 11:28 AM

Hi and thanks for you reply.

Redirection is possible without upgrading the clients?

Rgrd,

Declan D

• 4.  RE: Upgrade to Version 12.1 from 11 - Side by Side upgrade?

Posted Mar 16, 2012 11:45 AM

By replacing the sylink file on a SEP11 client, you can update them to become managed by a SEP12.1 Management Server

• 5.  RE: Upgrade to Version 12.1 from 11 - Side by Side upgrade?

Posted Mar 16, 2012 11:33 PM

Sylink replacer as suggested above is the way to go. But there is an alternative, see below link. this is easier and i tested it. it works.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH96469

• 6.  RE: Upgrade to Version 12.1 from 11 - Side by Side upgrade?

Posted Mar 17, 2012 03:05 AM

Hi,

Try this article is best for you to upgrade 11 to 12.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/sep-11x-sep-121-upgrade-process-graphical-overview

• 7.  RE: Upgrade to Version 12.1 from 11 - Side by Side upgrade?

Posted Mar 19, 2012 09:31 AM

Thank you all for your help!

Greatly appreciated!

• 8.  RE: Upgrade to Version 12.1 from 11 - Side by Side upgrade?

Posted Mar 19, 2012 10:17 AM

If your question was answered by any of the above comments, kindly mark it as solution. It would help the other users who has similar queries. Thnak you.

• 9.  RE: Upgrade to Version 12.1 from 11 - Side by Side upgrade?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 19, 2012 10:17 AM

Hi DeclanDonnelly,

It's possible & supported to run two completely sepatate SEPM's ( i.e SEPM 11.x and SEPM 12.1) in same environment.

I hope you will be aware that SEPM 11.x is paper license product and SEPM 12.1 is software license product.

You would require .slf files to activate SEPM 12.1

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/feature-differences-between-sep-11x-and-sep-121

• 10.  RE: Upgrade to Version 12.1 from 11 - Side by Side upgrade?

Posted Mar 20, 2012 09:09 AM

Greetings,

Sorry, what do you mean by

I hope you will be aware that SEPM 11.x is paper license product and SEPM 12.1 is software license product.

Thanks in advace

Declan D

• 11.  RE: Upgrade to Version 12.1 from 11 - Side by Side upgrade?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 20, 2012 09:43 AM

Hi DeclanDonnelly,

You are going to install SEP 12.1, It's using .slf files to activate the product.

You might have receive email notification from Symantec to upgrade the proudct, email might contain new serial number to download SEP 12.1.

To avoid future problems make sure you have valid number seats against purchase licensed. If you overdeployed clients SEPM will start reporting over deployed status.

If you have correct number of seats then you are good to go.

• 12.  RE: Upgrade to Version 12.1 from 11 - Side by Side upgrade?

Posted Mar 20, 2012 10:06 AM

Thank you for that.

Yes I have received all the necessary info from distributor so I am ok to go.

Thanks!