Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Domains: Client not talking to server after migrating domains

Posted Jun 09, 2014 03:09 PM
      |   view attached

Hello all,

Here's the run down, I'm curious if anyone else has seen this behavior.

Up until recently, we have had only a single (default) SEP domain as we were only running SEP on workstations and about four servers (out of 300).

About 3 weeks ago, our server admin team decided to finally move to SEP.  At that time, I created a new SEP domain called "Servers", set them up as domain admins, and they've been happily installing SEP in their own domain without a problem.  All servers they have installed it on so far are communicating with the SEPM and are pulling policies from the Servers domain.

Now, when I try to migrate one of the four servers that originally connected to the Workstations domain over to the Servers domain, the client loses connection to the SEPM and shows an "Internal Error" on the Help>Troubleshooting>Connection screen. (see attached screenshot)

I've attempted the change over a couple of ways.

1) Exporting a sylink.xml file from the group in the Servers domain I want them to move to, and manually importing it into the client.

2) Uninstalling the client entirely, running the Cleanwipe utility, and then installing the package exported from the Servers domain.

In both cases I get the same results.  From everything I've read this should be very easy to do, am I overlooking a step?

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

This is SEP 12.1.4 MP1a

All affected servers are Windows 2008R2

• 2.  RE: Domains: Client not talking to server after migrating domains

Posted Jun 09, 2014 03:14 PM

Any more info under the Error Details hyperlink?

• 3.  RE: Domains: Client not talking to server after migrating domains

Posted Jun 09, 2014 03:18 PM
      |   view attached

Yeah, it's not much help.  Lol.

• 4.  RE: Domains: Client not talking to server after migrating domains

Posted Jun 09, 2014 03:19 PM

You created a new Domain ,because of three servers?

I would suggest to delelte the sylink.bak file and then replace the sylink file

when you log in to the sepm, chose the domain Server from the drop down menu, export the sylink, delte the bak file and then import it 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH196378

and when you install new package use these settings to reset client server communication

How to create a client install setting to remove previous logs, policies and reset the client-server communication settings.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH93617

• 5.  RE: Domains: Client not talking to server after migrating domains

Posted Jun 09, 2014 03:21 PM

Try a different method

How to change the sylink.xml file in Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) 12.1

In the new package you created, did you reset client-server communication?

• 6.  RE: Domains: Client not talking to server after migrating domains
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 09, 2014 03:50 PM

@Rafeeq: Nope, I created a new domain because we're adding 297 servers to the four we already had.  ;)

Well, you guys got me part way.  I made sure to create a new package with the reset client server communication setting checked.  However, I still had the same problem as before.

HOWEVER.  Once I went back to the workstations domain in the SEPM Console, and deleted any client records for that server, the migrated client was able to talk to the new domain just fine.  So I guess the lesson here is "Clean up after yourself."

Thank you both for the advice, I'm pretty sure both steps were needed, as I had already tried deleting the record once before with no luck. 

• 7.  RE: Domains: Client not talking to server after migrating domains

Posted Jun 09, 2014 03:56 PM

Happy that your issue is resolved, good day ! :)