Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Wake on Lan

Posted Jan 27, 2009 05:14 AM
    Greetings All

From what I understand if I shutdown a machine via Altiris I will be able to Wake it up via Altiris.
    However I have tested this again and again and it appears that this is not the case.
    I can shutdown a machine via an Altiris Job however I am unable to wake the machine back up.

Any ideas?

Cheers

• 2.  RE: Wake on Lan

Posted Jan 27, 2009 05:17 AM
    From what I can tell, this has been a feature that doesn't always work. If you are on a network with multiple subnets, or spread across switches that don't relay WOL packets, it won't work. The only way around these scenarios is to have a designated box or client on each segment that forwards all WOL packets to the rest of the clients on that subnet/segment/VLAN.

• 3.  RE: Wake on Lan

Posted Jan 27, 2009 07:45 AM
    I find it works 95+ percent of the time. You must have a WOL proxy set. This is a setting on the production (aclient) and can be set on the fly. I try to keep my school tech's machine turned on at all times. You can always grab any other active machine and turn on its WOL proxy functions. Even if the machine is "frozen" as our labs are the client will work until it is rebooted. Of course if someone has set the machine into "standby" it is more "iffy" ; )

• 4.  RE: Wake on Lan

Posted Jan 27, 2009 08:01 AM
    Also, if you use WOL proxies, try not to set more than one machine up as a proxy per segment. It can cause problems.

• 5.  RE: Wake on Lan

Posted Jan 29, 2009 01:52 AM
    I had to enable the Wake on Lan feature on the NIC's which I wanted the server to boot from. What brand of servers are you using such as Dell, HP so on? On the Dell's I had to go into the system bios to enable the feature probably because it was an integrated NIC. On the HP's I went to the NIC to turn it on but the integrated Intel NICs on the HP servers will not Wake On Lan so we had to configure the add-in NICs for Wake On Lan. The other posts are correct about your network dropping Wake On Lan packets at a switch or router so the best thing to test is put your Deployment Server on the same switch as your target Wake On Lan machine just to isolate your network as a possible contributor to the problem.

I fought with this for a few days then discovered Wake On Lan was not enabled on the NIC's. On the Dell servers I had to enable Wake On Lan "and" Automatic Power On which were both on the same menu.

Wake On Lan has worked for me 100% of the time with HP servers.

• 6.  RE: Wake on Lan

Posted Feb 05, 2009 09:39 AM
    Hi Ravanor

We are not using Wake On Lan for servers, we use lightsout servers.
    We are trying to wake up our desktops. All of them do have their NICs set for wake on lan.

I am going to talk to our Cisco Admin regarding being able to send wake on lan through our switches.

Cheers

• 7.  RE: Wake on Lan

Posted Feb 06, 2009 01:18 AM
    Most switches will not forward WOL packets. Your Cisco admin might be able to enable an iphelper, but not sure if that will help either. I think your only option would be to designate a WOL proxy on each subnet that will stay powered on all of the time.