Control Compliance Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Unable to install CCS agent on server with hostname as COM1

Posted Jan 10, 2020 03:11 AM

I have a Windows 2016 server machine with hostname as COM1. When I tried to install Symantec CCS agent on it, Symantec encountered an error where the folder of COM1 cannot be created.

After searching online, I found that COM1 is one of the reserved device names and cannot be used for the name of file/folder.

One thing i can do to proceed with the installation is to change the hostname of the server to that of non reserved device name. 

Can I check whether anyone have any ideas on how I can proceed without changing the hostname? Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Unable to install CCS agent on server with hostname as COM1

Posted Jan 13, 2020 02:05 AM

Have you tried to do a DNS change? Add a record in DNS to refer to the server as a different name? Or look at the host file?

All of the above is a lot more risky than simply renaming the server.

• 3.  RE: Unable to install CCS agent on server with hostname as COM1

Posted Jan 13, 2020 03:32 PM

Hi Tang1976,

you will have to rename the server. COM1, as you mentioned, is reserved name and since CCS Agent installer creates folder name called <hostname> under the \Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Enterprise Security Manager\ESM\system\<hostname>, it will fail to do so and error out as you reported.

There is no way around it, "ESM\system\<hostname>" folder is created regardless of the path you choose during the installation and changing DNS record or hostfile will not help either.