Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Ghost Console and new/repaired clients

Posted Sep 26, 2007 05:31 AM
    Hey, people:-)

I've started to use Ghost Console to distribute images to the clients in my company, however since the computers need the Ghost Client installed for this to work, it causes a problem with new computers that need a clean image or a computer where the HDD need to be replaced.
    I don't want to use Ghostcast Server to distribute an image first (via RIS which I've set up), and after that distribute one more time via Ghost Console to get proper SID-change and domain-entry.

So, I've looked at the boot-options in Ghost Boot Wizard and tried to create a file via the "TCP/IP Network Ghost Client Boot Image"-entry. This creates a .sys-file.

My question is: How do I use this file to get my clients to boot into a Ghost Console-mode via PXE so I can use my Ghost Console to distribute an image? Is this even possible?

Or do I have to use the "Console Boot Partition"-entry instead, and use this image-file in a way?

What I like to, is to either have a Ghost Console-entry in my Client Installation Wizard when I boot a new comp (or one with a replaced HDD or corrupt OS); or that the clients boot directly into a Ghost Console-mode of some sorts, so I can distribute the image from Ghost Console on my server.

I hope I made myself clear, and any tips, tricks and/or help would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Sincerely,
    Tommy
    Internal-IT
    BBS A/S

Message Edited by Tommy Bredesen on 09-26-2007 02:32 AM

Message Edited by Tommy Bredesen on 09-26-2007 02:34 AM

• 2.  RE: Ghost Console and new/repaired clients

Posted Sep 26, 2007 08:34 AM
    Hi Tommy,

I understand what it is that you want to do but personally dont know the exact solution you are requesting. The workaround that i use for this is to boot the clients from a USB key and then join them to a ghost cast server for the first build or if the OS is damaged.

I hope thats of some help... personally i would also like to know how/if some form of virtual/recovery partition could be pushed on to a disk so this could be done without visiting the machine as our site is huge.

• 3.  RE: Ghost Console and new/repaired clients

Posted Sep 26, 2007 03:06 PM
    I put together a detailed step by step instructions on how to setup a PXE server using the 3com boot services:
    or download a word doc here:

Once that is done you can have a bare metal machine connect to the Ghost console and then do the rest of the steps from there.

• 4.  RE: Ghost Console and new/repaired clients

Posted Sep 27, 2007 03:05 AM
    Thank you so much, Mark! :-)

Just two questions though:
    - I already have a DHCP-server on my network, do I still have to check the "Proxy DHCP-option"?
    - I have a RIS-server up also, which transmits Microsofts "Client Installation Wizard" together with Ghost to clients booting via PXE now. Do I have to disable the RIS-server before attempting this?

Sincerely,
    Tommy

• 5.  RE: Ghost Console and new/repaired clients

Posted Sep 27, 2007 06:49 AM
    The "Proxy DHCP-option" is used when the DHCP server is NOT on the same machine as the PXE Server.

Thats a good question. My "guess" is that you will have to disable the RIS-server, but I do have any experience with RIS.

• 6.  RE: Ghost Console and new/repaired clients

Posted Sep 27, 2007 07:17 AM
    Ok, thank you again for your invaluable help. :-)
    I'll start running some tests asap.

Sincerely,
    Tommy