ProxySG & Advanced Secure Gateway

View Only

Web Protection Suite

fida's profile image
fida posted Dec 28, 2021 04:44 AM
Hello,
we are using the BCIS Standard subscription for ProxySG, which is up for renewal. Now we have been told that BCIS subscriptions aren't sold anymore, but are only available as part of the "Web Protection Suite", which is a hybrid license for both cloud and on-premise appliances and includes Web Isolation, Malware Analysis Sandbox, Reporter, Management Center, etc and is like 3 times as expensive as before. Is this really true? Without BCIS the ProxySG is kind of useless, but we don't need all of those other features.
Matthias Geiser's profile image
Broadcom Knight Matthias Geiser
Hi,
it is true that the BCIS standard subscription will soon be end of sale.

But BCIS advanced should still be available outside of the wep-protect-sup bundle: IS-AWAA-SWG-SUB

As you mentioned the Web Protection Suite subscription contains IS Advanced, ProxySG, CAS and many other features. With that in mind you would not need to renew your existing SG-VA ProxySG subscription. Depending on the number of users you have the web protection suite is a very reasonable priced package.

Please be aware that you need to reinstall the virtual proxies with a new serial number while migrating to Web Protection Suite.

If you still have hardware proxy appliances (s400/s500, that are not yet end of life) you would need the IS-AWAA-SWG-SUB in any case as the web-protection-sub does not contain licenses for the old hardware appliances.

Best regards, Matthias
Ahmet CALIS's profile image
Ahmet CALIS
I dpn't how much it's expensive but you will have all the components below with WPS. It is cheaper like that unlike buying all the components alone.

fida's profile image
fida
Thank you both.
We meanwhile found out that the BCIS Standard subscription still exists as well (IS-SWSA-SWG) and when you license the Web Protection Suite, Broadcom says that it will supply you with BCIS licenses for the S-appliances, so that you can continue to use the existing hardware alongside the WPS licenses on new platforms.

Of course WPS is cheaper than licensing all the stuff listed by Ahmet separately, but compared to the Intelligence Services alone it's a huge increase in price. This forces customers to either accept much higher prices at the next renewal or switch to a competitor, which does not follow the pattern: "If you want to use ONE product of our portfolio, you have to buy ALL of them."
Hi,

I agree that WPS is more expensive than just BCIS. But to use Intelligence Service you have at least ProxySG, and most probably also CAS and a file inspection license (AV) as well. If you have hardware appliances these will be end of life soon and need to be replaced anyways. If you have virtual proxies and CAS you can just dump these and install new virtual appliances that are included in the WPS subscription. Even if you do not use WSS, Isolation and all the other features it will most likely get less expensive than before and you can use additional features if you want.

Best regards, Matthias
fida's profile image
fida
Hello Matthias,
I wish this was true. In all the quotes we received from Broadcom, WPS was more expensive than BCIS Standard + File Inspection + Hardware Support for ProxySG and CAS together. And by more expensive I mean excessively more expensive. If you have seen other prices then I'm interested in them.

It's true that with WPS you don't need to buy additional hardware appliances anymore, but the hardware is already there, it's paid for and it's not EOL. Yet the only way forward seems to be WPS.
rockchick's profile image
rockchick
I don't have an answer to this but am following as my customer is in the same situation.  I have a question which hopefully someone here will be able to answer - when transferring from BCIS/Kaspersky licenses to WPS licenses, is there anything we need to do on the proxy to facilitate the license update?  Customer has ASGs.  Thanks in advance
Sylvain LAURENT's profile image
Sylvain LAURENT
>I don't have an answer to this but am following as my customer is in the same situation.  I have a question which hopefully someone here will be able to answer - when transferring from BCIS/Kaspersky licenses to WPS licenses, is there anything we need to do on the proxy to facilitate the license update?  Customer has ASGs.  Thanks in advance

For your information, I'm in the process of switching to WPS licenses and it requires a change of serial number. This change of S/N requires a factory reset of proxies and CAS :-(
rockchick's profile image
rockchick
Thank you Sylvain

I guess if it's a change of serial number this can only apply to the virtual appliances, and WPS licenses just won't work at all on existing hardware appliances?
Sylvain LAURENT's profile image
Sylvain LAURENT
I wouldn't know for WPS on hardware appliances. The HW I have is being phased out in favor of virtual appliances, for which I have to use the new S/N tied to the WPS license.
Dear rockchick,

if your customer has an existing ASG and wants to buy WPS licenses you have to make sure that you renew the ASG subscriptions (as before) but for a **** low price. So you have to renew the existing serial numbers for ASG and IS. WPS does not include Kaspersky, only Symantec AV. So make sure that the Symantec license is attached to the ASG and the ASG is configured accordingly. For details see the licensing guide for partners or ask your distributor.

Best regards, Matthias
fida's profile image
fida
Hello rockchick,
the WPS licenses do not work on the S200/S400/S500 appliances. However Broadcom offered us support, File Inspection and Intelligence Services licenses for those appliances at no additional cost when ordering WPS licenses.
The serial numbers on hardware appliances do not change, we also did not have to make any configuration changes when switching from Kaspersky to Symantec. But I recommend to have a close look at the systems while they update the license nevertheless.
Wasfi Bounni's profile image
Broadcom Knight Wasfi Bounni

What is the SKU for WPS please?

The SKU für Web Protection is WEB-PROTECT-SUB.