Endpoint Encryption

View Only

Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 1903 with SEE 11.1.2 installed

Jump to Best Answer
michael.kraft's profile image
michael.kraft posted Nov 09, 2020 02:35 PM
I'm on a Windows 7 laptop that is running SEE 11.1.2. SEE 11.1.2 is remotely managed. My company is pushing out a Windows 10 (1903) upgrade using Software Center.  The upgrade is named W10_1903 and needs to be manually started, so I'm assuming it's upgrading to version 1903.  I've tried asking various support people if installing Windows 10 1903 on top of Windows 7 with SEE 11.1.2 installed and the drive encrypted is possible/safe, but I don't think anyone really knows.  At least not anyone I can directly communicate with.

Based on How to upgrade computers encrypted with Symantec Endpoint Encryption to a Windows 10 release it doesn't even look like SEE 11.1.2 supports Windows 10 1903.  Can anyone confirm whether upgrading to Win 10 1903 from Win 7 is even possible with SEE 11.1.2 installed?
Blake Thomas's profile image
Broadcom Employee Blake Thomas Best Answer
You're correct that SEE 11.1.2 should not be used when attempting to upgrade to Win10 1903, as it is not supported for that target platform. Some items were added to later versions of SEE to make the 7 to 10 migration much easier as well. Your first step would be up get that SEE agent upgraded.

If your company is allowing the upgrade to 1903, I would imagine they would have tested that with Disk Encryption in your environment including those with Disk Encryption on their machines. Hopefully that is the case. Perhaps they have an upgraded server but your agent is just not up to date. Are you able to request and upgrade to your SEE agent through your IT team? I would also ask them if they have prepared for OS migrations like yours for that upgrade package. 

Your other option would be to decrypt your hard drive completely and then update to Win10, but even then the SEE 11.1.2 agent is still incompatible with 1903. For 1903, you would need at least SEE 11.3.0, and the most recent version is 11.3.1.
michael.kraft's profile image
michael.kraft
Assuming you mean the SEE Management Agent, according to the about screen it is 11.1.2.