Deployment Solution

View Only

Need a way to reimage BIOS/MBT devices

Cody Dirrigle's profile image
Cody Dirrigle posted Mar 24, 2021 07:55 PM
We have a large amount of devices that where win 7 and got inplaced upgraded to win 10, these devices didn't have secure boot enabled and are not GPT

When these come back to be reimaged techs need to turn the secure boot to enabled and then do a drive wipe from win pe and they image fine.

The thing I am trying to work through and guessing I'm just missing a simple step is how to get this to work with automation.

1. I have a task in windows that will change HP bios setting to secure boot enabled, but the issue being when the device reboots it of course can't boot since now it can't read the drive, so I need to move that later in the process.

2. The biggest pain what steps do I need to do to wipe that drive? Since if I just run the convert to GPT and try to deploy the automation image it fails since it can't find a place to image to. So I'm guessing I need to partition the drive after the convert to GPT?

In the normal image process are drives look like this afterwards:

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 System 9 GB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Reserved 128 MB 9 GB
Partition 3 Primary 934 GB 9 GB

So using the partition job is there something I need to do that gets the layout correct so the image can be layed down?

Hopefully it can then boot enough into windows that I can set the secure boot enbaled but maybe that won't even work?

As you can tell for some reason this whole process is stumping me, anyone done anything like this have a better way?