CA Top Secret

View Only

[askCA TRANSCRIPT] CA Mainframe Security: Access Control – May 16, 2018 

May 29, 2018 10:14 AM

from Lenn Thompson (CA) to Everyone:

@Everyone: Good morning and thank you for joining our first-ever askCA session for Mainframe Security. We have a team of experts here today. What questions do you have?

from Tom Breuer to Everyone:

We use TSS essentially as a stand-alone product. Our GUIs are TSS WebAdmin and a home grown set of screens. Is CA considering supporting or creating another TSS GUI? Or is there one that I don't know about?

The reason I ask is that when we perform certain actions (e.g. create ACIDs), we'd like to run some custom scripts to add things like TSOACCT, etc.. Our current green screen GUI does this for us... of course the current, homegrown green screen GUI is about 40 years old... nuff said! :)

from John Pinkowski to Everyone:

@Tom with the constant updating and changing of web technologies, keeping current has been a difficult task...we are looking at options for interfaces to serve our customer base going forward.     

@tom I would be happy to have a detailed discussion with you as we move forward. 

@tom - Just in case how about you reach out to me at john.pinkowski@ca.com

@K Harris: Welcome to the chat. Do you have any questions for our team of MF security experts?

from K Harris to Everyone:

Thanks for the welcome.  I do have a question regarding the CSFKEYS SYMCPACFWRAP(YES) option

@K Harris - Can you you be a little more specific?

yes, I am typing my question now

it's a bit lengthy

@Hunny: Welcome to our chat. Do you have any questions for the team?

I have also noticed when attempting to investigate these access issues that TSS does not seem to recognize SYMCPACFWRAP when using TSSSIM. 

we are currently on TSS 16 AUTH(MERGE,ALLMERGE)

We are seeing access issues when granting CSFKEYS with option SYMCPACFWRAP(YES)

For some users, when granting the access, it works fine. But for others, I have to re-order profiles in order to resolve the issue

from Joseph Porto to Everyone:

Please open a ticket with support so we can pursue further..we will need additional information.

this is a bit confusing since we are using AUTH(MERGE,ALLMERGE)

okay...I apologize if this was not the correct platform for addressing this...thanks

Will need to look at listings....and look at SECTRACE...

from Hunny Sachdeva to Everyone:

@Lenn, thank you. I do not have anything specific, but I may have in future as I will be working on MF security projects. I just joined to see if I can learn something from other user's questions/response.

@Hunny: Well thanks for joining us. You did miss a couple questions that may not be showing up in yoru chat, but you'll be able to see them when I post the transcript in the community later today/tomorrow.

Not a problem all....we are happy to answer the question.  But since this is a open forum we really dont want to be revealing information about your security environment..

@Joseph agreed and appreciated

@Joseph: Thank you, sir.

@Everyone: Do we have any other questions for our team today?

not at this time

Does CA recommend having naming standards for ACIDs and profiles? Is there a list of best practices recommended by CA?

The naming of acid varies from site to site and based on clients needs.

Agreed. Do most CA clients have naming standards?

In your experience, does having naming standards help with the implementation of further CA products like the Identity Suite, etc.?

PROFILE however are generally name by the of activity

related to that profiles.

@tom - One interesting new enhancement that was just delivered for TSS/ACF2 is the ability to map email addresses to ACIDs.  With more workloads coming in from other platforms the ability to map an email to an ACID seems to be the directlon we are going.

Example. systems programmer would have a SYSPROGS profile

I didn't know about that ability. That sound good. Is that part of TSS v16?

You may want to check your security site standards...they may help you with the naming convention you use at your site..

You may also have site standards that may require you to name things a certain way..

@Joseph - We are moving to a process where each utility has it's own naming convention (covered by a global standard). We're spending a lot of time on it because we see future benefit, I just want to see what others have / are / will do.

@Joseph - I wrote the standard! :)

@tom -  With our continuous delivery model we delivered that in PTF SO00816.  The first IBM component to exploit the use of the new support was JES2.    

A good place to discuss this would be at the support.ca.com Mainframe Community Board...to see what others are doing.

@joseph - I tried that. No response.

I have seen acids name constructed from a user’s real name..

@John - I will follow up with our TSS team about that and how we can use that.

I ve seen some use initial and some identifying number as the next 6 characters

@joseph - two of the keys we use for profiles system name and state (e.g. test state). So far, it seems to help us, but I want to see if it will help us as we implement further CA IDM tools.

@everyone - anyone else have a naming standard? (I am not looking for details on it).

Some use the first 6 characters of the last name...and then 2 digits....

The NAME field for acids and PROFILES allows for a lot more characters...can be used to store more useful information about the acid or profile..

you can also create custom fields to store information...like a social security number field or phone number...

we use custom fields to store additional descriptive info about ACIDS

we also use naming conventions for ACIDs based on type and environment (Prod, DEV, etc.)

@Joseph - we can create custom fields in TSS? Do you have a link to the TSS DOCOPS page where it shows how to do that? That too would be helpful.

@Everyone: Do we have any last-minute questions? We're almost at the end of our time.

@tom - One item to keep in mind with PCI and GDPR rules you have to ensure you control the information you store in your TSS database.  People tend to forget to ensure backups and CIA databases as secured as your TSS databases.  

from Kris to Everyone:

One DocOps link for the NAME item that Mr. Porto mentioned: https://docops.ca.com/ca-top-secret-for-z-os/16-0/en/using/issuing-commands-to-communicate-administrative-requirements/keywords/name-keywordassociate-an-acid-with-a-name

@John. Agreed. But to have a searchable field in TSS would be helpful for some of what we think we want to do.

@Kris - Thanks

@Everyone: Okay folks, let's wrap it up for this month. Thank you SO much for joining our first askCA in this community. See you next time!

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.